Hi from a not so newbie

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Shaynus, Jul 18, 2015.

1. Shaynus

Shaynus New Member

Australia
    Hi Everyone
    As quite rightly pointed out to me by skimad4x4, it was a bit rude of me to post in another thread without introducing myself 1st. (have been lurking in the background for a little while)
    I'm an owner of a (faded) red 5th gen VFR800, located a bit south of Perth in Western Australia.
    I've owned it for a couple or so years now. This is my 2nd turn at owning a VFR, having previously owned a 1994 VFR750 streetfighter a few years ago (Yamaha TRX850 in between ).
    Nothing too much of note with the bike: Arrow muffler, PC3, and a freshly installed Wilbers rear shock. So newly installed I haven't even ridden it yet!
    I'm not much of a poster as I don't really have anything new to add to anything. I am trying gather info on some potential upgrades. What to do in regards to upgrading the front end (bang for buck) and brakes ( de-link or not to de-link?) Are the main areas of interest for me at the moment.

Cheers,
    Shaynus

2. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    [aaE=Shaynus;485220]I am trying gather info on some potential upgrades. What to do in regards to upgrading the front end (bang for buck) and brakes ( de-link or not to de-link?) Are the main areas of interest for me at the moment.

Cheers,
    Shaynus[/QUOTE]

As you live in Australia, can't offer best for there, but springs and valves are the bare bones minimum for the front end. Now if you want to delink, click on the link below. For me it was worth it.

3. Shaynus

Shaynus New Member

Australia
    Cheers Mello.
    My problem (well one of them anyway!) is deciding whether or to just upgrade the forks or to replace them. If I just upgrade them I'll get braided lines for the front calipers, But I don't want to do that if I end up replacing the forks.
    If I do replace the forks then I need to decide if I go USD or not. If I go USD it will probably be using early R1 forks (00-01 model with CBR 929/945 triples) as I have Yamaha blue spot calipers left over from other projects.
    I did buy this bike with the intention of keeping it stock, but you know how it is ;-)
    Probably a question for a different thread, but if I use R1 forks do they need much work (new valves / springs) to suit the 5th gen?