Help repairing pinhole leak in tubeless tire

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by savedrider, Aug 16, 2007.

1. savedrider

savedrider New Member

I pulled a super small staple/nail out of my rear tire today. It's really small about the size of a finishing nail or smaller. The leak is pinhole size and would probably take a few days to get low.

Anyhow, what are my options for repair? I don't necessarily want to plug it with a automotive style plug since I will be making a much larger hole and separating the belts in the process. How about Slime? I'm thinking of going this route since the hole is so small.

Thanks

2. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    Pull the tire off the rim and patch it from the inside and put some extra sealant around the patch/hole. Aside from buying a new tire, it is the best way to go.

I am doing the dangerous way. I used motorcycle/atv plug, and I have been riding for 1000 miles. Yes, it is dangerous, well, sorta of, I check it each day, and I think the possibilities of a blowout are low. Just the tire might get low is all.

3. eddievalleytrailer

eddievalleytrailer Member

United States
    Map
    The dealers will say to replace the tire. But, if it's a pretty new tire, a patch from the inside is the only way to go. Get a pro to do the job and you shouldn't have any problems.

4. savedrider

savedrider New Member

Well after reading the information on Slime's site this is the way I plan to go. My main reasons for choosing this is because of how minor a leak I have and because I'm lazy. :biggrin:

Seriously though, I should be good to go with no muss no fuss after using the Slime.

http://www.slimesealant.com/product.php?product=yellow

If the puncture were larger I would probably opt for a new tire or "inside out" type patch. Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2007
  5. derstuka

Map
    Becareful, sometimes that slime can wad up and throw your tire out of balance, just a warning.

6. savedrider

savedrider New Member

Yeah, I read that on their site. I guess mainly can occur with front tires. This is for a rear tire so I should be ok. I'm going to use just the minimum amount necessary. I ride the bike daily so it shouldn't really sit in one spot for long.

7. eddievalleytrailer

United States
    Map
    It's not hard to use an inside patch. Just remember, A flat tire on Sunday morning in the middle of nowhere SUCKS!!!! especially if that Slime gives up and starts leaking.

8. masonv45

masonv45 New Member

A "pro" won't repair a motorcycle tire. Too much liability.

9. eddievalleytrailer

United States
    Map
    A pro that owns a shop might not want to repair a M/C tire in his shop, however, the mechanic might fix it in a dark ally with no witnesses or cameras. I've repaired m/c tires with slight damage several times with no issues. I'd still prefer an inside patch over Slime anyday. A small TIRE shop could fix it insted of a M/C shop. I was refering to a TIRE shop when I said "PRO".
    I stated a M/C shop will want to replace the tire.

10. derstuka

Map
    You might find one that will do it, or at least just have them take the tire off, then put the patch on yourself, and have them remount it.

11. savedrider

savedrider New Member

The money charged to unmount, mount, patch, etc. I might as well buy a new tire.

I think a lot of you are missing the point that this is probably the smallest leak imaginable. It is so slow it could probably sit for a week before losing 10 lbs. of pressure.

I appreciate the discussion and concern though. I Slimed it with 8 oz. of their yellow tubeless formula. If it doesn't fix the isssue I WILL request a refund from Slime. They have a Satisfaction Guarantee.

12. eddievalleytrailer

United States
    Map
    Just don't want you to get stuck out in the middle of nowhere with a flat. I've seen tires get air between the plys and cause it to blow a big knot on the tire around the original pinhole. An inside patch will prevent that from happening. The Slime SHOULD also prevent a knot if it seals completely.
    Good luck, let us know if it holds up.:biggrin:

13. Rangerscott

Rangerscott New Member

Never use SLIME in a motorcycle/car tire. It'll throw off the balance the second you add it.

Its messy as hell and when you do need to take the tire off, it pisses the hell out of the mechanics and they'll charge you extra to clean it up.

If you decide to patch the tire after you a tire sealant, the patch will not stick.

Get it done right the first time. Plain and simple.

14. Rangerscott

Rangerscott New Member

If you're paying more than $40 for them to take the wheel off then its your fault for paying that much.

Its not hard taking off a tire in the first place.

Take the wheel off yourself and take the tire off the wheel (not hard) and take the two to the shop. They shouldn't charge you more than $10 since you did the work yourself.

15. savedrider

savedrider New Member

I can pull the wheel myself just fine. I just know how EVERY tire shop taxes around here for anything. I don't feel like doing the bloody knuckles thing trying to break the bead and pull the tire off the rim myself.

Do you have personal experience with Slime? I added it and notice no ill handling effects whatsoever. It's only 8 oz.

Careful with any assumptions about it being too hard for me. I know my way around a garage/shop. ;)

16. Rangerscott

Rangerscott New Member

Just rather see someone do it right the first time. ;-)

I have a nail in my tire right now. Will be at the shop first thing in the morning.

Just taking them the wheel, they shouldnt charge you too much. Hell, they're using machines to do the work.

17. savedrider

savedrider New Member

Well I wanted to report my follow up on this issue. The Slime did not work. After installing it the hole had the same super slow leak. I contacted Slime for some help. They advised me to ream the hole out with a nail so the Slime could flow through the hole and seal the leak. I did this and got the Slime to flow which stopped the now larger leak, but was still seeping slowly. I put up with this for several days trying different ways to get it to stop 100%.

In the end I kindly asked for a refund from Slime. To their credit instead of a refund they offered to send me one of these free of charge: http://www.slime.com/product.php?product=50001

I thought that was pretty cool since they are sell for much more than my small bottle of Slime cost plus it just might come in handy down the road.

I took the tire down today and got a vulcanized patch installed from the inside for $26 and some change.

I learned my lesson. Slime works, but in my experience only as a temporary fix. You guys had me on the right path from the beginning, but I had to learn for myself. Sometimes that's just the way it goes and now I know. Thanks to all for your help! :smile:

I will say this though; the original leak was so darn small I probably could have just rode it out until the tire was done only adding air about once a week or so.

18. eddievalleytrailer

United States
    Map
    Glad you got it all worked out. Thanks for posting the results.