Helmets........need your opinion

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by duccmann, Jul 23, 2014.

1. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    FJ.. It does suck seeing that my usual commute is 400 a week....weather is perfect. Miss my babe..the red one

Jim...your a saint...thats awesome....good carma is coming. ...:)

2. JimGregory

JimGregory New Member

I'm no saint thats for sure but I got one brother. Thanks for the sentiment thou guys.
    Hope you recover(ed?) quick Duc.

3. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Thank Brotha.....scared like a little girl....never had surgery before......guess it is what it is...PT should be a hoot

4. hightowermusic

hightowermusic New Member

5. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Skully helmet looks off the hook. Might be too high-tech for me though, I just got my latest greatest brain bucket though. Shoei X12, matt-black. I have had an Arai head in the past but am sick and tired of their antiquated shield system. Anyway, a K-Mart cheapee skid-lid will protect your melon if you hit the deck, the more you spend, the better ventilation, interior, etc. Cheers

6. tyarosevich

tyarosevich New Member

United States
    Map
    There are opinions, and then there is Arai.

Honestly, no one competes with Arai, in my experience. There are other helmets roughly as good, but I've never seen one with the construction quality of an Arai. If you buy one that is close to its manufacture date, it is very likely to actually last the 7 year window in which it should be used. Other helmets will start to fall apart in 2-5 years of daily use. The upshot of this is that in the long run, Arai's helmets are the cheapest of the top brand names.

Oh yeah and they're comfortable, light, well-designed, and have a great safety rep.

7. grabcon

grabcon New Member

United States
    Map
    I too have been looking for a new helmet over the last 3 months. I current have the Nolan N90. Nice when I bought it but most likely would not buy the N90 if it were available again. I have like others tried many helmets on and they all are different. Never buy without trying on.

I am only looking at modular helmets. I have an issue with full face although they may be better protection.

My requirements
    1. It must fit properly and be comfortable
    2. I must be able to get it on and off with my glasses on. (My glasses cost as much as a Schuberth and cannot afford to have them scratched or broken. On the face is the safest place.)
    3. Must be a modular
    4. Must be able to have a communication system that is not manufacture specific.
    5. Must have reasonable ventilation and be quiet
    6. Must be relatively light in weight.

With all that said I just bought a Nolan N104. Not the N104 evo. The N104 fits ME really well and meets my requirements. Also at this time they are being closed out as the replacement N104 Evo is coming in. The N104 most places is now about $160 off list. I paid $289 including shipping. I should get it tomorrow.

I have tried the Shoei

8. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Shoei has just as fine of fit and finish as Arri. I have had many of both.

9. cornerexit

cornerexit New Member

Same. I've had many Arai, Shoei, and AGV's. Shoei is every bit as good and I prefer their designs and head shape.

10. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Yeah me too, the Arri's seem to fit a rounder face a bit better. Forgot about AGV's had a few of theirs too. Another helmet I have tried lately is Nexx. Bought one for my girlfriend and have "borrowed" it a few times for track days. Very nice with great crash ratings (Europe and US) and the XR2 has the widest view I have found in a race helmet.
    When leaned over in corners I often have trouble bending my neck enough to look through the corner, the Nexx has great upper view too.

11. Crazy Commie

Crazy Commie New Member

Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in about the Shoei RF1200.

It's definitely quieter then my AGV K4 Evo helmet. So far it's definitely the higher quality helmet, although I haven't worn it as long as my AGV. Scratches fairly easy though, although mine is gloss white. Not too big a deal since I'm getting it painted later.

Fitment wise it's as tight as a virgin nun! Very snug even with some breaking in. The cheek pads are very tight and put a lot of pressure on my cheeks. While I'm used to it now and actually like it, that may not be for everyone. I do believe it helps keep it even more snug on your head and that is definitely needed for a great helmet that protects imo.

12. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
  13. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    manufacture date... Very good point there ... never thought of checking that. Thanks guys for all your advice...

14. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Grabcon....Decided on a Borealis Shoei Neo-Tech. Fit&Finish are perfect for my noodle .Should check one on--out before looking any further

15. grabcon

grabcon New Member

United States
    Map
    Duccmann

Glad you found something that will work. I tried the Shoei and the Schberth C3 and I could not get either one on without taking my glasses of and once on it was very hard for me to get the glasses on so they sat on my face right.

16. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    I also have glasses and they slid right in no problem. Tried the medium and it fit perfectly.
    Its goin to be awhile......maybe next year around March.....was just goin to pull the trigger....even gave Revzilla a chance to beat the price..but they said sorry, no can do.
    Lets hear what you decide on..
    maybe you have a different shape head...went to a shop where they had an entire wall full of all different makes...shit think I was there for almost an hour and a half tryin every helmet...good luck

17. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Just paid 511 dollars on an X-12 Shoei. In 07 I paid 600 dollars for a XR-7 Arai. New brain bucket does not accept my sun glasses the Arri did, I have some aviator style glasses with straight bayonet arms that work though. I may get a tinted shield that breaks my tradition of having one shield and keeping my life simple. When I had a race bike, I used a dark shield on my Arri,ar and never changed it, as changing shields on an Arai brain bucket kinda sucks.

Have aboot 5 high end Arai helmets and felt I needed a change. Fit is tighter around the cheek pads looks to be a good thang. I wear ear plugs regardless, Cheers :vtr2:

18. fatshoutybloke

fatshoutybloke New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Sorry, really can't agree with that. As others have said, there's no difference in quality between the 'top' brands - Arai, Schuberth, Shoei - and not much between those and the likes of Shark, Scorpion, etc. The most three important things are fit, fit and fit, in that order. :)

19. hightowermusic

hightowermusic New Member

I went with a HJC CL-Max 2 because I guess I have a huge freaking head. Bought it in white in a 4xl. Thinking maybe a 3xl would have been better because sometimes it slips done in front when I am riding. I tried on every helmet in 2xl and a few in 3xl. They didn't fit at all and I mean I couldn't even get most past my ears. So my choices are very limited. I really love the CL Max. It looks good and fits. I am considering getting the HJC IS-Max 2 when they become available for purchase in the 3xl or 4xl size. I actually got a Shoei RF1200 in 2xl on my head but it was way to tight. At least the Scorpion SGS gloves in 3xl fit nicely :)

20. TampaDave

TampaDave New Member

I'm wearing a Nolan Trilogy these days, a very innovative helmet. It is a true modular in that you can completely remove the chin bar, can even remove the face shield and roll with a sunvisor and shades CHIPS-style if you want, although the chin bar is so unobtrusive it's hardly worth the effort. The face shield is very large so you get great ventilation at a stop just by flipping it up. I kind of doubt you really get better visibility than with a traditional full face helmet, but it sure seems that way. The helmet is extremely light and well ventilated, which makes it a great summer touring helmet. Tends to fog up really easily in cool weather, but it comes with a pinlock system. It's on sale at Revzilla right now, $214.

I did notice "lift" when traveling at warp speed on my Ducati. No issues with my VFR/double bubble. I'm 5'8". If you're taller and have a stock windscreen, you might not like it. But. If you're thinking about a modular and don't want the weight, it's a consideration.

To be clear, I would wear a Shoei at the track. But I wouldn't wear a Shuberth at the track either.