How to fix common regulator/Stator failures

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by Rubo, Jul 7, 2012.

1. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

United States
    Map
    Ok dude..
    -- For the R/R tests and just battery check - from the off position go left to the DCV side and put it on the 20 position.
    -- For stator tests
    ------ 1. to check resistance --- see where it says OHM? From off position rotate down to the 200 spot. Got it?
    ----- 2. For engine running AC voltage. See ACV? Click to 200.
    Got that much?

2. M Jay

M Jay New Member

United States
    Map
    Just want to say thank you again to everyone for their help with this. I learned a lot and so far everything has checked out. I even took the time to install a digital volt meter to keep an eye on things. So glad this forum/resource exists.

3. VFR Love

VFR Love New Member

United States
    On a 6th gen aside from the recall being done, what else is considered prudent? Vfr ness and MOSFET rectifier?
    How do heated grips effect things? It would seem that they help reduce the possibility of a fried rectifier as it draws potentially excess current.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. zoom-zoom

zoom-zoom Member

Canada
    Map
    i would say that the VFRNess and a MOSFET R/R would be a good addition so that you know the charging system will be working properly. If you were to add heated gear and heated grips they will draw a reasonable amount of current and if the charging system were already weak they could hasten the problems. The bikes charging system should easily be able to handle the excess draw providing it is working properly. I used to ride with a heated vest on high while riding my last bike (97 VFR) but at first had huge problems with excess draw. Once I discovered that's the R/R was near death and changed it, I had no issues afterwards.

5. Buzzard60

Buzzard60 New Member

I'll get roasted for this, but here goes. My first question is: How many other Hondas does the VFR's stator also fit? A few, I believe. Do these other bikes have the same charging problems? If not, what is different in these other bikes systems? What prompted my suspicion is a previous bike, a Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans. In it's owners manual, it directly addresses battery placement, as well as battery type. A lead/acid battery should never be positioned with it's connecting lugs at or below acid level. Period. (as Obama would say). The Guzzi manual advises an AGM or gel battery be placed if the battery position is such that the lugs are near, or below, acid level. And that such battery be clearly marked as suitable for "all position" use. The reason for this is that battery acid contacting the lugs (including the connecting bridges) may cause a short in the charging system. With a short, the charging amperage will be at a maximum for extended periods, causing heat and breakdown. This from a Moto Guzzi manual. My 1998 VFR has the battery placed with a 45 deg lean with the lugs down. When I got the bike, the previous owner was putting a new battery in it yearly or less (top dollar Yuasa lead acid), and it lived on a battery tender. After a few low battery episodes, I switched to a gel battery. No further problems, even with my running heated grips and a heated vest. You can fix the symptoms, or you can fix the problem.

6. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    I don't think you'll get roasted: its an interesting concept about the battery. And while it may be true (and something I might personally consider), it doesn't change the fact that the wiring used by Honda on the R/R to stator connections was just inadequate (although I don't specifically recall what gauge wiring it is). Kind of like running a 17000BTU air conditioner through an 18 gauge extension cord. It'll work, but not for long.

Also, the original R/R on the VFR were just a bad design; poor positioning with no air flow and little to no ability to heat sink properly (not to mention they weren't MOSFET). So even with an "all position" battery, it doesn't change a design flaw by Honda. Its no wonder they moved the R/R to the front of the bike in 2006. Maybe teh fact that the battery box is at angle is yet another design flaw...

7. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    + 1 on this

Yes basically the same faults appear on other Honda bikes - just search the hondahornet.org or Fireblades.org websites and you will see plenty of similar tales of woe and very similar advice being dispensed on how to diagnose and fix the problem.

Fundamentally most of the charging system is bought in and inevitably external suppliers will build stuff primarily to a budget(and profit) rather than reliability. As long as failures occur after the warranty period - it can be seen as a winner for everyone (except the stranded owner) as dealers will probably be happy to have a plentiful supply of chargeable work.

As for battery tilt angle I guess if it is tilted far enough to expose some of the plates then it won't help longevity. But as Pliskin says on the early VFRs the real problem seemed to be linked to loom defects (connectors and inadequate wiring gauge) and stupid RR design/location. Whilst hot engine oil seems to kill stators on newer bikes. In most cases I have come across, the battery seemed to be victim of the defects rather than the cause. Interestingly Yamaha whilst running a generically similar charging system took a different stance by spending a bit more to fit decent wiring and MOSFET RRs and produced rather more reliable charging systems.

Just my 2p - and I wish Honda had spent it!:soapbox:

SkiMad

8. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

United States
    Map
    Result of undersized wire on R/R and Stator....
    [​IMG]

9. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    That looks more like you roasted a marshmallow Mello..when they get all black and gooey from lighting on fire.

10. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

United States
    Map
    ^^^^ its not my bike......

11. Steve777

Steve777 New Member

Hi Rubo

I am only average at electrics but this video was great in helping me understand a bit, I have a vfr 2001 800FI and the symptom is that i took it for a 20 mile ride the other day, then stopped the machine then tried to start it straight away and it was as though the battery was flat, I left it for one hour then it started fine, also I have noticed that the digital clock and trip meter keep resetting, do you think is the rectifier,

By the way if I don't hear from you i will try and do these tests. as these parts are not cheap and I dont want to buy the wrong parts,

Thanks once again for a great bit of info

Steve

12. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

United States
    Map
    For a step by step goto post #9

13. Steve777

Steve777 New Member

Thanks for the info, yes Ian am familiar with these basic settings I just wanted tomake sure that it is ohms setting for testing the Rr,
    Any thoughts on how to determine which spade connector is which for testing,
    Thanks again

14. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

United States
    Map
    Dunno which post # is that, but I was refering to page one - post nine. -- The Drill. ---Hard to miss in big black letters.

--- mello dude's philosophy on R/Rs..... They either work or they dont. It's 1 or 0. ---If the stator proves good, the battery has been tested good and your wires and harness look good, and the voltage output at 5k is sub 13.5ish or less, or, blasting out 15.2ish or more, then its elephant dung, on the way out.--- Screw the diode test.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  15. Maggot

Maggot New Member

United States
    Map
    I found a melted wire next to the Main "B" 30 amp fuse when I put her away last fall. I fixed the wire and installed the VFRness this spring. Did the complete "Drill" and my charging rate went from 14.1 volts to 14.8 volts. The VFRness is amazing and the guy that makes them is extremely helpful.

Do "The Drill" and install the VFRness from "Wire my Bike".

My bike is a 2007 with 20k miles, so NO they did not fix the problem in 2006.

16. Steve777

Steve777 New Member

After initial tests found Rr faulty, now ordered new one, hope I got it right, thanks for the info,

Steve

17. Steve777

Steve777 New Member

Thanks for the info, now ordered new rectifier

18. Maggot

Maggot New Member

United States
    Map
    Do "THE Drill" again after the new R/R is put in.

19. revguy

revguy New Member

Canada
    Map
    i keep checking my wires and connectors every year on my bike, I make sure they are clean and tight and have not had a problem at all............... yet

20. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Famous last words... :pray2:

Be Lucky!

SkiMad