How fast have you gone on your VFR?

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by Big_Panda, May 15, 2016.

1. RobVG

RobVG Member

Canada
    Map
    Did not receive said PM

2. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Agreed. speed = distance/time. That's the formula used with aircraft speed patrols. Sure got to feeling ill flying round and round and fucking round for 2 or so hours in a small 4 seater watching the ground. But the technology used at a track is far more accurate than someone pushing a button on a stop watch with their forefinger.

3. Riding a 2000

Riding a 2000 Member

United States
    Map
    ((Ra2K)) <<<<<< (Egg on face)

I *thought* I did.... Filled out the section from the classifieds section for a PM. But it does not show in my "Sent" box.

I try again.......

4. Riding a 2000

Riding a 2000 Member

United States
    Map
    We timed to 0.001 seconds, the distance was set by professional survey, for this: http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a10016/dodge-truck-sets-speed-record/ http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/dodge-ram-srt-10-grabs-guinness-world-record-58701042.html

The writer had a few missing facts, as we timed for both kilometer and mile, with a single start spot, and (obviously) different ends.
    Let me tell ya, when that truck went flying by 20 feet away at 150+, it was punching a BIG hole in the air!

5. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    Not when you're getting either 10,000 miles or kilometers....doesn't matter which one..... out of a rear.....; )

6. ridnout

ridnout New Member

United States
    Kinda looked over some of the last posts.

Here is my take on engineering versus mathematics, the pure science, and the fundamental sciences.

Number 1, engineers realize that the science and art of engineering is NOT math. That was beaten into my head as, I am a pure mathematician. Do not get me wrong; it is the heart, blood, soul, and voice of the craft. At the end of the day, it is just a tool as your creativity, aesthetics, economics, etc.

Number 2, do not expect analytical answers in the real world. Good enough is just that. Over the top is good enough too but may be a waste of resources outside of academia. 150 vs Bacardi. For me in this situation, same same. Oh, what I mean by analytical answers are those that are ABSOLUTE. Rarely happens in the real world.

Number 3, engineering is compromise.

Now, consumer inferiority of consumer grade GPS has improved as the error was largely removed in 2000. It is still not perfect. If the distance is off, then so is that analytical speed calculation.

Oh yeah, for land speed l, dontcha have to make two runs in opposite directions to cancel out grade also?

Back to rant mode.

Before I paste this, I asked a professor whose specialty is GPS navigation and such about just averaging several different units. Nahhhh he replied; the trick would be to lock onto as many satellites as possible. By the way, this excerpt which I just ran through will kinda give all an idea; this is the reason without tire slippage and other vehicles, radar guns, basically several indicators does our confidence, read mine, goes up in a measurement topology whatever.

On second thought lets not. Here is a link. Just pay attention to stuff like repeatability, error, consumer grade and the like: http://gpsworld.com/surveyconsumer-grade-gps-receivers-gis-data-collection-7311/

Just wanted to throw that out there.

At the end of the day, Bacardi might fuel another Bacardi run. Just kidding. Anyway, I am super small and can fully tuck, helmet and all, behind the stock windscreen. At the time weighing in at 135lbs, maybe just maybe 150lbs with gear is the reason I am confident.

Atthis time I will take the regular stuff over the GPS. Another reason is that most of my commuting is done within tree cover where I can make top end runs. Now that is on a closed course toooooooo.

Cheers.

Oh yeah I prolly have several mistakes in grammar, style, blah blah blah. Forgive me. I did this from the bed with the phone.

Isnt it cool digging up old threads.

Love yall, really, seriously. LOL.

7. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Can we still trust that 2+2=4?

Some realtime stuff on timing:

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/2010/03/article/salt-addiction-perfect-timing/

Is that 135 lbs accurate if ya down part of a jug of Bacardi Purple Label? Some dudes on that stuff swell to 6'5" and aboot 235 lbs. All the metric dudes are on their own on this one.....

For those who never quite got the hang of ET and top end, Candy Red is the go to guy here.

Stopwatch timing is best accomplished by initiating the timer not with the thumb but with the tip of the index finger.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  8. Badbilly

United States
    My quest has ended! ;)

9. Badbilly

United States
    Once again the urge to relate one of the more apt aplogues concerning speed strikes.

Three sparrows are perched upon the end of scoop shovel after a repast found in a corral somewhere in the West. Sparrow numero uno, states he or she (sparrow genders are relatively unimportant here) states, " I am going to take off and fly non-stop to New York," The birdy launches, flies five feet and drops deader than a mackerel.

Sparrow #2 puffs all up and states" I am going to take off and fly non stop to Canada." Birdy launches, flies five meters and drops dead.

Sparrow #3 goes for seconds.

Indeed the moral is not to fly off the handle when full of shit.

10. Roccoaster

Roccoaster New Member

France
    Map
    When I first did a max speed test I was in France and it was late evening on one of their motorways - I got it up to 160mph and that was about all it had.

Recently, some 15 years later I gave it another go on a German autobahn and almost hit 170mph (according to the speedo). Only difference was having the baffle removed from the exhaust.

I reckon that's quite impressive for and old bike.

11. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    I check my speedo with the radar signs-its actually not off too much-maybe just a few mph. I am running +2 in the back, so it runs a few more MPH then I am going. this is really something I care too much about-the very is actually faster than my old R6 600 when the vfr is going over 30 due to its monster mid range power

12. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Didn't realize those radars show under 25mph

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. ridnout

ridnout New Member

United States
    Bacardi 151.

If you use a stopwatch equipped with bttons with pre plungers, push the button down until it is seated but not depressed. Upon triggering event, bam.

14. Deckrat

Deckrat New Member

United States
    Map
    I'm just gonna go by the speedo and trust that it's somewhere in the ballpark. 128 indicated. Fear of prison is my rev limiter...

15. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    "Fear of Prison" Oooh you live in Alabama! I heard shit is harsh in the south. ;-) Worse case scenario in Utah is possibly losing your license for 3 months and bike impoundment which means it gets F..ked up by the tow company and shit missing off the bike.:) That's is for the 18-20 somethings. If over the age of 35 you could get almost the same, but less if you have riding gear, luggage, admit that you where riding to fast. Begin with "My Wife is going to kill me unless she is on back". Unlike the 18-20 somethings in Utah don't argue or swear at or around the "officer". Don't use the word "Cop" and Maybe start talking about the car or his or hers BMW R1200RT and or guns. Best case scenario is to get pulled over by a Motorcycle "Officer"! Why, because they are one of us generally (there are some that have a penance for being a prick and promoting bikes as safe riders). The patrol car officers are all about hate of bikes because we are faster and try to make a point. You know they get shit at the station from the cycle guys or gals calling them "Puss..." for not going threw extra training and cycle patrols are almost always single with no back up.

16. Badbilly

United States
    Fines in my hood are tiered by statute starting at five over @ 110 pesos. 128 MPH is trip to the greybar hotel and little choice in roomies.

17. Badbilly

United States

Do Mormons get brownie points in Utah when pulled over?

18. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    BB the King of useless posts

19. GatorGreg

GatorGreg Honda Fanboy/LitiGator

United States
    Map
    My evil twin managed to get up to triple digit speeds in this vid before he chickened out :)

[video=youtube;4NtCHJTT22c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NtCHJTT22c[/video]

20. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    Gee that's a new bike, why buy new when there are a of used bikes. the new vfr is slower and does nothing better except cost more.