Homemade Rear Lift

Discussion in '7th Generation 2010-Present' started by Forester, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Bryan88

Bryan88 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

South Africa
    Map
    Nice work Forester, I'm assuming the bike doesn't come standard with a centerstand?

2. Forester

Forester New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks, and no it doesn't. I was sure that I would add one when I first bought the bike, but now I really don't want it. No chain to worry with, so there is no real need for it for me.

3. Bryan88

Bryan88 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

South Africa
    Map
    Good point, hadn't thought about the no chain angle.

4. VinnyRed

VinnyRed New Member

Canada
    Map
    I know this is an old thread... Can you tell me how much you had to "turn" down the 3/4 inch rod to fit into the holes of the bike? Also, what was the ID and OD of the pipe you used?
    Thank you so much!

5. ozzybob

ozzybob New Member

Australia
    I'm going to make one of these as well, I would buy a pitbull one but there is no Australian distributor and freight on one of them wouldn't be worth it.

6. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Nice work. I was also wondering about the handle. Of course, this is arm chair quarterbacking but I thought that the handle would be in the way a lot and possibly a trip hazard. If building again, would you make a removable handle? I would think that a bar at the pivot point of about5 or 6 inches long and a removable handle of the proper sized pipe would be strong enough to lever that bike up.

Now I won't sleep for weeks!

7. ozzybob

ozzybob New Member

Australia
    I finished my rear stand yesterday.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    A 19mm tractor linkage pin fits perfectly and I have a total of [​IMG]this much lift and a total of this much pin protruding through the RHS [​IMG]and I can use the locking pin to secure it.
    I used a 19mm hole saw to run the pin through the RHS [​IMG]its got a bit of movement on the stand but is definitely up to the job.
    Anyway I hope this helps and thanks for the inspiration.

8. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    Can someone explain to my why there is a need for a rear wheel lift? From the photos I see here, these lifts just lift the rear wheel inches at the most off the floor. My bike, on its centre stand, rests on the front wheel so the rear wheel is already off the ground. What am I not seeing or understanding here?

9. mykarz

mykarz New Member

Map
    It's because these bikes don't have a center stand, so in order to change tires or do anything that requires rear wheel free movement, they need a separate stand

10. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    there y a go. Didn't know that.

11. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Centerstands on many Honda models were aftermarket items. One of the many benefits of having same is being able to get the back wheel off the ground at one of the dealers who charge an arm and a leg for removing the wheels on one of their lifts. Replace the newly shod wheel shove a block under the frame, remove the front wheel and have the outfit change that tire. Not always possible of course since some dealers are assholes or the dealership is on the third floor someplace.

The stands shown are great for hard floors but would not work well on dirt. Steel plumbing pipe is not a pretty as tube or square stock but lifts made from pipe have been in use for years. Painting or powdercoating may look nice for awhile but after aboot 3-4 uses may come off.

12. ozzybob

ozzybob New Member

Australia
    Dealers here charge around $50 to remove and refit a wheel.
    If you take your wheel to the shop they fit the tyre for "free"
    I'd be happy to use this stand in my yard to wash the bike, it's an easier job when the bike is upright.
    The stand I made cost me $15 for the pin, everything else I had including the paint.
    It's white because that's what I had on the shelf and if you follow the instructions regarding prep (yeah, I know, a revolutionary idea) the paint won't flake off.
    It will wear off though.

13. Badbilly

United States
    Thank-you for another enlightening bit of information that has been covered and uncovered numerous times. What you are missing is that in many instances what you think to be fact is in fact anecdotal and as well information that is perhaps only fact in one place at one time.

You've not really added much but that you lack in language skills, are devoid of any sense of humor and IMO are not all that smart.

Flaking and wearing off are two different issues as are your posts wearing thin and being generally flakey.

My question since nothing you have posted is vaguely interesting is, is this you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6H_tEz4wRrw Yikes!!

14. ozzybob

ozzybob New Member

Australia
    sorry billy boy but I actually read this thread and nowhere did anyone provide dimensions of any kind to build a home made pit stand (read the tread title, maybe google the words) some photos yes but no dimensions.
    I also deliberately used a metric/imperial tape measure so that Americans can understand what I have done.
    I understand that keyboard warriors like you fill your days in dribbling shit where your opinion in neither valid or appreciated.
    Go and annoy someone else you serial pest and leave the adults alone.

15. ozzybob

ozzybob New Member

Australia
    I found you billy boy. [​IMG]

16. Badbilly

United States
    Bob dearie your clichés are sleep inducing. I do like your choice of tape measures. Made in China perhaps? Those measurements may not be as accurate as you may think.

With just a cursory search it will be found that units of measure are not standardized especially in the US and UK. Using your pic a reference, How tall or short are you in feet and inches so that we all understand where you are coming from.

The Brit dudes here and even some of your own countrymen may never forgive you for leaving out Whitworth. Dealing with that is on you.

Our cousins in the great frozen North are mostly metric. Gotta love them for retaining the imperial measurement for liquids. Those imperial gallons are a hell of a good buy and aboot a quart larger than the US Gallon.

Have you made peace with those neighbors yet? In some of the more backward places like Texas, it would be a good idea rather than not.

17. Badbilly

United States
    Bob sweetie, that is flat oot insulting. I got rid of that old 486 a long time ago.

18. ozzybob

ozzybob New Member

Australia
    Billy, I said be quiet.

The adults are talking.

You insult my wife and I called you out on it, obviously you aren't man enough to apologise. Now you persist in annoying not only me but everyone following this thread.
    You dribble on forever when a few words would suffice.
    If you don't like my posts, don't read them.
    I'm sure everyone here would appreciate it.

19. Badbilly

United States
    Bob honey, I love your posts. They are just like the thousands of posts on a Harley forum. All that is missing is some stills or a vid of you holding your breath and laying on the floor kicking and screaming because your mum won't let you have that candy bar.

A real man would also post a pic of his wife unless his wife was "one of those."

Please include a pic of that stand that was rattlecanned after a few wash jobs to indicate how well your paint is holding up. TIA.

One more small request please. Have you looked at the Ventura rack that has a grab rail yet? I think that would satisfy any concerns you have about losing a bag off your bike.

20. Badbilly

United States