HONDA VFR 1200 FD ENGINE FAILURE

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by Mark Rex, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Mark Rex

Mark Rex New Member

South Africa
    Hi guys! I'm in the shit! Have blown my engine - ran a bearing on no. 4 cylinder.
    Based in South Africa - as you are aware, this is 10th world country so I'm really battling to get some assistance and a way forward.
    I have approached Honda SA and have received ZERO assistance in any way. Honda SA have no interest in assisting - I see from previous posts that a South African member had a similar problem and after a few months, I do believe his engine was replaced - I would really like to be in contact with this person and if not possible do any member have any suggestions for me in taking this query internationally.
    I appeal for any assistance offered as my resources in SA are limited and I have tried all avenues - quick to take my money when I paid cash for the bike but now that there is a problem - no help, service, advice - NOTHING!
    Only response was that it would cost me big money to repair the motor and that there is no warranty.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Ridem32 likes this.
  2. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Aggh! That is one very sorry initial post!

Anyway Mark - welcome to the MadHouse!

To avoid raising false hopes the very first question to ask is please tell us what model year was your 1200 made?

Whilst I understand your train of thought, things have obviously moved on significantly and in 2017 I fear that it is extremely unlikely that the special assistance provided by Honda in the past will be available to you.

IIRC the assistance provided to another forum member was primarily due to three critical points - (1) It was originally purchased brand new in Europe - so had a transferrable warranty (2) Soon afterwards it was shipped to South Africa by the original purchaser where it failed whilst still within the original warranty period (note Honda honoured the warranty even though they could have declined any support simply because it had been taken outside the EU warranty cover area), and (3) the motorbike was definitely among the VERY early 2010 production batch of 1200 VFR's delivered into Europe and it was affected by a formal Honda recall where European dealers were instructed to inspect and as appropriate replace engines FOC if production swarf was found to have been left inside the engine.

Even if your 1200 was also from the 2010 production batch I would be misleading you to suggest you are likely to get any help 7 years later.

However in your shoes it is always worth sending a written request for help direct to Honda Japan (NB if you really want a better chance of success it is important you send a real letter - not an email!). I am guessing that even if you did not buy it direct from Honda - that your bike is now well beyond the standard Honda warranty period from first registration. In which case you are not likely to get any assistance anywhere unless the motorbike has a full Honda dealer service record - in which case Honda just might consider making a % contribution to the cost of replacement parts.

I rather suspect your only way forward is to find a serviceable used engine which in South Africa is not going to be easy. But wherever you find a replacement please make sure that any replacement engine is not among that first production year batch - as you obviously do not want to buy another suspect engine.

SkiMad

Ridem32 likes this.
  3. VFR4Lee

VFR4Lee Member

United States
    Map
    That is the shits. I guess you have torn it down to find this. Do you have the ability to rebuild it? I sure don't.
    Otherwise replacing the engine or the whole bike seems like your only options.
    Or, part it out and move on. Good luck with it.

Ridem32 likes this.
  4. Mark Rex

Mark Rex New Member

South Africa
    Hi guys. I do have ability to rebuild the motor but the parts costs are ridiculous plus engineering. I have got some score marks on the sleeves and would have to re bore and go up 1 size. Can anybody give advice as to who to make contact with at Honda Japan HO, or what division to forward this quary