Help, VTEC not working.

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Guest, Apr 1, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Does anyone no why my VTEC would suddenly and mysteriously stop working?

Scott :'(

2. 02VFR

02VFR New Member

The VTEC will not work if the engine temp is below a certain point (I think it is 150 degrees).

3. vfrscott

vfrscott New Member

I'm preety certain that it has been over that temp, when it is not working. Though I guess I'll find out soon enough since I dropped it off at the dealer.

Scott.

thanks for the info though

4. JERMS-VFR

JERMS-VFR Guest

that temp thing is interesting but couldn't be because i was out the other night and had rode over fiftey miles and stoped at a light went to take off and get into it a bit 7000 no v-tech. i will say that this has happened more than once but honda says it is impossible, that it should work all the time when you reach 7000! my service guy has said that i'm used to the bike and don't feel it sometimes, hell i most of the time i hear it before i feel it!!!

5. tbtapper

tbtapper New Member

I have an 03 and don't have many miles on it so I'm hardly an expert but I think the VTEC crossover is controlled by an electrical signal from the ECU.

The ECU tells a valve somewhere to close and the pins pop out and activate the second set of valves. No signal no VTEC.

Sure would be pretty hard to miss at least it is on my bike total change in sound and power. Better visit your dealer once again.

tbtapper

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Well, since I last wrote I have visited the dealer several times. Still nothing. I rode almost 600 miles through NM and no changeover, I couldn't even feel the slightest change. Today I rode and it was like normal again. I think it most be an ECU problem but it's still an unknown at this point.

Scott