Help!! Bad piston slap VF500F

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by tusong200, Nov 18, 2017.

1. tusong200

tusong200 New Member

United States
    Just found this site today.. hoping for help.

Just picked up 85 VF500F...pretty much a basket case but complete. Couldn't hear the engine run when I bought it. I'm generally not too concerned about potential problems since I've been riding and building since the mid 60's.

I owned the first 84 VF500F that came into Simi Valley Honda (California) and I put 90K miles on it in 2 years. I was really looking forward to getting this 85 running for next season.

Anyway, got it started and its blowing oil and has a bad piston slap. Once again I wasn't too concerned because I bought it as a winter project anyway....figured it would just be more work (and $$$) than I'd hoped.

That's when I realized I hadn't done my homework!! No parts available, meaning pistons and rings.

Am I out of luck?? Anybody here have any experience finding good used parts or sources for aftermarket parts??

Thanks!!

2. Mind_Surfer

Mind_Surfer New Member

United States
    eBay is about it around here. I read on here sometimes members mention David silver spares for NOS. Honda restoration has a few bits. Gasket sets are being produced can't remember the outfit.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

3. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Although fewer and farther between now, there are still some salvage yards that may be of use. There is one that is on eBay and is located in Anaheim that I bought from a few times, I’ll see if I can find the name of them in my eBay receipts. I have also seen a couple in Florida and Texas who sell on ebay.

4. Mind_Surfer

Mind_Surfer New Member

United States
    Richmond VA also has a good yard.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

5. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  6. slovcan

slovcan New Member

Canada
    Annapolis Valley, NS, Canada - IBA #63720
    Do yourself a favour and join up at the V4Hondabbs and V4Musclebike sites. There are guys there with shitloads of 1st gen bikes, knowledge and spares and are happy to help. You might be able to find a spare engine fairly easily. If you have trouble signing up with V4Hondabbs PM me.

I'm not suggesting you leave here, though! Great guys here, too, just the focus seems more 1st gen over at those other sites.

Cheers,
    Glenn