I Got A Big One

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by Big_Jim59, Jun 30, 2017.

1. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    I got a Big One! I really have wanted one of these since i saw one for sale at Barber. It is one of the last two bikes I have actually wanted to own. (The other bike is a Honda CB1 400 and I am too damn big for it.) I am not too big for this bike though. The CB1000 Big One or CB1000SF (for Super Four) really fits me well.

The bike is in amazing condition except for the crash damage and that’s not too bad considering. The gas tank bore the brunt of the damage with a fist sized punch/scrape on the left side. Everything but the tail piece is there. The kid gave me two boxes and a garbage bag of parts that went with the bike. There was the OEM tool kit, the plastic side covers that were undamaged, the plastic battery cover also undamaged and he even had the battery bolts in a little bag. But there was more.

There is a new OEM stator cover and cap (unavailable from Honda.) Like wise a small aluminum cover for the opposite side. There were new OEM levers, a new turn signal lens and a bunch of small Honda parts like coolant hose rubber seals and a starter bushing. There was also a set of engine bolts and exhaust pipe seals. I got the impression that the guy was getting ready to do a frame off cosmetic update and lost interest. The only thing missing was the tail piece and the kid said it exploded all over the street and the time of the accident.

The gas cap was off, so they could drain the tank and they put the screws in a little taped up bag. The only things it didn’t come with was a battery and a seat tail fairing. I bought a new battery while I was at the shop showing off the bike. (It was in the truck.) When I got home I did a through search and I found a tail in Japan via ebay, which I ordered. It needs paint but I am going to have the whole bike painted so that's no big deal.

I did get running and it sounded wicked! I kind of figured it would run but you never know until you actually hear it go putty putty. I took a clean ketchup squeeze bottle and squirted gas down the feed line. The tank is off and dry and I didn’t feel like filing it so I took the lazy way out. I pushed it outside because I always have a healthy fear of fire and explosion. It ran on choke, smoothed out for a few seconds and all four pipes got hot so that’s as good a sign as I can get. I am not expecting much from just gas in the bowls. I guess I will fill the tank and fettel the running and then, when the tail, comes in I'll pull it apart for paint.

I put the tank and seat on it to see how it feels. I think I am going to have to get the seat reworked. It is really low and deeply dished. I know why they did it since it gives shorter people better access to the ground but the ride position feels really cramped for such a big bike and the pegs feel too far forward. The seat needs to be built up, flatter with a lot more foam.

I am very happy with this find.

Attached Files:

2. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Sweet. Congratulations!

3. OZ VFR

OZ VFR Member

Australia
    Map
    That would make a nice platform for a cafe racer.

4. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    It's really too nice to mod much. You can tell that this bike has spent its life pampered. The finish, except for the crash damage, is extraordinary. There is no faded paint, the engine paint looks pristine and the polished bit sparkle. My goal is to get it running, get it painted and ride it. The bike has 23340 miles on it. It is a 95 model. The bike is 22 years old so someone rode it 1000 a year. Amazing!

5. OZ VFR

OZ VFR Member

Australia
    Map
    I thought you would say that, and I don't blame you, it looks great and will make a great day bike.
    I only mentioned it because I've been looking for a cafe build, and really like the lines of that bike.
    I can picture it with wire wheels, UD forks, clipons, single seat with rear bump and slightly lowered on the front.
    It amazes me how many people buy a bike and then don't ride it.
    There was a 01 VFR for sale here recently with one owner and 9000km, he stated it is a much loved bike which has never been in the rain, never been over 7000rpm or 110km/h.
    What did he buy it for?
    He also stated he would keep it if he didn't get AU$8000 for it, not sure if it sold or not.

6. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Wow awesome find

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    As I understand it, the CB1000 was Honda's first attempt at a retro four. It's didn't hit the mark because the engine looked too modern with its slab sides. For me the biggest draws are the huge tank and that beautiful big honking motor. It is one of those bike I can just sit in the shop and stare at. It just looks that good to me.

I am going to have the whole bike painted. I am not a huge fan of the original red (too many red bikes) and I find black bikes the same (it only came in red and black) so I have been thinking of going white. Maybe adding a red stripe down the tank and tail.

The 18 inch wheels are problematic for tire choices. A VTR1000 17" front is a direct swap as is a Blackbird rear 17". This would be a future project but it would make tire choices much broader.

white-mockup.jpg

8. JZH

JZH New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    I have a Big One front end in the garage (sans wheel, discs and mudguard), and it does look like a VTR1000F front wheel would bolt straight on to your bike. The discs are 310mm on the CB and 296mm on the VT, but they otherwise have the same bolt pattern and offset. With both triples having 192mm fork spacing, I think you could probably swap the discs and achieve a perfect OEM swap. The tyre might look a little small, compared with the mudguard, but it would be hard to see that.

The Big One looks like a J-spec CB400SF HyperVTEC on steroids...

Ciao,

9. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    I run a 110/80 x 18 Pirelli Angel GT on the front of my ST1100, great tyre and I think the 18" feels pretty good for stability and relaxed steering.

10. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    A little update on this CB1000 project: I got my paint work back and it looks fantastic but now I have to keep pulling the tank to make the bike run right. I put the stage two jet kit in it and Oh what a difference. It pulls hard off idle and just keeps pulling. It doesn’t have that popping and burbling at steady low throttle anymore. I took great pains with the carb sync so I know that it is as close as I can get it. It revs nice and sounds good.

But, as you know, the first ride never goes as planned. I took the Big Boy out early and rode about a quarter mile before I noticed that the gas was off. This bike is 1990s technology with an on/off/reserve petcock plus a handy vacuum activation valve. (Oh joy.) I got to the road and sprinted up highway 896 to the highway 69 intersection when the bike started to starve for fuel. I flipped the petcock over to reserve and waited. The bike smoothed out and started to run on all four cylinders. I decided to head back to the house. I just made it to the turn off to my dirt road and it started to starve for fuel again and then it died on an gravel incline.

I pushed it up the hill and my neighbor Joe gave me a ride to the house to get tools. I also got all the local gossip from Joe. I didn’t have any tools with me because I didn’t want to put my tank bag on the new white paint. (So much for vanity!) I picked up enough tools to pull the tank and I picked up my hand vacuum pump. When I got back to the bike I pulled the vacuum line to the petcock and gave it a few pumps on the hand pump. It held pressure and the bike started right up. I rode it home. I guess I will be draining that massive tank and rebuilding the petcock.

11. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Pictures when it's time.
    Not really a true motorcyclist if ya never forgot to turn the gas on right?

12. OZ VFR

OZ VFR Member

Australia
    Map
    This is a common problem with older bikes that have used ethanol fuel.
    The stuff eats away at rubber diaphragms and cause head aches to all sort of vacuum and fuel systems.
    But it sounds loke you're getting there.
    I'm also keen to see some pictures.

13. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    We have all sputtered to a stop at some point or other.

dhinson66 and duccmann like this.
  14. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    I can't figure why I can pull a vacuum on he petcock with my hand helf vacuum pump and gas flows just fine but the engine vacuum can't manage the same. I am going to drain the tank tomorrow and see if the vacuum leaks down indication a hole. The engine vacuum might not be able to keep up with demand and the valve slowly closes. I just don't know. I really don't want to pull that tank again. It's like wrestling Moby Dick!

Pictures!!!

15. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    Might just be time for new petcock parts Jim. I had the one on my VTR just decide to stick open, yet when pulled apart it looked perfect inside, but there is a very tiny vent hole that had clogged so air pressure was unable to re-enter the vacuum chamber to allow it to close.

Are you sure you didn't have a clogged tank vent after the painting? Same symptoms as the petcock being shut.

16. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    Wow, what a great idea! I'll check. Thanks.

17. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    Kinda like this?
    e9db70afb2db4282b4ceee1956790d9c[1].jpg

mello dude likes this.
  18. OZ VFR

OZ VFR Member

Australia
    Map
    Now that's what I'm talking about.
    Yours looks good as well Big Jim. I specially like the white.

19. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    Jim, if you're in the path of the hurricane I hope you and your family stay safe. Looks like a big one (pun intended!).

20. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    No hurricane here but south Texas is getting pounded. All we have gotten up here is a little rain.