I am going to buy a new seat, Corbin or Sargent?

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by Lighter, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Lighter

Lighter New Member

I took a just tool a 1280 mile trip in Colorado this summer and the stocker has got to go! 5th gen Vffer worked awsome though. I am not sure which way to go though Corbin or Sargent? I like the idea of the leather corbin, not sure what the Carbon FX inserts means on Sergants site? I dont need the removeable rear section cause I have sweet tail bag by Gears that never leaves my bike.
    I never did get the rear seat cowl with my bike but it doesn't really matter cause my tail bag is allways there anyway. I would like to here from anyone that has a Gunfighter Corbin seat or WSP Sergant and tell us how you like them!!
    They are about the same price at their web sites aprox. 400.00 with shipping.
    For some reason I am leaning toward the Sargent though.

Ride every day, Lighter!

2. Yosh70

Yosh70 New Member

3. motor_ref

motor_ref New Member

If you decide to get a corbin, be careful. Try it on the bike before you let go of your money.

The don't have much customer service.

4. two4one

two4one New Member

United States
    Map
    I've owned Corbin's previously but went with a Sargent this time on the VFR. So far...I'm loving the Sargent! I don't think you'll be disappointed. I have roughly 600-700 miles on mine now, it's actually starting to feel better as I get used it and it breaks in.

5. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    I've never had a Sargent, doesnt mean I wouldnt try one, but I have had 4-5 Corbins now and probly get another whenever I get another bike.

Motor_ref is right though, they dont know what service is.

MD

6. pm_wizard

pm_wizard New Member

Map
    I've had a Sargent for a few weeks now, and wonder how I survived withour it. Great seat, very comfortable without much compromise. It has prevented /fixed all the issues I ghad with the stock seat.

It looks well made too!

John

7. fotomoto

fotomoto New Member

I have had both on a 6gen and I like them both. I give the sargent the edge on shorter stints while the corbin seems better on the marathon legs.

The bottom line is either are MUCH better than stock so you really can't go wrong.

8. Lighter

Lighter New Member

Wow great replies! Thank you! That faster than I expected.
    I wondered If it was just a personal preference or what. I sent a Question to Sargents about their product and will see what reply they give me. What kinda material do you'all like the best?
    Leather or Grip tex?
    Thanks Yosh70 for the site I did check it out, about $50.00 cheaper!

Ride a lot, Lighter

9. Ghost 1

Ghost 1 New Member

Map
    I run a Corbin seat. Love it. Nice and smooth, I can really move around well on it. The down side... I let a puddle of ice form on it. I guess the water was absorbed into the leather and then expanded when it froze. I have to look at this raised leather reminder every day. It's not too bad, hardly noticable to anyone but me. The lesson learned, treat leather with protective conditioners and don't expose it to extreme conditions for prolonged periods of time. Even so, I still like it. Also, maybe it is from my dirt bike days, but I always sit right up on the tank. The Corbin lets me do this. It doesn't have a deep seat that pulls me away from the tank.
    I would imagine the Sargent seat is also of high quality and would say you can't go wrong either way.

10. Link

Link New Member

I had a Corbin on a st1100, I liked it, but I did'nt like scrambling for the cover to protect the leather when it rained for long periods of time. I now have a Sargent carbon fx on the vfr and I don't care if it gets wet, as far as a rear end analysis goes, between the two, I'd go with Sargent whether it was for a vfr or another bike.

11. pontiac_banshee

pontiac_banshee New Member

United States
    Alternative - Custom Also

Want an alternative???
    Get you seat redone!!!!!!!
    Did a lot of searching on web and found these guys. Your seat redone for:
    Basketweave - 135 or $270.43 US

BladeRunner - 165 or $330.53 US

Shipping back to me - 12 or $24.04

http://www.cmseats.co.uk/GALLERY.htm

12. pontiac_banshee

pontiac_banshee New Member

United States
    Oooooppppppppppppsssssssssss

Shipping charge was wrong. The guy didnt realize I was from US. $150 shipping with insurance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok where did I put that link for Sargent?

13. Taz

Taz New Member

Here's the scoup,

Corbin are best if you go straight to the factory & have your seat fitted to you. If you do that, there isn't a better seat out there (when I ride to the GP races @ Laguna Seca, I buzz up to the factory to get a seat or adjustments), but off the shelf Corbins I wasn't that comfortable on, but when I went to a bike show & they had a booth there, they fixed & adjusted it to custom fit me for FREE ! so thats service.

Sargent is no doubt off the shelf better, than Corbin, but if you can get a Corbin fitted, Your Arse will be beyond happy, & thankful:tongue: .

My next trip to Laguna seca, I'm going to Corbin & getting a fitted seat for my '06 Sprint !!!!

14. Innovator

Innovator New Member

I went with the Carbon FX inserts with the daytona tooled leather trim on my Sargent. It works out perfect.

15. olivino

olivino New Member

I bought a Corbin for my 07 VFR, very comfortable and great quality, but extremely heavy. I owned a Sargent seat on a Ducati, also excellent quality and comfort, but much lighter than the Corbin. Then bottom line is I found comfort equal, but Corbin does give more style options for the Gunfighter.

16. PorscheBob

PorscheBob New Member

United States
    Map
    Many years ago when Corbin first started making seats I had Mike himself build one for my Yamaha FJ1100 and one for my wife's bike CBR600.
    Both were excellent, but later I had a seat made by his workers two years later and the quality was way down.
    Recently I purchased a Sargent two-piece seat off of eBay for $330. They have two left.

If you want one go to: (eBay # 160153098762)...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-...006QQitemZ160153098762QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

I just installed it yesterday and was very impressed by the quality and fit.
    However, be warned...when the passenger seat is on the tool kit would not fit under the seat.

For me, probably not a big problem because most of the time I will be riding with the rear seat cowl in place, without the passenger seat.
    This creates a nice storage area under the seat cowl.

Sargent seats have an optional "quick-release" pin kit that replaces the Frankenstein bolts (with some drilling).

I elected to keep the Franky bolts because I didn't want to drill and I wanted to retain the feature of attaching bungee cords easily.
    I carry a large diameter washer that works as a screw driver to take off the Franky bolts.

Email me if you want pics. porsche.bob@sbcglobal.net

17. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    Just a follow up --- I did a 560mile ride yesterday and while -yes- I had a sore arse, the Corbin kept it tolerable. Pretty damn impressive!

MD

18. jdfletcher21

jdfletcher21 New Member

United States
    Map
    I bought a 5th gen with a Corbin smuggler. I also have the stock seat. The Corbin is 10x better than stock. I love it. It is wider, and much more firm, which is good for longer distances. My shoulders wear out long before mu butt.

19. Lighter

Lighter New Member

I got my Sargent seat the other day (Thanks Yosh70) from Sandhill power sports, it took an extra 3weeks because I wanted a seat with black piping instead of yellow or red and it was only $20 more. I absolootly LOVE that seat!!!! It answered all my problems!!! It is higher in the front and wider in the back and a slight dish to acually fit you. My tool kit still does fit in the original location, (Porschebob) maybe I am missing a few tools. I am sure it will be better for a passenger also with the dish shape for them also and better grip. I never thought I would spend that much for a seat but it was well worth it. $341.96 total price no freight charges or tax!!! (including the $20 extra) from the link above, Thanks again Yosh70 for the info. Lighter.

20. tbone

tbone New Member

CORBIN SUCKS!!! I will never spend another cent with those @sswipes. Bought my 93 VFR with a corbin on it but the seams were all seperated and the foam was showing through. Sent it in to be recovered and they told me 2 1/2 to three weeks. 45 days later I received the seat. Took it out of the box and noticed some spots on the seat. Took a wet rag to the seat and tried to remove the spots but had no luck. Contacted Corbin and they said some WD-40 should take it right off. Wrong! The WD-40 did nothing. Next they said to try some paint thiner to remove the spot then use some saddle conditioner on it. Well the paint thinner took off the spot but it also took off the coating on the seat and now I have a spot that is three times as big. Since then I've sent them over ten emails with pictures to three different people non of which have been returned. Also when I tried putting on the seat for the first time I didn't fit worth a crap. I had to shim the bracked on my bike to make the seat fit. Then I had to wrestle with it for about a half hour to get it on. Nothing is more frustrating than poor customer service. I will be buying anything BUT a Corbin from now on. I can't stress how pissed about this whole thing I am.

Attached Files: