How long do you leave your choke on for?

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by powderrecon, Mar 17, 2008.

1. powderrecon

powderrecon New Member

United States
    Map
    ...from a cold start?

I usually run mine on full for about 30 seconds, and then on half for another 30 seconds, while I put my gear on. Then off I go with no choke.

2. Fizz

Fizz New Member

Map
    Personally, it depends on the weather. If it's 75 out, I can get away with no choke at all. If it's night or early morning, I start about 1/4th choke if I can get away with it to get it started for about 10 seconds, take it off and manage speed with the throttle.

From what I've read excessive choke (fuel) hurts dilutes the oil film on the cylinder walls which results in increased wear. I wait about 1 1/2 min before I get going.

3. VT Viffer

VT Viffer New Member

United States
    Map
    My VFR is a little cold-blooded... Some mornings when I leave for work it's >50 degrees out and the VFR will not stay running without full choke initially. After it settles into a smooth idle (~3,000 rpm with choke on), I'll cut it to 1/2 choke and put on my gear. I try to have th choke off by th etime I ride away, after about five minutes total warm-up. It will run a little rough with the choke off up until that point.

However - I cleaned up the carbs on it this past winter, and hopefully, this is not my standard starting routine any longer. We'll see in about a month.

4. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Pretty much same here too, I get an ear for when it starts to raise in RPMs then figure she's just about good to go, usually in this weather thats about a couple minutes which just happens to be the right amount of time to get thy gear on, then theres the temp issue if it's warm out not much is used, nor for very long.

5. Joey_Dude

Joey_Dude Member

United States
    Map
    On my '99 I only use the choke when it's below 50 out. And when I use the choke I just let it there long enough until the revs stop climbing at around 3K and let it stay there for 5-10 seconds then I turn off the choke.

One thing to note is that for model years '98 to present the choke is really a fast idle and should not be confused with the pre-98 models that are carbuerated. The fast idle doesn't really do any potential damage unlike a choke, which if left unattended can flood the engine. Not a good thing!

As a matter of fact for models 00 to present there is no longer a choke handle and it's automatic. All you have to do is start and it warms it up for you.

6. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Was going to say You have a choke? but then I read further where you covered it. ;)

7. kingsley

kingsley New Member

Canada
    Map
    Probably typical but...

Full choke until it speeds up on it's own, about a minute (it will go to 3,000+)
    Push the choke down to keep it at about 1500 rpm
    Ride away
    A couple of blocks later, push it off completely.

8. pontiacformula99

pontiacformula99 New Member

Until fluid comes out of the overflow tube... Mines Carbed and has to be up to temp.:lol: Usually until I can see the temp needle start to move.

9. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    EXCESSIVE or unnecessary use of choke causes high cylinder/piston ring wear because the fuel reduces oil film lubrication and can dilute oil in sump after passing below piston.

BEST practice ( some may disagree) is to use the idle speed adjusting screw to set fast-idle speed on warmup and reduce choke to zero as soon as engine runs......

USING too much choke for too long will cause sparkplugs to foul and stop the engine running.

in warm weather, or with mixture screws tweaked, no choke at all is probably necessary.