^#@$# hot asphalt!

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by PUSkunk, Jun 10, 2008.

1. PUSkunk

PUSkunk New Member

I went to my monthly photography group meeting on the VFR today, I usually ride my FZ6 around town, but I wanted to hear that v four sound. After ordering, a friend came in late and told me my bike had fallen over in the parking lot. I had parked on a slight incline, and since it was downhill to the right, I put it on the centerstand thinking if it was going to sink in, it would do it equally. Not so much.

It fell over on the right side, launching my helmet into traffic. It broke my right mirror, my front brake lever and broke the right side engine cover ($$). Light scratches on the fairing. I'm a photographer, as was everyone else there, and no one took pictures. I was sick to my stomach when I came out. Money is so tight right now, and I can't even afford to replace the helmet so I can ride the other bike.

So new levers, new mirror, new engine cover, and buff out the fairing. I need new wheels too, but it's not as big a priority, I bought the bike with some cosmetic damage to both wheels.:hangme:

2. SLOVFR

SLOVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Man that sucks, reminds me of the Gremlins! As long as the helmet didnt get hit by a car it should be ok. Sounds like someone ran over it rather than it falling. Cant believe the case got broken too.

3. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

That sucks dude. I know what you mean about hot asphault. Today, a hot tar snake almost did me in. Feeling the front slide 2 feet sideways is not a comfortable feeling.

KC-10 FE out...
    :plane: :usa2:

4. PUSkunk

PUSkunk New Member

Yeah, the helmet did get hit by a car. It was found 200ft down the road. No visor attachment hardware left on it, I wore it home, but it's ugly. Scratches galore.

5. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Oh Shiet! man I feel for you.

6. drewl

drewl Insider

United States
    Map
    sorry to hear that bro. our worst nightmare.

7. jasonsmith

jasonsmith Member

Canada
    Map
    ahhh jeeze... I'm sorry man :frown:

8. Lgn001

Lgn001 Member

United States
    Map
    Ouch! Gave my stomach that sinking feeling just reading it...

9. VFR-Guy2000

VFR-Guy2000 New Member

Map
    Man I totaly feel for you. That truly is one thing that I think I could safely say ALL OF US hope that very thing will never happen. Its so hard to know when your going to find a soft patch of asphalt that can send your bike on an unwanted trip to the ground. I've been lucky enough to not have it happen to my VFR. It almost happened to my old CBR, but I came out right before it went down and caught it:eek:. I learned that day to take something with me to put under the sidestand just for that reason. I hope you can find a way to replace all the things needed. Sorry again dude:sorry:.

10. WhiteKnight

WhiteKnight Well-Known Member

United States
    Map
    That truly bites man :bs: . I would have thought the same as you, put it on the center stand. Hope you are able to get it fixed soon.

11. NeverlosT

NeverlosT New Member

wow. fallen from the centerstand no less. That is tragic. You know something bad has gone down when everyone is a photographer and no one takes pictures. I am always nervous of someone touching my bike when im elsewhere, or of it falling over. I never thought it could crack the engine case though. Man.
    Well, poke around the house and find something you can part with, sell it on ebay, and get a new helmet. Because having to drive the cage around certainly wont help the $$ situation with these gas prices!

Good luck man, sorry.

12. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    Wow, sorry to hear about that bud. No question we can all feel your pain.

I do what VFR-Guy does: I take something with me to place under the side stand - usually a little piece of wood about 3 inches by 3 inches. Easy enough to fit in a back pocket in a pinch.

13. Mike13

Mike13 New Member

Map
  14. DANIMAL

DANIMAL New Member

Bro,
    i can relate, 6 weeks after i got my baby. i was eating at a favorite restaraunt
    i was showing off my bike to the my friend, the chef. when we walked out of the kitchen. there she was laying on her side. she hit the curb, cracked the fairing which put a small dent in the tank, which I still can't afford to replace (over $600) . Like you , i had parked on a slight incline so I too put her on the centerstand. waaaahhhh I still can't believe it.:unsure::hangme:

15. mirkhanus

mirkhanus New Member

Dude, I feel you man. Just dropped my bike last Saturday, though it was due to my own carelessness. I mounted the bike whilst on mainstand & jerked it forward to bring it down. When it did come down after 1 push, my jeans got stuck on the foot peg & I couldn't get my right leg down... So, you'd imagine how embarrassing it was for me to be pinned under the bike at a crowded tourist spot.....@#@$@#*$@$!!!!!!

16. masonv45

masonv45 New Member

$7...you gotta' be kidding me!

For a buck and change, you can get a 4" round or square blank cover in the electrical section of any home improvement store:
    [​IMG]

Even has a hole in it so you can run a string up to the handle and make sure you don't forget it.

17. VsVFR

VsVFR New Member

Map
    PU sorry about your bike. Same thing happened to me last year, only scratched the case cover, not cracked it. If you lived closer I'd be bring you a spare helmet right now. Nothing like a fellow biker in need and having spares laying around.

Mirkhanus I almost dropped mine after getting my pants hung on the peg, luckily I ripped the pant leg in time to regain my footing. I'd have to say some of my scariest moments have just been moving the bike around in the garage or driveway. Under way I generally have things under control.

Vs

18. mirkhanus

mirkhanus New Member

Hahaha!! Better to buy new pants than new fairing... Unfortunately, the jeans I was wearing at that time was thick denim... No chance of ripping it...*sigh*