Homemade GPS/Phone Mounts for VFR

Discussion in '8th Generation 2014-Present' started by jandd.calder@bigpond.com, Jan 11, 2018.

Tags:
  1. jandd.calder@bigpond.com

jandd.calder@bigpond.com New Member

Australia
    Map
    DSC_0001.JPG DSC_0002.JPG I have a 2016 VFR and I look everywhere for a suitable mount for my GPS. I didn't like the oil resivoir mount or the stem mount as it placed the GPS in fron of the instrumentation panel and could find no other suitable mount so I made one to fit onto the 2 bolts that hold down the front of the petrol tank. This may be an option for others that found the same when looking for suitable mounts.

I used a small offcut of 4mm stainless plate and drilled 3 X 6mm holes in it. The two outside 6mm holes are 40mm apart to match the ones that hold down the front of the tank. The third 6mm hole is in the centre.

I then tig welded a 6mm X 50mm ss round head bolt into the middle 6mm hole. I slid on a 32mm X 9mm ss tube over the bolt (6mm bore). Then I placed a ss spring washer on top of the tube and screwed on a 6mm ram mount.

See pics.

I am not a toll maker so it is not perfect but I am sure someone may find a use for this option.

John

2. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Nice little write up there. There are indeed mounts available that attach to the front tank mounts. They are the ram handle bar mounts with the U bolt. Just need to check the width.

Attached Files:

3. RllwJoe

RllwJoe Insider

United States
    Map
    Good job! Thanks for shairing your DIY project.

Welcome to VFRW! Your next post should be in the Introductons forum.
    Tell us about your relationship to your bike (how you two got to know one another) and be sure to post at least one photo of your ride.

4. jandd.calder@bigpond.com

jandd.calder@bigpond.com New Member

Australia
    Map
    Thanks for that info on the ram handle bar mounts Fink. Unfortunately I couldn't get one with a plate that had mounting holes 40mm apart. If you ever come across one I would appreciate having the link posted. The VFR is a great bike but for a sports tourer I am surprised that there are not more options for touring accessories. In the meantime I will just enjoy the ride.