HOT PANTS !! - or How To Stay Cool

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by RllwJoe, Jul 16, 2018.

1. RllwJoe

RllwJoe Insider

United States
    Map
    It has been a hot humid summer so far.
    I would like to continue to wear ATGATT, but what I have is not comfortable in this heat.

What are your best recomendations for riding gear to stay cool in the heat and humidity?

2. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    I have read of a few choices. I wear Under Armour heat gear tights and long sleeve top. If you stop, you will still heat up and begin sweating but the moment you start to ride, you cool right off damned quick. Just remember to drink water to stay hydrated. The reason I initially start wearing this stuff is I had a bitch of a time getting my leathers off after a sweaty ride. With the Under Armour stuff, the leathers slip off very easily.

I wore that under a three season suit on one of my trips to California in late may early June. I was also in Phoenix AX during this trip and rode from Phoenix AZ to Palm Springs them north to Victimsville Ca, in 104F temps. I was very warm when stopped and drank litre after litre of water to counter the sweating, but soon as I was back on the freeways after a stop, I was quite comfortable.

RllwJoe likes this.
  3. scottbott

scottbott Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    I have just this week bought some 'single layer' denim bike jeans made by Halversons and their mesh under wear as I went out the week before and got so hot I felt unwell, just refitting all the bodywork to the bike so I can go out and 'test' them

RllwJoe likes this.
  4. XRedJar

XRedJar New Member

United States
    Map
    I got the Joe Rocket Mesh pants and with bike shorts underneath, work pretty good at keeping you as cool as possible while still affording decent protection.

RllwJoe likes this.
  5. Keager

Keager Member

United States
    Map
    I do cooling skivvies as well. Under armor or similar shirt under mesh Joe Rocket Interceptor jacket. No real special pants. Started wearing the Duluth Trading Fire-hose pants. flexible, very tough, breathable, stretchy in the right place, extra room in other places, and carpenter style so extra pockets.

RllwJoe likes this.
  6. Africord

Africord New Member

United States
    Map
    I use Olympia mesh gear. I have the Switchback jacket and Dakar pants. I wear a wicking t-shirt and boxer briefs. As others have said, hydration is key.

RllwJoe likes this.
  7. RllwJoe

RllwJoe Insider

United States
    Map
    All good information thus far.
    Any other options out there?

We all apreciate detailed info regarding brands, and suppliers.
    Thank you for sharing your most intamate secrets!

8. adk_finn

adk_finn New Member

United States
    Map
    I have a textile jacket and pants from Alpinestars that are part mesh (maybe 50% mesh panels, insulation and rain liner also but both are removable) and are light colored. They breathe really well and are comfortable even in hot weather (90 degrees F and up). The mesh panels are much better than vents, the air increased air movement is really noticeable. Also, the light color made a bigger difference than I was expecting, especially at stop lights/stop&go when I am not moving (no air flow). The black jacket would cook me at a stop, whereas the light color material mitigates this effect in a big way. I had previously been using a black textile Joe Rocket jacket that was only vented, I am really enjoying the upgrade. The pants are also much cooler than the kevlar and jeans tthat were my earlier go-to.

RllwJoe likes this.
  9. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I have the textile pants from cycle gear. The brand starts with an S but I don't recall the name. Anyway, I'd say they are just OK at ventilation. I usually wear shorts underneath, but the other day I overheated so much that I jumped in ToeCutter's pool in my shorts and then put the pants back on on top of the wet shorts. That helped.

I also have used the ICON moto jeans with all the patches and they are ok also. At least until it gets 90+. Once the temp is that high you are just gonna be hot so staying hydrated is the best thing. I even bought gatorade that day because I had sweated so much.

RllwJoe likes this.
  10. dlp

dlp New Member

United States
    I have a Held Sonic mesh jacket which works as well as any in the Florida heat.. it's light colored so that helps a bit, good when moving, but 90+ degree air at 90+ humidity is still not the best scenario.. my pants are Dainese Drake mesh, light colored as well.. they're ok, again when moving, the fairing does block out a bit of the air flow that would otherwise be slightly cooling.. as mentioned, stay hydrated, and whenever possible in the Florida summers, I ride in the a.m. and late p.m. and try to avoid the hottest part of the day..

RllwJoe likes this.
  11. VFR1200

VFR1200 New Member

Canada
    Map
    For those that go on trips or live where it is warm and would like to stay cool. Last year I did a ride in July from Phoenix to Calgary stopping off at Las Vegas. It was 44 centigrade... I wore all my gear. Here is what I had.
    Held textiles Carese 2 jacket and Held Torno 2 pants,
    Shark Race R Pro
    Alpinestars tech gloves
    Sidi boots
    Knox back protector
    EVS CTR cooling vest ($29)
    Buff
    Camelbak bag with water.

A tinted visor is a must. Stops the sun burning your face.
    Open all the vents on your helmet and the exhaust vents at the back.
    In one of my pods I had a small drybag filled with water. I would leave in the morning with the vest damp after soaking it in a sink. 1 hour later at a gas stop I would open the drybag and submerge the vest and put it on really wet. (in 1.5 hours the vest will be bone dry) I would also wet my Buff. Ride along, the air passes through the jacket, hits the wet vest and cool air passes over my torso and not 44 C air. The wet Buff protects my neck from the sun but also cools the main artery in my neck stopping me getting a headache.
    When I stopped at lights in Vegas, the heat coming up from the road just melted my hands in my gloves, once moving, all is fine.
    My feet were OK. I just wore really lightweight socks. Really, really thin socks.
    Camelbak allowed me to drink on the go. Hose up under the helmet and take a couple of sips.

Overall, I was pretty comfortable. Without the vest it would have been a different story. The bike also has a throttle lock, that was so nice. 2500 km in 3 days.

RllwJoe likes this.