Help, I'm new to VFR's, helibars or genmar risers?

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by AlphaWolff, May 6, 2008.

1. AlphaWolff

AlphaWolff New Member

United States
    Map
    I just recently picked up my 2004 VFR, and am planning to get handlebar risers. I have been reading a lot of threads about the Helibars vs. the Genmar risers. I want to reduce the weight on my hands, while changing the handling of the bike as little as possible, and I understand that may be asking a lot...

I'm sorry if this question has been answered, but in all my digging, I can't seem to find a good pic or diagram of the Genmar's being installed. I'm leaning toward Genmar, for a couple of reasons. They will be easier to install and remove if I decide I only want them for trips, and, correct me if I'm wrong, they don't change the handle bar position quite as much as helibars.

My concern is this: If I install the Genmar risers, does that reduce the grip the handlebars have on the top of the forks? Has anyone ever had one fail, or come off completely?

I've only had my VFR for a week or so, and its been in the shop getting the valves adjusted and a full service, so yes, I am brand new...Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. STEVE MANKIN

STEVE MANKIN New Member

Map
    just installed mine...grip seems to be fine ..goes on easy....quality product....trip comin up....will see how much weight they take off the wrists..

3. Rogue

Rogue New Member

United Kingdom
    Hi.

No1:
    If you're new to the bike why not take the time to allow yourself to "bed in" ..after all, Honda do kinda know what they are doing as regards riding position.
    No2:
    Yes the Genmars (or my alternatives) do reduce the grip on the top of the fork leg..however, unless you're really stupid and install them with a minimum of grip (less than 1/2 the clipon gripping) then it won't be a problem.
    I do NOT recommend using the Genmar top cap sleeve, since it may well be taking away available grip pressure from the fork leg by gripping on an unattached cosmetic geegaw..
    No3:
    Fortunately, the VFR's respond exceedingly well to adjusting the yoke down (raising the forks through the yoke) by 5-8mm, thus improving the amount for the clipon to grip on..see point 2 above...
    I'd recommend this mod even without the addition of risers (for ALL VFR's).

No4:
    Undoubtedly,Helibars / convertibars /Gilles Variobars are superb kit, but they also attract $$$$ . You may not require such a drastic change anyway, and my Risers or Genmars are better value for money, and will probably give just enough improvement (if you really need it..)

See my website in my signature for further details..

Note : Prices are somewhat out of date now, due to the feeble $:£ exchange rate.

Rod

4. AlphaWolff

AlphaWolff New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks Rogue. That's another reason I was leaning toward the Genmar's. So I could take them on and off easily and try the same sections of road with and without them.

I do plan on doing plenty of riding without them...I plan to do plenty of riding period...Summer's almost here! (we've only had a few good riding days so far this year in my corner of Idaho)

Question though, how does raising the fork tubes through the tree alter the handling? I understand that it will give a better grip for the handlebars when and if I install the risers, but again, my overall desire is to not alter the handling all that much. Does that actually help compensate for the lift in bar height while still lightening the load on my wrists?

Thanks again!

5. benjammer

benjammer New Member

Installed mine when I first got the bike and really helped me out. Took about 10 minutes.

6. Rogue

Rogue New Member

United Kingdom
    More info..

It IMPROVES the handling by a goodly amount (nimbler turn in).
    It doesn't compensate in any other way.

Rod