Honda Releases Details on VFR1200 Dual-Clutch Transmission

Discussion in '7th Generation 2010-Present' started by R.W., Sep 11, 2009.

1. R.W.

R.W. New Member

United States
    Map
    VFR1200 Dual-Clutch Transmission

Tired of shifting? Many motorcyclists, especially those of us with pain in our hands and wrists from many years on the road, secretly long for an effective automatic transmission. One that won't take away from the excitement and response of riding a sportbike. So when rumors were heard about the new Honda VFR1200 being equipped with an automatic, excitement mounted.

Now it's official. Honda released details about the new "dual clutch" transmission in the upcoming VFR model. The fully-automatic design uses a six-speed gearbox connected to twin computer-controlled clutches. One clutch works the odd-numbered gears, the other the even-numbered ones. The hydraulically-actuated clutches work in tandem, smoothing out transitions between the gears. The lack of a CVT mechanism or hydraulic pumps like those found in the DN-01's Foreman ATV-derived transmission means a lightweight, relatively simple design that functions much like a manual transmission. In fact, Honda promises "fuel economy equal to or better than that of a fully manual transmission."

[​IMG]

There are three different shift modes, selected with a button on the right hand grip. There's a regular Drive mode for economical operation, a Sport mode for faster acceleration, and a six-speed manual mode. The manual mode utilizes paddle-style shifters on the left grip, familiar to anybody who's ridden a Yamaha FJR13000AE or Aprilia Mana.

[​IMG]

I don't really understand all that engineering mumbo-jumbo, and Honda's Tokyo subway map-like diagrams don't help much either. But a video demonstration -- showing a silhouetted VFR1200 on a dynamometer as a rider demonstrates the function of the new transmission-cleared things up for me, as well as showing how smooth shifting can be with the new system. Imagine how much easier completing that perfect lap or perfect corner could be with an electronic assistant doing the shifting for you, with the chassis steady and the balls of your feet up on the pegs. It could possibly give a racer a second or two a lap. Or it could just let a sportbike rider enjoy the ride more, helping him be smoother and safer.

I've ridden other automatic motorcycles and found they were good, but still not as satisfying to ride as a light, powerful, simple sportbike with a traditional gearbox. If this system, which has over 100 patents, is as smooth, flawless and easy-to-maintain (and by inference, inexpensive) as Honda claims, it could revolutionize motorcycling, benefitting racers, tourers, sportbikers and cruiser riders alike.

Linky

Honda Releases Details on VFR1200 Dual-Clutch Transmission

2. speedpoker

speedpoker New Member

Hmm. I don't know. I embraced anti-lock brakes but this may be harder to swallow. I hope they have a standard version also.

3. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

I'm sure it will be very attractive to a select group of people, the lazy and the physically challenged....sorta like the whole concept in general. Every time they release more info about the new machine, I'm more and more happy with the bike I have. I'm sure it will be a very nice machine for it's intended market group, it's just not for me. I'm almost convinced that I've already bought my last Honda.

4. warprints

warprints New Member

United States
    Map
    Not impressed

I don't care for technology just for the show-off effect. If it's a better transmission, with faster shifts, better fuel economy (less drivetrain loss), BUT is still a manual, I may adapt to it. But with Honda, expect to pay an extra $1500 or so for the transmission.

5. Seattle

Seattle New Member

Too fat, lazy and out of shape to ride a sport bike? Well Honda has just the bike for you. For cryin out loud, what's next, a fully enclosed sunbrella soft top to keep the wind off of ya?

6. jasonsmith

jasonsmith Member

Canada
    Map
    couldn't agree more...

7. cheyanne9

cheyanne9 New Member

All manufactures need to appeal to as many people as they can. It makes the share holders happy.

Now, with the duel clutch and auto shifting; we will see a blistering ad campaign to attract the milk toast waifs who are on the fence about having both hands and both feet possibility doing something all at once. OH Teh HORROR…..

Hmmmm, what else will happen…

The accident rates will rise shortly thereafter, Senator Mepuke will declare new safety standards will be enacted. "I declare mandatory safety beacons on all helmets, air bag gloves and NFL shoulder pads along with gel mouth guards built-into all helmets". Renew your hi-hazard special method of transportation registration (motorcycle) and you’ll receive a Government issued micro chip ignition key. Covertly recording all activity during your hi-hazard rides. Over the speed limit, you now receive the ticket by e-mail.

Bikers will be surreptitiously hunted down by the government until we’re all riding automatic 3 wheelers with old Hershey Park roller coaster restraints retrofitted from the outlawed Super Duper Looper.

I’ll be back my tin foil hat just blew off….. I can’t type without my hat.

It’s raining tonight and I got carried away

8. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Crazy, well, now we know what the dash looks like. What ever happen to keep it simple and then the $$$$$$ :eek:

9. Mainjet

Mainjet New Member

United States
    Map
    I hope Honda will build a basic raw edge sport 1000 version for the motorcycle enthusiasts.

10. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

About 30 years.... people now have a higher level of education and a better basic understanding of technology than they did back then. If you don't understand basic technology you are pretty much a dinosaur, destined to be rendered extinct. The good old days weren't all that good.

11. jasonsmith

jasonsmith Member

Canada
    Map
    True... I like the dash although it's just a slightly different shape than the 6th gen. I like the cool but not needed gear indicator too.

12. vfrcapn

vfrcapn Member

United States
    Map
    I was hoping for more simple too; air cooled, carbed, steel framed, rear drum brake, wire wheels, bias ply tires, clutch cables and for goodness sake Honda, bring back points and condensers! :ninja:

You can move with the technology or you can stand still and let it run you over. :ninja:

13. R.W.

R.W. New Member

United States
    Map
  14. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

15. Richard Thompson

Richard Thompson New Member

Map
    OK, watched the video...you know.....it sounds....just like the ST1300
    i had...hmmm :rolleyes:

shaft drive....1300cc....V4....yep....very similar...and the're definately trying to 'out-tech' the BMW-ites!

that whole 2 buttons for up/down shifts in manual mode reminds me of the BMW '3 button turn signal' bollocks...:eek:

do like the dash board tho...

happy to keep 6th gen :thumbsup:

16. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
  17. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    I beg to differ here, I can agree that technology can be a good thing but when it gets carried away just because they can, then well Pfff . I'll take my 70 Hemi challenger over the new one anyday. there's also a sense of loss with the new fly by wire computer systems in helicopters as well, yea they are great in their own way but the $$$$$$ come on now. That said, there is something very intriguing here with the new bike. If it comes in at around 500lbs and less than $14-15K they might have something.

18. R.W.

R.W. New Member

United States
    Map
    Damn!!! Got busted with the repost :rant:

19. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Of course you do. You don't care for technology for reasons that I have already ascertained, please see the informational graphic below.

[​IMG]

20. vfrcapn

vfrcapn Member

United States
    Map
    I don't get it? :confused:

You said above; "I'm sure it will be very attractive to a select group of people, the lazy and the physically challenged....sorta like the whole concept in general. Every time they release more info about the new machine, I'm more and more happy with the bike I have. I'm sure it will be a very nice machine for it's intended market group, it's just not for me. I'm almost convinced that I've already bought my last Honda."

So you think it's a good move by Honda or not?? I'm confused?