hello, new to vfr, new bike questions

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by not-quite-yet, Mar 23, 2010.

1. not-quite-yet

not-quite-yet New Member

I'm looking at a 1995 vfr 750, red in color (thats gotta matter) with 42,000 miles, and apparently a clear (not a rebuild) title. Body work seems to be all there from the CL ad, and the owner says he's replaced the clutch, along with the clutch resevior.

1) First, is it generally normal for a clutch to wear out in only 42,000 miles on a vfr ? Would this be a sign of abuse/neglect ?

2) Is the clutch replacement easily done by shadetrees, and if so, what should I look for as far as fudge marks around the covers that might show a poorly done job ?

3) Are there any normal (yet expensive) problems to check for on a 1995 with this many miles ?

4) Is a well maintained bike of 42000 worth 2000-3000 ?

about me: I'm still a new 2 wheel rider, just over 30,000 miles under my belt on a gs500 which will go away to a new, very happy owner this week. I have no need for speed, and enjoy twisties more than wheelies. Not to say i never pop one ;) but it's not a perogative.

I have kids. And responsibilities. I haven't had a moving violation on two wheels, but PLENTY of them earlier in life with 4 wheels. I LOVE commuting on my bike, and really don't have time for epic 3-4 day adventures.

I'm tall. Like, throw some green leaves at me and kids will try to build a play house on my arms.

So, this leads to: "Is this the right bike for me ?" Will I love the ergos of the stock bars for commuting, or will I hate them and immediately want to replace the triple with an up-n-back riser setup ?

Lots of questions, hopefully I've posted in the right place, and the viffer gods here will be kind.

Also, my bikes of interest are: fz6, weestrom, gs500, ex500 (neenja), vfr500, concours (oops), and sv650. The nakeder the betterer.

2. adamjenkins

adamjenkins New Member

Map
    Hi welcome
    I think replacing the clutch is not very difficult ,------- as long as they know what they are doing.
    There is the rectifier regulator issue.
    I think if the bike has been taken care and properly maintained---brakes,valves,fluids,etc......it is worth the money.the engines were built pretty stout..

In regards to comfort, I am 6'3' 220 and find the bike very comfortable to ride..no complaints

3. Fazer1Sniper

Fazer1Sniper New Member

Welcome to the World. The gen 4 is a stout bike. 42K aint bad at all and the price is not out of line.

4. sparky40sw

sparky40sw New Member

United States
    Map
    I have a 1995, purchased in 2011 with 12k miles, 31 k now - the stator and regulator /rectifier each left me stranded with a dead battery, not expensive per se, but annoying ($200 with labor for each) I replaced the stock springs as they are wet noodles under a big guy (+225 lbs or with any size passenger)
    I am looking at replacing the clutch for a bit more bite and ease of lifting the front wheel an inch or two of the pavement on acceleration. This is not fast bike - top end around 140, but it does get to 90+ in a serious hurry - so hang on the bars tightly at the beginning.

5. Michael S

Michael S New Member

Denmark
    Map
    I've only had mine for a couple of months, but based on that I will say it's a wonderful bike. Just in the right spot between sport and comfort for me. When I bought it, I sold my 2011 Suz GSX 650 F, and despite the Honda being 15 years older it just feels so much better. It really feels like it was built to last...solid and still very, very smooth after 21 years on the roads.

Yes, there's the regulator/rectifier issue, but any bike will have its weaknesses. And the VFR is certainly said to be one of the most reliable bikes money can buy. So don't let the RR issue scare you away. I recently replaced the RR on mine with a Schnabel which supposedly is near bullet proof, but that was just because I came across it, not because there was a problem with the old one.

I can't speak for the ergo for a guy big as a tree :) . I am 5' 10" and the bike is very comfortable for me. But take it for a spin if you can.

Good luck!

6. auggius

auggius New Member

United States
    Map
    I have 182K km on my 1995. It's stock except for an Ohlins shock and Race Tech fork springs and valves.

Only issue has been the r/r, which I replaced at 80K and 160K. I installed the VFRness the last time. I'm on my 3rd chain and original clutch. I checked the valves every 25K until 100K and finally had to adjust them at 166K. Other than that it's been routine maintenance and tires.

I'm 5'10" and the ergos are perfect for me. There isn't much room to raise the clipons before contacting the fairings though I did have 1/2" risers for a short time while I had some neck issues. You can also lower the foot pegs 1" to 1.5" if you need more leg room.

I used to be a daily rider commuting to work in the city. Weekend was fun riding but I had to go a couple hundred km to get to the fun stuff. Now I'm a country mouse and just ride for pleasure. I'm just a few blocks away from the start of one of the best riding roads in the province. The VFR is a refined bike, sporty enough in the twisties and comfortable enough for the long ride. For touring I throw on a Wingrack and 2 side cases.

Now about your bike. 42K miles isn't much for these bikes but has it been ridden lately or been in storage? Clutch replacement does raise some warning bells with me but I don't do burnouts or wheelies.
    Check that the bodywork all fits together tightly. At this age some panels may be missing tabs or be cracked, particularly the rear tail section (yes mine is).
    Is the rear cowl included? Are the grab bars included?
    Check if the toolkit is under the seat, specifically the spanner for adjusting the chain.

Good luck and let us know when you buy a VFR.