HELP- I need input on a new VFR 800 or ???

Discussion in '8th Generation 2014-Present' started by bravastar1, Mar 6, 2015.

1. RDMCD

RDMCD New Member

Canada
    Map
    Sell your bike to your buddy, take the 5500$ and find the nicest low mile 5th gen you can find. It probably will already have upgraded suspension, seat, bars... And you'll have enough money left for at least a yeas worth of insurance! :potstir:

2. bravastar1

bravastar1 New Member

United States
    Map
    I found out today the owner of the used 2014 is severely upside down in what the bike is worth and will not deal on the price much at all. The dealer did offer to get me a brand new one from Honda. It would be a 2014 VFR DLX in Red for $11,489 with only tax added. They could have it in two weeks. It would cost me $6,000 to upgrade 7 years. Not bad I think. I was able to ride a 2014 for about 10 miles. I did find the brakes on my 2007 are much better than on the new bike. I know some owners do not like the linked brakes but they sure stop great. I am really leaning towards going with the new bike. Thanks for all the comments and thoughts.

3. bravastar1

bravastar1 New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks for all the input and great conversation I had with DriverDave. I ordered my new 2014 VFR800 DLX this morning. It sounds like I may have gotten the last new one that Honda has in stock that was Pearl White. There are plenty of red ones available but it sounded like they are done with white. Thanks again!

4. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Well, if it were me, I'd keep your current bike.

It doesn't owe you anything at this point, and it looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor. Spend a few bux on comfort farkles and ride it like you stole it! If it works and it's still low mileage, I don't see a point in upgrading right now unless there's something very specific you want from the new version.

Of course, if you have the extra dough and you're simply jonesing for something new, then get the new bike.

jayzonk ... no offense my Canadian brother, but could you make a few more posts? 7 out of 23 (not including mine), and several of them immediately following one another .... LOL

:laugh:

5. bravastar1

bravastar1 New Member

United States
    Map
    Too late to think about keeping the old bike. A good friend of mine really wanted it so I sold it to him at a very fair price. I am 60 years old and have finally realized if I can afford something I want I should buy it. With 25 ish years left on the earth I can't take it with me.

6. DriverDave

DriverDave New Member

United States
    Map
    Congrats. I'm glad you're getting a white one. Looking forward to finally seeing one in person and going on a red & white VFR Deckers ride! So, how long did they say it would take to get here?

7. bravastar1

bravastar1 New Member

United States
    Map
    Dave, I was told 10 days or so. I am thinking I should have it two weeks from today. I am excited to say the least. This is my first new bike since a 1991 FZR1000 was in my garage. I took 17 years off for family. Now it is my turn.

I have seen only one white in person. Number two will be mine.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  8. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    You can pretend any bike has vtec. Get the revs up in the meat of the power band, then abrupty ring the throttle a bit. The reliability of gear driven cams and it's roots blower like whine coupled with that small block V8 exhaust note is Honda perfection.

9. 74ullc

74ullc New Member

How do you guys get dealers that sell for less than MSRP? My local Kaw and Honda dealer are MSRP and that's it...no dealing...even on 2013/14 stuff. My local Honda place has a 2014 White DLX sitting there for MSRP plus all the other tax and fees added on...I don't remember the exact price but it's over $15K, I remember that much.

Congrats on the new bike, let us know what you think and post some pics when she shows up!

10. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Congrats, you will love it!

11. marriedman

marriedman New Member

United States
    Map
    Emphasis mine - there is your problem. If you local dealer won't deal with you on your terms, go to another dealer. The Kawasaki dealer I went to wouldn't even let me test ride a bike. No way in hell would I ever buy a vehicle without a test ride! I ended up going to a dealer about 2.5 - 3 hours away for my VFR1200. I haggled the shit out of those guys. I told them I wouldn't pay more than $7000. They were flabbergasted to say the least! But you know what? A week later that bike was in my driveway. I ended up paying $7023.xx. The only reason I agreed to that was because it made the tax, title, registration come out to $7500.00 exactly. I like round numbers!

12. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    I'm the same way. Except only 45, and probably only have 25 years left!

13. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Makes sense then, right? :)

Similar reason I finally got another bike after being without one for a few years (young kids). :)

14. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Congrats, wait till ya see it in the sunlight, that white paint is amazing.
    Hope they gave ya a good deal

15. bravastar1

bravastar1 New Member

United States
    Map
    $11,027.50 OTD for the bike. I pay my own taxes. I think I got a nice deal.