I Got A Big One

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by Big_Jim59, Jun 30, 2017.

1. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    Bubba - that is awesome! Is it yours? - -Off and on, I look for one of these, for a cafe job.... MBD continues...

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
  2. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    Not mine, I really liked it as well. An inline 1000cc café bike looks great. I pulled it off google images when someone mentioned to turn it into a café racer.

3. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    That was a good call on the tank venting. I did a little experimenting. I pulled the tank (groan!) And I set the thing up on a work table. I attached my hand vacuum pump to the petcock and I ran a line of clear fuel line from the tank to a gas catch can. I put the petcock on reserve and gave the vacuum pump a faint squeeze. Gas poured down the tube and never stopped. The vacuum held with no leaking down. The next thing I did was cap the tank vent. The gas flowed for about 5 seconds, gasp and began trying to bubble chug back out the clear line. It looked like a soda bottle being poured out. I then blew compressed air through the tank vent hose on the bike to make sure it was clear. I reassembled everything paying close attention to the vent hose routing. It is actually kind of hard to get it pressed on the spigot with the small amount of available room. I can see how the line got pinched.

To make a long story short, it seems to have fixed the problem. I had to go up to town for some supplies from the hardware store for an unrelated project. I took the bike and put about 10 miles on it riding at posted speeds and maybe a little beyond. It never once ran out of gas and this is about three times longer than my tests rides of yesterday. I am pretty sure the vent line was pinched. I will have to put a few more miles on it before I call it fixed.

Terry Smith likes this.