Honda Nighthawk

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by Y2Kviffer, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Y2Kviffer

Y2Kviffer Insider

United States
    Map
    Not a VFR story but hey it's a Honda. It's just a regular, plain jane ride, but it's special to me. So 25 years ago this May I bought my first new bike, a '91 Honda Nighthawk CB750. I had an '85 Honda Nighthawk CB700S and a '75 Yamaha RD350 prior. It was one of very few standard bikes available at the time and I liked the look back then over the CBR's and GSXR's. I happily rode her till 2000 when ole yellow caught my eye sitting all shiny and pretty on that showroom floor. Home she came and the Nighthawk went to my younger brother. He rode a lot that first year but then she just sat. After several years she moved on to our next younger brother. He road it a couple years and dolled her back up some. A new Harley V-Rod followed him home in 2013 and the old Honda sat waiting for love yet again. On she moved again to our sister. She rode a little bit in '13 and '14 but come the '15 season the front brake caliper seized on the first ride and she has sat yet again. I'm getting old and sentimental so today the old Honda just came back home with me after going thru four family members including myself. Yesterday I made sure the oil was full and no mice had taken up residence in the air cleaner, etc. I drained the old gas, added fresh gas and seafoam. The old battery tried but she just wouldn't spin fast enough to fire. Off to the store for a new battery. A bout two full turns and she came to life. I kept working the choke back over awhile till it was running, but just barely idling. Cut her off and changed the oil and filter. Fired her back up and let her run. Idle was barely readable but I left her running and started making a parts list to fix her up. I would try to rev her from time to time but she was reluctant to take the throttle. The longer she ran the more the idle came up and the smoother she got. Probably 3 or 4 hours of steady idling, revving, and a few quick blasts up the road (less than 1/4 mile and back), she now fires instantly, idles smooth and will rev with a little initial hesitation, but very livable. Hopefully the more I ride the better it will get. Next up... fork seals, caliper rebuild, and a list of other items. Then stripped for fresh paint, no idea on the color yet. I attached a picture of what she looked like new, and a pic with windshield and back rest that I'm heading towards. Color to be sugesstions will be appreciated.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
  2. Knight

Knight New Member

United States
    Map
    Nighthawk Bobber.jpg

Black & White!

3. zoom-zoom

zoom-zoom Member

Canada
    Map
    Very cool story there Y2K. Having started my biking adventures in life on a 1984 CB450 Nighthawk, I too have a soft spot in my heart for the CB's. My wife and I picked up a 1981 CB400T for her a couple years ago now and we have been working on the mechanicals. The little ole CB now runs and stops great but needs a bit more attention. Bike started out silver with blue decals but the wife's favorite color is blue.

Since my wife had hinted numerous times that it would look better in another color ("Blue perhaps", she said) I knew a change would be in order. When she and the kids went to her parents place last summer for a couple weeks for a visit I stripped the bike down and it resprayed in Corvette Monaco blue.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

4. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    We never had that particular model available new locally, but we did get the CBX750F with similar chassis and engine, and I bought one new back in 1985 I think. Honda is said to have introduced that model as a stop-gap between the VF750F which was getting less than stellar reviews for cam issues (owned one, can vouch for the cam tensioner problems!) and the yet to be released VFR750F. My recollections of the CBX were that it was a bit gravelly at low revs and then came into a great smooth rush of mid range, and had a great exhaust note at high revs; a bit like a big two stroke in that regard. The CBX may be the only sporting Honda that had self adjusting valve clearance, using a hydraulic adjuster on the rocker arm fulcrum. They're also unusual for running oil through part of the frame, presumably to minimise external oil lines.

Look after it Y2K, and thanks for the story.

Here I am, back in the day:

[​IMG]

And what do you know, I also had a CB400N like Mrs Zoom-zoom!

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

5. redwing750

redwing750 New Member

Nice to keep it in the family! And yes, roots!

Here's my '79, acquired in March 1995. Was in seriously bad shape, but I
    saw a diamond in the rough. Bike went through no less than six versions and
    colors. The most recent revamp was in 2013 and I went all out. It was my one
    bike for 2 decades until I got the Viff in June 2015. The bike has received
    countless mods, mod in this case meaning modernized as much as modified.
    It is a perpetual work in progress.

Color is Orangelo, a pearl color from TheCoatingStore.

CB750F 1995.jpg CB750F 8-3-13 (51).jpg CB750F 8-3-13 (63).jpg CB750F 8-3-13 (35).jpg

6. Y2Kviffer

Y2Kviffer Insider

United States
    Map

Liking the blue! Maybe I'll do it the old Chevy I-Roc Z blue.... hmmmmmmmm

7. zoom-zoom

zoom-zoom Member

Canada
    Map
    Quick correction there Y2K, the color used was actually LeMans Blue. I was checking paint code this morning and noticed we had narrowed down a few Colors that the wife had liked and I thought it was the Monaco blues had chosen. My wife dutifully corrected it. Paint code for Azko Nobel was GMA04:19

8. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    I loved my 1993 cb750 nighthawk. Great all around bike.

<----- You can see it in my avatar...

9. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States

God wiil get you for not leaving your Nighthawk stock. ;)

10. redwing750

redwing750 New Member

It's a Super Sport so I'm in the clear.

It is the predecessor to the Nighty, so maybe we can go with LateAfternoonHawk.

11. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    But, redwing, Jeff, those r Harley colors. :numbness:

12. John O

John O New Member

United States
    Map
    I thought my 1993(?) Nighthawk 750 was pretty in blue. Sorry for the personal picture, but that's us leaving Albuquerque for a ride up to Seattle. It was a good bike, but finally I decided that I wanted to get a water-cooled engine after a scary-hot trip through Nevada.

John O
    Nitehawk web.jpg

13. redwing750

redwing750 New Member

Bite your lip!

More like a McLaren color :witless:

2012-McLaren-MP4-12C-001.jpg

14. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    This is one of my Wife's bikes...
    [​IMG]

1985 CB400N Super Hawk III - Japanese Domestic Market model. Triple discs and clip-ons instead of a tubular bar.

15. zoom-zoom

zoom-zoom Member

Canada
    Map
    VERY NICE. My wife and I both like the look of the black engine case versus the silver, and the added braking power from the rear disc and extra front disc would be nice. Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (as my wife has lovingly named her CB) is not going to be doing any track days in the near future or anything, just commuting. LOL. Thanks for sharing.

16. Y2Kviffer

Y2Kviffer Insider

United States
    Map
    I have the new master cylinder and a free saturday. Wish me luck in getting this front brake back working.

17. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Orange and black paintjobs can be great fun. As we know, Harleydoods are generally not observant of other bikes except other Harleys. An approaching harleydood on a Harley will mistake the color on an orange and black bike for another Harley. They will wave, gesticulate or signal in one or more of their language elements from the Great Book of Harley. ($49.99 )

Many times when parked an orange and black motorcycle will be taken for a Harley by harleydoods. It is best in this scenario to tell the dood that what is being seen is the new Harley "Skinnyboy" .

18. Y2Kviffer

Y2Kviffer Insider

United States
    Map
    :cheersaf: :lol: :pound:

19. Y2Kviffer

Y2Kviffer Insider

United States
    Map
    WE HAVE BRAKES!!!

Internet shopping to continue the project........................

20. Deckrat

Deckrat New Member

United States
    Map
    I bought my 91 NightHawk in 2005 with 13,000 miles on her. I rode her in nearly any kind of weather conditions known to man owing to the fact that in 2007 the engine in my Pontiac Firebird was on it's last legs, and I didn't have the money to get it fixed. She always ran like a champ, even on those very cold mornings when I had no choice but to ride her into work. Never had a single problem from the engine. In 2013, I taught my son to ride in an empty parking lot over several sessions, and then gave the bike to him for his 18th birthday. He rode the bike for about 9 months and then sold it to our next door neighbor to get down payment money for his first car. As of last week, she is sitting unused in the neighbor's garage with the seat off of it and a bunch of crap piled on top of it. Sad to see. From my limited experience, I would go so far as to say that this is probably one of the best all-around motorcycles anyone could hope to own. The pictures here are of my daughter geared up for a ride to a local restaurant, and my son taking off for a ride around the neighborhood when he had gained enough confidence to ride on the street. (We went and got him his own jacket and gloves that day, as mine was way too big for him.)
    As much as I like my new RWB Interceptor, I still miss riding my trusty old NightHawk.

NightHannah.jpg 003.jpg 004.jpg