How Tight Should A Leather Jacket Fit?

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by i_needit, Jun 29, 2008.

1. i_needit

i_needit New Member

I went to cycle gear today and picked up a Dainese Zen Leather Street Jacket. When I talked to the guy I tried on the 46/56 and he said it was to loose, so I tried on the 44/54 and he checked it out told me to take a deep breath with my t-pro back pad and I should not be able to have no more .5- 1 inches of loose material. So I jumped on my bike and went for a little ride, kinda felt like a pimple ready to pop. I can take very deep breath and I can move but it is a strange feeling. This is the first time I have ever worn a leather jacket that is supposed to be my size. So will really how it is supposed feel? Do you guys get more comfortable with this feeling and will the leather give a bit?

Thanks

2. bitterpil

bitterpil New Member

United States
    Map
    The idea of being tight is that it wont fill with air and flap around in the wind. Also you don't want your armor shifting out of place when getting off the bike at speed. Same goes for all jackets tho not just leather.
    I personally like my jacket tight fitting. You need to be comfortable in the jacket though. I would say you should be able to wear a sweatshirt under your jacket with out it imparing your opperation. If you can do that then the jacket is probably right.

You will get used to the tight feeling. It will become a secure feeling before too long. Kinda like a snug fitting helmet.

3. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

If it fits correctly, a leather jacket should be very snug. Once it breaks in, it should be snug but comfortable. If it is uncomfortable, try a different jacket. Try to do a push up wearing your jacket. If you can do it but it constricts you & doing the push up is not a comfortable thing to do, it's probably the right size. If you can do the push up no problem, it's most likely too big.

The reason for the tight fit has to do with how a leather jacket protects you in a crash. Leather is designed to slide along the pavement. If it fits too loosely, your body will move inside the jacket. This is why it's a fairly common thing to see minor road rash on someone even thought their jacket never ripped. If it is very tight, you are held in place & your apendages have no place to go.

KC-10 FE out...
    :plane: :usa2:

4. bitterpil

bitterpil New Member

United States
    Map

YEAH... That's what I was trying to say .....

5. i_needit

i_needit New Member

Ya, its tight but it doesn't cut off circulation. I just need to loose my midsection. :)

6. jwnaron

jwnaron New Member

I ran into the same thing when I purchased my Dainese Leather jacket. I bought it used from a guy, but it was in mint condition. It's a 44/54 and I am about 6' 200lbs. When I got it and tried it on I was like, Oh no! I just spent $300 on a leather jacket that's bada$$, but it's too small. After applying the Dainese leather conditioner and wearing it some more it eventually started to to fit better, but it will always be a tight.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Drop a couple and you'll be golden. My only complaint that the the shoulders have an external carbon fiber shoulder pad (Bora model I think) that's covered by some clear protective covering. It catches my helmet a bit when I turn my head, but other than that you'll get used to it. Like other guys said, you'll probably appreciate the fit if you ever need to use the jacket's protective capabilities.

7. jay956

jay956 New Member

you need to be able to move, but you shouldnt be able to move around in it.

like a condom.

8. Chicky

Chicky New Member

United States
    Map
    How do I follow THAT comment? Hehehehe!

Anyway, my first leathers were actually custom made, and both the pants and jacket were sooooooooo tight I could barely move. They were goatskin and I was told they would stretch a LOT, so I wore them at home at night, and felt like a mummy, until they stretched out. After about 10 years of wear, they actually stretched enough that they were too big.

All I'm trying to say is that I agree with what everyone said above. Leathers should be snug mainly for safety and injury protection reasons. Many people get leathers that fit right off the rack and in a short amount of time they are loose and baggy... they will not be protected well if they crash. Well, not as well as if their leathers fit them properly.

My theory on pants too is that they need to be too tight off the rack... they will stretch to fit you properly. I just bought a new pair and couldn't get the zipper up. After breaking them in at home a couple nights, I could get the zipper up... and after a few more nights they fit perfectly. Believe me, your jacket WILL stretch out and fit YOU perfectly!!

9. Mainjet

Mainjet New Member

United States
    Map
    I'm 6'2" & about 190. I went with the 46,56 Zen. It fits tight with the liner, slightly loose without. I think it is a good compromise. I like the jacket, its very comfortable.

10. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    First when you try on a leather jacket, take out the lining. You wont be using it the majority of the time. (I must have 5 or 6 linings rotting in my closet.)
    The jacket should feel snug, but not choking.

A Dainese? Lucky foole! That is a fine jacket.

Good luck,
    MD

11. crustyrider

crustyrider New Member

Map

I was just imagining you wrapped in goatskin..... :madgrin:

12. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Yep pretty much what they all said, pretty much needs to be second skin. Only problem is getting it right, then getting use to it. Bet this is one area that stops HD riders from moving over to sport.
    Off the shelf sizes are never quite right for me. I'm a 42 tall with a 33 waist with 35 inch sleeves I fit 42 us, 52 euro, in the chest but the sleeves are to short, So I tried a 44 and now the waist is to big, sleeves are still only so so. that's with my First gear suit I wear for daily riding. I also run around in a Spidi that's a euro 54 luckily it's full zip two piece race suit, waist is to big for my liking, nothing worse than diaper butt. but the shoulders and sleeves are spot on so I deal with it. I did look into custom suits which is my goal, I even got to try some on that fit, Nice, talk about a whole other feeling, but at $1700 for a basic setup is out of my $$$$ range.
    So yes wear it, two things will happen you'll get use to it, and it will stretch to your liking, maybe not this year, but it will, if...... Enjoy

13. dirty black bird

dirty black bird New Member

i always thought about this but never asked.and i kinow the answer!!!you guys rule

14. kvanmar

kvanmar New Member

Same here, 6-2 and 188 lbs. Have a Zen size 56 Euro, kinda tight with liner and little loose without it.

However, it fits just right with a long sleeve undershirt!

15. i_needit

i_needit New Member

Wow this is an old topic. At the time I was on buying thing, I bought the Dainese Zen, Motoport kevlar jacket and a Spidi. I ended up returning the Dainese Zen, it was a tad to long and would ride up in the back. The Motoport was returned it was way to big and was actually warmer than the leather jacket, to much flow. I kept the Spidi 50/40, great fit, tight but not to tight. If I ever get the chance I will go to NH and visit Vanson and have on custom fit.

16. RWB25

RWB25 New Member

NH? I thought Vanson Leathers was in MA? Do they have a store/outlet in NH?

17. RWB25

RWB25 New Member

18. i_needit

i_needit New Member

My bad, there in Fall River, MA.

19. TheSkeeter

TheSkeeter New Member

Map

20. ZonaMan

ZonaMan New Member

I have been wanting to get a perfed leather jacket for summer riding, but have heard that the perfed leather rips open on impact and doesn't protect any better than a textile jacket. Anyone know of this rumor?