hello, I'm considering a VFR800 as my next but unsure of compatability

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by BoneJj, Jan 19, 2012.

1. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
  2. danr915

danr915 New Member

Hey Bone..
    I'm think of a new bike. I have an 08 with 16,xxx miles on it if your interested. I'm in Port Charlotte,FL. PM me

3. BoneJj

BoneJj New Member

damn, someone that actually lives in my area with a bike??/ WTF? lol, yeah, I'll hit you up. maybe we can meet up this weekend.

4. danr915

danr915 New Member

Are you in PC? sorry, but I'm out of town this weekend.

5. BoneJj

BoneJj New Member

I'm actually down in punta gorda. so not far off at all..... though I go between PG and out in almost englewood a lot.

6. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    dont buy a 600 cc bike, they are kinda like disposable units if you get my jist. Any VFR will serve you well for years, and it has mulit-uses were-as a 600 cc bike is designed with racing in mind (which no-body does anyway) and then the garbage can. Just my 2 cents...I been to PG a while ago, you going to the Sea-Food Fest in Everglades City this weekend?

7. BoneJj

BoneJj New Member

I'm actually now mainly looking at the yamaha FZ1 and the Kawasaki ninja 1000, both are pretty comfortable bikes I just need to go take a ride on a Ninja 1000, they have a demo bike at one of the dealers north of me so me and a friend are going for a drive to the dealer to check it out. If all goes well I will have to make the decision between the 2 bikes. but the ninja 1000 is a new model as of 2011 and I will basically have to buy it new as there are no used ones on the market just yet.

at least not enough of them.....

As for the 600s I looked at a few of them and none of them were comfortable at all to me. The seats on them just sucked big time! way too thin for my butt. The vfr800 seat was actually pretty comfortable to me and so are the other 2 bikes I'm looking at as well. I disagree that they are throw away bikes though, I have run into a good number of people that have 600s and have had them for quite a few years and really enjoy them. They have the power to get you going and keep you excited but not enough power to get your jacked up too easily. My good friend mike has been riding a 600 for the last 6-7 years now and doesn't want anything bigger... plus a couple of his friends ride 600s as well and are quite happy with them.

I have noticed that they are all short though, lol.

8. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    600s are suited for smaller people, and like you discovered the seats suck! because they are designed as race-track weapons with lousy street ergonomics. You can hold onto one those bikes if you take care of em, for the most part all the 600s that are around here and even back up North, used to have the snot ridden out of em by younger people. So, hence the disposablity aspect.

Ninja 1000 would be a bike I would consider heavily. Nice scooter!

9. BoneJj

BoneJj New Member

The FZ1 is right along with the ninja 1000, it also has available side fairings that make it look and perform the part it should as an upright positioned bike. I've already taken one out and almost bought it but then I found an oil leak on it and told them they would need to address that before anything else could be discussed on the bike.

But then I found out about the competition and now I have to go take a look at that one first then make a decision.

Not all 600s though are street racing bikes, the FZ6R is designed as a street fighter, basically like the FZ1 and the ninja 1k. There are a couple other bikes out there as well that fit the bill but not that many. I know my friends bike is a damn rocket, he let me take it out over this last weekend and that damn thing revs out to 15k and just wants you to use all of it, at 11k or so it really gets happy and just likes to be used. It's a fast bike but I wasn't impressed with it's low speed maneuvering or even it's at speed maneuvering either. You just have to fight with it too much, he's got a cbr600rr. It's a nice bike but just not for me. The seat on that one was actually pretty comfortable as well... compared to other smaller bikes I've been on.

They really should make some more bikes in the street fighter class though, there are way too many race replicas and not enough functionable bikes on the market...

10. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I'd think real hard about the FZ1 if you seriously have a problem with vibration. Ride one for a couple hours before you buy one. The last one I rode had my wrists hurting within minutes and at them time I was riding hundreds of miles a week.

11. BoneJj

BoneJj New Member

The one I was on wasn't bad, what year bike did you ride?

12. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    My VFR does not "buzz" at any RPM. It feels like an electric motorcycle. It can throb if a guy rolls on the throttle in a high gear at low RPM, but why would anyone want to do that?

13. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Not sure but it had carbs instead of FI if that narrows it down any...

14. ignoreance

ignoreance New Member

I guess a question that I would have is what are you putting your price range? Most people will find that the VFR isn't that bad on the wrists. The reason why most don't go higher on the bars on a VFR isn't really is you run out of cable so you can't go higher. I think there is a company by LSL or spiegler that makes both a different riser and the longer cable kits. Tank may also be an issue. With any bike its what you feel comfortable on. The only vibration that I noticed on the VFR gen 6 was right before the transition point which for the 2008 was at about 9x mph (if memory serves me correct) in sixth gear around 6500RPM and never a problem. Most riding is done out side of that. Plus you are probably picking up more road vibration that is adding to the problem at 9x mph. The new FZ6R seemed really buzzy as my wife owned one it would buzz in like ever other thousand RPM range like 5k but not in 6k 7k-9 was buzzing consistent. The foot pegs were located in the wrong spot when you put your legs down they would hit them all the time. Both wife and myself had that problem.

Wife is now on a Ducati Monster 696 which you might like too. Can't speak how it rides but she raves about it its new so she doesn't want any body riding it.

15. BoneJj

BoneJj New Member

Its her toy and she wants to play... lol. I don't blame her. I'd be curious as to what her opinion on vibration is on it. I'll have to look that bike up. Their bikes tend to be pricey, a new ninja 1000 might be about as high of a price as I'm willing to go.

16. BoneJj

BoneJj New Member

Okay so that is like a 2005 or earlier, I'm looking at the 2007 and newer, 07 they fixed some throttle issues that the new 06 had.

17. BoneJj

BoneJj New Member

well, I got the chance to take another bike out for a test ride and I settled on it as my next bike, It was just too comfortable to not like, lol.

Ninja 1000

So yeah, not a vfr, but oh well, I was looking at the new vfr1200 but the price tag on that is just too much for me. The ninja was just an all around nice fit in just about every way. So now I just need to get my bike sold off and get things going....

18. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Several of us on here like the new Ninja. It's a little bland compared to a VFR, but it's still a solid choice.

19. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    Nice choice. Enjoy it!

20. DaHose

DaHose New Member

United States
    Map
    The new Ninja 1000 is getting rave reviews as the king of value in that class of bike. My boss is seriously thinking about one for himself. Although I let him ride my 2000 and now he is on the hunt for one. :cool:

VFR's are one of the best all-around bikes of all time. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Jose