How many older guys ride VFR?

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by rexbaum, Nov 22, 2009.

1. staffybull

staffybull New Member

United States
    STing. How do you put an st windscreen on a vfr? I have an '04. Vfr 800. Windscreen leaves a lot to be desired. Even after market zero gravity. Love the look of your stiffer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Ricko600

Ricko600 New Member

I'm almost 62 and bought a new 2014 VFR800FD with bags and quickshifter. Added bar risers and Knight Engineering lower pegs. Love this bike. Also have a 1995 Ducati 916S1.

3. jswisc

jswisc New Member

Love my 08' VFR. I'm 67 and rode across country last year on it. I visit LA quite often and when there, I usually rent a BMW RT from eaglerider rentals. I finally decided I needed one and just purchased a 14' RT a week ago. I'm going to keep my VFR cause t's just a great bike but in the past 3 years I've spent about 20 full days on RT's. I just wanted real cruise control. I find that I use it all the time. The RT handles every bit as well as the VFR and if the new Interceptors offered cruise and maybe electronic suspension I'd be all over it. For the time being, I'll be sharing my miles between the VFR, the RT, and of course my Ducati 800ss race bike.....

4. STing

STing New Member

Map
    I had a stock ST1100 windshield sitting around and after installing 5.5 inch risers plus Helo bars for a much more upright position, I had to increase the wind deflection. I just used blue painters tape to hold the ST windshield till I determined the proper height and angle. I just carefully drilled mounting holes through the factory deflector. I used new mounting kit for a ST to secure the windshield, STiffer windshield done. Thanks for compliment.

Hopefully in a couple of weeks I will post some additional photos. I've changed to dual sport tires, added a dash with 2 USB, a 12 volt power port and a digital volt meter. Also have added low beam LED floodlights and high beam 8 degree LED spotlights. Being so light weight compared to my other scooters, I'm having a lot of fun riding with the dirt road boys. They have fun trying to run their thumpers and twins with my STiffer on the pavement.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
  5. chuckywucky

chuckywucky New Member

I'm in my late 40s and picked up a new 2014 VFR800F last week. My first VFR was a 2007 and absolutely loved the bike, thus this purchase.

6. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    It's only going to continue going down hill for you. Sounds like the solution is a new wife.....

7. jjkidd58

jjkidd58 New Member

United States
    Map
    58 love my 2015 vfr. my wife 50 rides an 06 kawasaki 500r sport bike. i tried to get her a newer bike but she wont have it

8. Raro

Raro New Member

Map
    I just turned 57 and am planning on buying an 2014.
    I had an 06 and sold it when i moved. I then bought a BMW G650gs. Nice bike but I really miss my VFR.

9. Africord

Africord New Member

United States
    Map
    Apparently, I subscibed to this thread 5 years ago, but never posted. Okay, I've 58 with an 2002 that I've added 35,000 miles to since 2010. I'm ready for my second chain and sprocket replacement, and my 5th set of tires. I live in the land of straight and flat, so I don't burn them up, immediately. My last 1600 mile trip left me with a lower backache that I don't remember before, so I need to get better at taking care of my equipment. I bicycle to stay in shape, but I moved this year and my miles on the bicycle are down.

10. Audible

Audible New Member

Australia
    Map
    I'm getting a brand new VFR for my 50th birthday.
    I'm not old, really!

No I'm not! :distress:

I'm not even close to the hill!

11. captmikejd

captmikejd New Member

United States
    Usually Florida when I am actually in the US
    I'm 63 almost 64 and I have 2 07 VFR'S, one for the wife!
    I also have an 03 Blackbird for when she wants to ride the VFR. So get her one of her own, easy.

12. Nyserik

Nyserik New Member

United States
    I fit well within this group. I am almost 63 and have 2 VFRs a 94 Gen 4 with 15k miles on it and I just picked up a 98 Gen 5 with 33k miles on it. Really enjoy VFRs. I have ridden all of the generations except for the last few years. I will always have one in my garage.

13. vdrive

vdrive New Member

United States
    Map
    just turned 63, bought my gen. 5 new in May of 1998.for the riding i do its still my first choice.

14. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    An unexpected event resulted in my adding an '87 700 (in white) that a neighbor brought in and asked if i wanted to have it. Original engine "done blowedup" so some guy attempted to stuff a gen 3 into the '87 frame, then gave it up due to all the complications.

age 73.4, and this is about the 10th gen 2 i've had, fixed, ridden, sold or owned. so i'm planning to remove gen 3 engine and replace with an '86/'87 700 when i find the right deal $$. another one back on the road !

my day "job" is working on my VFRs, Hawk, others. and hanging out and drinkin 'till late. But in frigid Buffalo, not somewhere nicer with sun.

my preferred ride in town is a Hawk NT650, so much lighter and lower for a getting-older short guy.

sttill haven't run out of bike storage space thanks to my benefactor with a warehouse, so i'll be finishing projects as long as i can hold a wrench.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
    Allyance likes this.
  15. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Is the motor the same as the Magna 700?
    Quite a few on eBay

16. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    NO. smh.. ;)

17. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    similar but not the same

18. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Oh I tried

19. RllwJoe

RllwJoe Insider

United States
    Map
    53 years, and purchased a '98 last fall. I was attracted to VFR's because of the reputation for reliability, and the more comfortable ride in a sport bike vein. I plan to keep this one as long as I can physically ride it.

20. Eagle Six

Eagle Six New Member

United States
    Map
    06' VFR800 purchased a few months ago, I'm 71. Nice little bike. After a ten year lay-off, this past February I purchased 07' FJR1300A thinking the wife would prefer the position 2-up. Not so, she likes being a human packback. So in April I picked up the VFR and she likes it far better than the FJR which she calls an old mans bike! I should not have been surprised, as prior to our riding lay-off she had about 17K miles on the back of our ZX-14. When we have sold the FJR, making room in our storage unit, we will be shopping for another ZX-14. Although the VFR is really all we need.

ridervfr likes this.