hello, I'm considering a VFR800 as my next but unsure of compatability

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by BoneJj, Jan 19, 2012.

1. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    My impression from most folks is that the vfr got worse for leg heat on later models.

2. BoneJj

BoneJj New Member

which one do you have and how bad is it?

3. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    hmm, I have never noticed it even if I wear jeans instead of leathers or aerostich... you mean the 6g, tink? I don't reacall it bothering me on the 6th or 7th also but not near as much seat time on those?

4. DaHose

DaHose New Member

United States
    Map
    Heat coming out the right side is not an issue at all on my 5th gen.

Jose

5. pap11y

pap11y New Member

Map
    Another option is these: Spiegler Performance Parts -

I have just ordered mine and have 2-3 weeks until their arrival..

I have lowered the bike 40mm (with a lowering link) and have adjusted my front forks accordingly. Bike is much more stable.

I have lost a fair bit of clearance though.

I'll let you know what the bars are like as soon as I get them installed. The comfort of the bike for me is heaps better with the height adjustment (I don't seem to be getting a numb pointer finger anymore on long hikes (Don't know if poor riding technique causes this anyaway) but it does seem more comfortable.

I like the look of the handlebars more than the Heli's...

I have never had an issue with finger licking good legs (though I have known some women worthy of the title...).

I ride daily with jeans or leathers. If you are wearing shorts it might be an issue. If you wear shorts when you ride though... I think you have bigger issues to worry about :)

6. BoneJj

BoneJj New Member

very informative pap, I will have to keep a look out for that info, this should be a very good solution for any issues I might have. I didn't realize there was an attachment point their on the triple tree. what bars did you order to go with them?

7. pap11y

pap11y New Member

Map
    I got the standard bar shape in gold..

Cost a bit more but will match my ohlins goodies :)

8. karazy

karazy New Member

Canada
    Map
    If you want a smooth, comfortable ride, that isn't ugly as sin and still a little sporty, you should check out the ST1100. With the corbin seat and Helibars, you can ride it forever, with no discomfort. There is no vibration to speak of (V4) and it really is a sport touring bike.

9. BoneJj

BoneJj New Member

I've actually looked at that one and can't get past that huge windshield, the new st1300s are nice but when you want to remove the rear bags it looks like garbage because of the goofy moldings they put on the bike to make it look better when the cases are on the bike... That's why the other bike I'm considering is the FJR1300 which that isn't an issue. I was looking at the concours14 as well but the 2006+ FJR is better in terms of features and so on. It's also supposed to perform a little better but IDK...

10. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    yes, comment made in reference to 6th. I have to move my exhaust pipe on the project bike and Toe made a reference to how it should help the chronic toasty right foot.

I think my 3rd gen is quite warm compared with other bikes.

11. BoneJj

BoneJj New Member

well, over the weekend I went and looked at a few bikes. I found one dealer that had a good couple used bikes that I have been looking at. I took a couple of the bikes for a ride, they actually let you ride the used bikes as long as they aren't SS bikes. I took out a FZ1 and fell in love with... It's the perfect bike for me, the vibration is not nearly what it is on my vn900b and it's just a pleasure to ride. I took it down one of the higher speed roads and got out to an open area and let it open up a little and damn that thing just wanted to scream along like it was nothing. and what a comfortable ride. I wouldn't mind a change in risers, 1 1/2 up and 1 1/2 back but other than that is was just right. I saw a guy that was there for the free hot dogs they were giving out and he had the side fairings on his fz1. they will work great for wind protection for the longer trips I like to take.

I almost walked away with the bike but inthe process of figuring out numbers I came across the fact that the bike had an oil leak. I told them that they would have to address that before I couldn't even consider the bike and at this point I'm not sure that I want to even consider it as I don't want to deal with a bike that has had any kind of issues. It seems that the exhaust was causing it all to burn off on the bottom of the bike instead of dripping. So now I am on the hunt for a lightly used FZ1 or I may just go nuts and buy one new... lol.

12. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    Are you kidding me? Cuz the bike had a few drips? The leak is so slow that it burns off on the exhaust before puddling and you won't consider it even after they fix the weaping???

:doh:

Good luck

13. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Gawd and I thought that this was a V-Four forum. My cloudy burnt out brain still remembers that the FZ1 was a nuetered R1 with some cam changes etc.

14. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    If it leaks only enough that is showed up on the exhaust and gets burned off, I really don't see what the issue is. Unless you are anal about these things. And don't get me wrong because I am. My 22 year old driveway has no oil spots visible.

I have a similar leak that will get fixed by replacing a gasket. But otherwise, so long as the engine has enough oil to operate safely, and you are not leaving a mess on the ground, who the fuck cares? I think you will find that you change the oil before you have to add to it. Shit! My bike is less than 5 years old, has close to 90,000 miles on it. I have had it since it was new (in the crate still) and I have never added oil to this bike. Even after some real long and hard trips.

15. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    Here is my opinion.

There are many fantastic bikes out there, but the VFR 800i is very smoooooth. It isn't a powerhouse, but it can perform with most other motorcycles in twisty corners - pretty much. It's a compromise, right? I can ride mine 400+ miles per day and it feels great!

So, take your pick. I would buy a VFR. If it doesn't make you happy, sell it and buy a different bike.

16. BoneJj

BoneJj New Member

That's apart of my problem, I have kind of extreme OCD issues when it comes to things like that. To me it's a sign that the previous owner probably didn't take care of the bike like he should have and in my mind I'm thinking if he neglected that, what else did he neglect. It's a simple thing there but to me it looks more like a drop in the bucket kind of thing. One thing leads to another.

I know, I'm a little nuts about it but I keep my cars and everything for the long haul. my first truck I had I kept till it had 200k on it and my more recent truck only had 90k on it before I decided to get my current WRX, I felt the need to switch to a car but now I miss having a truck... lol. My first bike I had for 50k miles and change, I use my stuff a lot and I want to make sure it's right when I get it so I can ensure a nice long life span. I don't like cleaning up other peoples messes. Normally I buy new, but this time I was looking at used to save some cash but it looks like I'm going to have to go new unless a proper bike pops up and the owner is just as OCD as me or at least even a fraction... lol.

17. Meatloaf

Meatloaf New Member

United States
    Map
    FYI, the rise issue coming ff your bars might be as simple as just sliding the clip ons up on the fork tubes a bit. If you are running the stock fork height in the clamps, you should be able to raise the bars about half an inch easily and still have the entire clip on on the fork tube. This plus a change in the grips took care of a majority of the comfort issues I had on my 6th Gen. I have discovered that it isn't enough for 500 mile trips but it is enough for 200-300 miles.

18. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Back to your concern about vibrations. Just ride one and see. I think the only thing that would vibrate less would be an electric. The V4 vibrates, but it's about the smoothest bike I've ridden. I can't think of any off the top of my head that are smoother.

19. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    When I cut my lawn, the lines are perfectly straight. Get the picture> My first car I had and drove for 23 years and sold it for $150.00 more than I paid for it back when a two year old Le Mans convertible was $3,200.00 My present truck is a 2003 and is like brand new. Hey. You must be my long lost twin brother. But I was first born so have seniority. Buy the VFR. This is not a request.

20. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    So many motorcycles, so little time . . .