Honda Releases Details on VFR1200 Dual-Clutch Transmission

Discussion in '7th Generation 2010-Present' started by R.W., Sep 11, 2009.

1. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    hahaha...just giving ya a hard time. Kinda looks like it is gonna be a sportier DN-01....a grown-up's scooter I guess one could say. We should all find out in a month or two what the dealio is. I'm still waiting for the cupholder and toaster oven option. Dammit Honda! :lol:

2. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Unrelated discussion.

3. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    That's a crock right there. Most if not all backyard mechanics will never be able to troubleshoot or fix stuff like this. They don't have the training or knowledge to understand the electronics let alone the mechanical/hydraulic end. Even half of those who do go to training on advanced technology of this type will not understand the over all picture enough to work on it properly. A meter won't do when you need an oscilloscope to trace signals or to find wave forms. Trying to figure out why the clutch, throttle or whatever isn't working because a hydraulic pressure senor is only putting out -4.5v instead of a full -5v. Or low battery voltage sends sensors in to a tizzy and give false readings showing they are bad. When the real problem is else where.

Technology is great at times. But when you get rid of a $10 throttle cable for a $500+ fly by wire setup is ridiculous. Not to mention the $700 cost of inspection/adjustment like the Vtec valves. What did they accomplish with that? Save maybe 2 mpg to the gallon on a motorcycle that gets 40+mpg. Wait til oxidation starts on some of the electrical contacts and you start having intermittent problems like electronic components often have.

I've dealt with enough "experts" to find out that there are good ones out there , but they are rare to find. Mean while the customer pays $$$$$ for part swappers to find out what's wrong.

I love technology. But there's a point where it's not needed to do the job that something simple will do and be more reliable. Or to put high tech systems from aircraft/formula one venues on everyday street vehicles just for the sake of having technology and or bragging rights. Sorry I don't buy it.

For all the new people that will buy it because it's an automatic, I wonder how many won't buy it for the same reason and the complexity? That's not even mentioning the extra cost involved.