Hello from VT

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by adk_finn, Sep 8, 2017.

1. adk_finn

adk_finn New Member

United States
    Map
    Hi everyone,

I joined because I am reading up on and shopping for a nice 5th Gen VFR (98-99 only) to add to the stable. Doing plenty of reading and learning some of the more nuanced issues and mods for these great bikes. Hoping to find a nice bike this fall, but not in a huge rush. It will be cozying up and competing for ride time with my 1981 CB750F: https://photos.app.goo.gl/qVYfZ8e62PmDb1qp1

If you have a lead on a bike for sale, feel free to message me. My current short list is 98-99, red, under 30k mi, excellent condition, good maintenance records, quality aftermarket parts/mods/upgrades a plus. Hoping to buy in the $2,500-$3,000 range based on what I am seeing on fleabay, CL, etc.

2. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Hi adk-finn and welcome to the MadHouse

That sounds a well thought through plan.

It may also be worth checking out the advertisements part of the forum from time to time just in case something suitable appears.

Good luck with the search and if (or when) you find the right bike, please pop back and post up a few photos.

Take care ATGATT

SkiMad

3. adk_finn

adk_finn New Member

United States
    Map
    Thank you for the welcome. I have been cruising the classifieds here and keeping an eye on CL. Another member here recently sold a nice '98 on CL pretty close to me. We had discussed his bike, it was a nice one and I was tempted but it I wasn't quite ready to commit and it sold. I am patient and optimistic that something will come along that strikes my fancy in due time.

4. adk_finn

adk_finn New Member

United States
    Map
    Well I joined the circus officially last week. A nice, clean, low mile, Honda shop maintained, and most importantly fast fast fast :Cool: red 98 5th Gen popped up pretty local to me. I bought the bike from a nice guy who decided to let it go due to time constraints and lack of use. Between a young family and deployments he'd only had the bike out once in the last couple of years. 25k mi, very nice condition and well cared for. I have tires waiting to go on (the current rear is spanked), new front pads on hand, and have been checking the bike out bit by bit but it runs and rides pretty nicely already. It is a world apart from the older bikes I am used to riding around and it also feels pretty light compared to my CB750F. Not a good pic but here she is:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/vdFxighALKMw4uXA2

Current setup: Stock aside from a DB windscreen, TB slip on (sounds great), upgraded R/R (I need to verify the specific part).

My short list is as follows:
    -tires
    -brake pads
    -brake flush, caliper rebuild as necessary, stainless lines? (keeping the linked brakes for now, but I may wait on the stainless lines to see if I decide to ditch the linked brakes sooner than later)
    -coolant flush, new t-stat (t-stat is original from what I can tell), check hoses for deterioration and replace as necessary
    -starter valve sync
    -oil change
    -new air filter
    -stompgrip (I feel like I slide forward way too much on this bike and the naked tank doesn't provide any real grip for my knees)

Future list:
    -PAIR block off mod
    -different mirrors, I have broad shoulders and the stock position doesn't work (same on nearly all bikes for me). I will probably install convex bar end mirrors as I have had good luck with them in the past. I prefer them to be lower and a little further out of my forward vision also.
    -sliders
    -led headlight bulbs
    -header & high mount can(wish list, but I'd love to find a set that is better than a stock replacement... Tyga if/when that actually happens?)
    -DMr suspension, I am 6'2", 240lb and the stock suspension is clearly a bit soft for my weight.
    -tweak the peg height a little lower perhaps.

Let me know your thoughts and what I may be missing. I have a factory workshop manual and plan on running through it. I am planning on examining, cleaning, and lubing all my electrical connections and grounds also. Thanks for all the great threads already, I have been reading, searching, and learning a lot.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
    Samuel likes this.
  5. skimad4x4

France
    Map
  6. adk_finn

adk_finn New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks SkiMad. I will run the prescribed tests in that thread. Does anyone have first hand opinions on the Roadstercycle volt meter diode? link here: http://roadstercycle.com/Motorcycle voltage monitor.htm

I run a similar unit on my CB750F in conjunction with an ammeter diode and they are great. That unit runs via a small control unit and it includes a photo sensor which allows the LED's to be auto-dimming, a very nice feature. How bright is the RC unit at night? I prefer low instrument lighting, no reason to diminish night vision unnecessarily.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
  7. adk_finn

adk_finn New Member

United States
    Map
    Update time -

Done:

T30 EVO f&r - Very nice, very predictable, plenty of grip, lean in is smooth and linear (400mi on these so far)

HH pads all around - Fronts were getting close to end of life, so I swapped them all now and will complete a full brake system service later. Calipers and pistons look good, fluid looked good enough to run for the short remainder of fall riding. A full flush and stainless lines are up next. I love these brake pads.

Lighting upgrades - LED bulbs in headlights (very bright, slightly more glare than stock, need to see if adjusting aiming lower brings this within acceptable limits without affecting the pattern too much), LED taillight upgrade (bright, light smoke look, aesthetically a big improvement), light smoke front turn signals to match. Oh, vanity.

New air filter - Emgo factory style replacement, the K&N that came out was filthy and an older style (smaller filter element) part.

On Deck:

upgraded R/R from Roadstercycle (the replacement part in my bike is the Honda "upgraded" version, tests fine at idle, but voltage is dropping at revs) and voltmeter on the way.

PAIR mod from Mello Dude on the way. Hopefully this solves the 4k-5k rpm decel popping with the TBR exhaust.

clocks/instrument lighting upgrade - red? blue? something else? LED's in hand just need to decide which color I like best.

Off-season:

thermostat replacement
    starter vavle sync
    valley cooling hoses - inspect/replace as necessary
    airbox and stack mods?
    coolant system flush
    brake system flush
    clutch system flush
    clean & repack wheel bearings

The wanted list:

stainless performance header - Used if a unicorn appears, new if any of the ones on vfrd ever materialize and become available. Otherwise I am planning on blasting and coating my factory header.
    high mount carbon fiber can - mostly vanity, gotta let that single sided swingarm shine.

8. Samuel

Samuel Member

United States
    Map
    Looks great Nate! :)

9. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    Welcome!

10. adk_finn

adk_finn New Member

United States
    Map
    Silly question time - Does my name appear in my profile? I can't find it.

Thanks for the compliments gentlemen.

11. JimFife777

JimFife777 New Member

Map
    Welcome. The first bike I rode on the street regularly was a '71 CB750 (with an RC836 kit motor) that was my dad's. I was about 130 lbs soaking wet so you can imagine the handful it could be.

Fun times. Good luck finding a VFR, you'll love it

12. skimad4x4

France
    Map
    Silly question time - Does my name appear in my profile? I can't find it. - it certainly appears on your photo host .. :)

13. adk_finn

adk_finn New Member

United States
    Map
    Hi Jim, I found one already! I do love it. Details posted earlier in the thread.

14. adk_finn

adk_finn New Member

United States
    Map
    yes, thanks. That dawned on me later after I had posted my question. Google photo is nice, I don't know if I can toggle the personal details, I will have to check.

15. 3dcycle

3dcycle New Member

United States
    Map
    Where in VT are you?

16. adk_finn

adk_finn New Member

United States
    Map
    Just outside of Montpelier in central VT. Are we neighbors?

edit - St.J, nice area, we are close. I mostly ride alone or with a friend of mine who rides an old CB750 that we have been working on. Are there any good groups up your way?

17. 3dcycle

3dcycle New Member

United States
    Map

Yup st j area, decent roads in the area, I spend as much time in NY as possible but consider the entire state and northern NH my stomping grounds.

adk_finn likes this.
  18. adk_finn

adk_finn New Member

United States
    Map
    Yeah I grew up on the north end of Lake George and still a bit of time over there. I haven't ridden in NH that much, but am planning on it for next season.

19. 3dcycle

3dcycle New Member

United States
    Map
    Been going to americade for years,
    Well we will have to get together for a rod next year

20. adk_finn

adk_finn New Member

United States
    Map
    Sounds good to me. I am still hoping to get a little riding in this year. App Gap has been calling my name lately, it is in pretty good shape at present (which seems like a rarity) and I am enjoying using it for practice.