I GRADUATED!

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by DaHose, Sep 24, 2017.

1. DaHose

DaHose New Member

United States
    Map
    Hey people,

Today I got some good news I just have to share. For the past 2 1/2 years I have been working on my masters degree, and my instructor just posted the grade for the last course in my program.

So I have now earned my masters of science in psychology, with a specialization in educational psychology.

Jose

2. mikeolyle

mikeolyle New Member

United States
    Congrats!

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

3. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    Congratulations Jose!

4. cat0020

cat0020 Trumper

United States
    Map
    Congrats!

Now get ready for CE credits that cost $500-800 annually, Certification renewal of $500-2000 every 4-6 yrs.

How much student loan did you manage to accumulate?

Oh and the alumni association is going to hit you up regularly for donations, too.

Gotta love for-profit education.

5. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    Congrats! Now you can tell us what's wrong with all the crazies here... Starting with me...

6. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    congrats. I'm right behind you. I have 3 of the 5 tasks for my capstone completed and passed. Can't wait to be done. Mine is MBA.

A.M likes this.
  7. VFR4Lee

VFR4Lee Member

United States
    Map
    Congrats!
    I knew there was a reason I stopped with a BS degree.
    Tired of school. :Crazy:

8. faran

faran New Member

United States
    Congrats, that's awesome!

9. GatorGreg

GatorGreg Honda Fanboy/LitiGator

United States
    Map
    Good job - congrats!

10. RllwJoe

RllwJoe Insider

United States
    Map
    Way to go! Now pay off your student loan as fast as possible.

11. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    You go get em DaHose. It would have been nice to go to University to further my education. I could have done that while serving int he RCMP by correspondence and they would have paid for it. But I don'[t have the study skills to carry through with that. That lack of skill dogged me through the RCMP college and any subsequent course I took but I managed to survive.

BTW. There are papers filed somewhere that confirms I am not nuts.

12. DaHose

DaHose New Member

United States
    Map
    Hey folks,

Thanks for all the well wishes, and you GO GET EM REG!!!

Investing in your education is never a bad idea. Before I even started my program, I already looked at what I would like to do, and positions I can move to with the degree, and later with teaching experience. Two to three years of the increased income will pay for what my education cost me, but feeling like you have improved yourself and grown as a person is worth far more than money. If you look at all the research out there that digs into what makes people happy, it's about experiences not money. As motorcyclists we live that ethos, and I am so very excited about what could be in store for me next.

Jose

A.M likes this.
  13. cat0020

cat0020 Trumper

United States
    Map
    Some education have simply turned into scams to have students that pay over and over and over just to keep their certifications.

Reality is, I learned more about experience from spending time and volunteering at the homeless/veteran shelter/boys/girls clubs than most college I've attended or visited.

It's sad that we have to spend money to make money. Human is the only species that have to pay to live on this planet.

14. DaHose

DaHose New Member

United States
    Map
    Cat0020 - I work in public education (community college), and a number of our classes (welding, machining, nursing) lead straight to jobs. The welding classes can result in employment literally after just 1 class. That is actually a challenge, as getting students to complete their AA is tough, when the call of employment pulls them away.

More importantly, our students use us as a launching point to go to top tier schools (UCLA, Berkeley, UC Davis, Stanford). Getting to see them succeed in their goals feels great, and reinforces that I am in an industry that dramatically impacts, and improves lives.

Education is about empowering the individual, by working with their interests and skills. If that was not your experience, then I feel very sorry for you. I hope you can find somewhere to learn, that makes you feel empowered, instead of taken advantage of.

Jose

A.M and 34468 Randy like this.
  15. cat0020

cat0020 Trumper

United States
    Map
    I used to work in trade school, community college settings also.

The education sector that provide trade skills, job placement in "blue collar" careers, often do not require renewal of certification every few years.
    Often times, as long as you don't get DUI, or convicted of criminal charges, your certification in "blue collar" career doesn't even require renewal.

Sure it feels great to be accepted into top tier programs, but to attend top tier programs; you run up student loans.

My experience is that higher education tuition are over inflated, teaching staff are not paid in same rate as the tuition inflation, education level is not in direct ratio of tuition increase, but student loan just keeps going up and job prospects are not all they ever advertised to be.

I'm just glad that I never had a student loan, able to work my way though college and beyond for my personal advancement.
    Now I happily working in a career that have little to do with what I studied in college.

16. DaHose

DaHose New Member

United States
    Map
    Actually, a pretty large number of "blue collar" professions do require ongoing re-certification, from nursing, to police work, to construction. Mostly it's to do with new standards or regulations. What is very cool about careers like welding, is that as each big project launches, any standards for welding are built into the larger proposal and training/certification is part of the hiring process, where that critical new standard might be applied. There is certainly great personal advantage to being a lifelong learner with a growth based mindset, no matter what you choose to do for a living. That is what we commonly talk about with the old "practice makes perfect" axiom. It's about constant improvement, not just getting to a certain point and thinking "that's good enough". That leads to another axiom about "resting on your laurels".

It definitely would have been great not to take out loans, but I grew up poor, and didn't have anyone to provide for me. Working full time and studying was not something I could do when I was younger, but that's just how it was for me. I also work in a career that might seem unrelated to my undergraduate degree, but everything I learned throughout my undergraduate educational journey helped me become a better thinker and has definitely been invaluable to my long term success. Even as a custodial worker when I was young, my boss appreciated the positive comments he would hear from clients who interacted directly with me. Matter of fact, more than one employer has commented that it wasn't my skills that set me apart from others and got me hired, but instead it was that I had an attitude you can't teach. That lifelong learner, mastery based mindset has resulted in one successful career step to another, and I don't regret my educational path at all. That educational path IS what led to this particular brand of "success" that I call my own. I think that is really what it's all about anyway. Creating your own version of success. What that looks like is entirely up to you.

Jose

17. cat0020

cat0020 Trumper

United States
    Map
    I meet large number of "blue collar" workers in my daily operation.

For people who are barely supporting their families with slightly above living waiges; license, certification, permit renewal every few years are simply cutting into their budget for healthcare, rent or even food.

Harsh reality I've encountered has been, often the college graduates don't even realize how much of a burden a student loan can be before they get themselves in too deep with other debts.

Best of luck with you degree and career, may you fulfill your dreams within your needs.

18. A.M

A.M Moderator Staff Member

Congratulations, albeit late...!!!!

That's no easy task. I had gone down that path and graduated last May. Have you made any job changes because of it?

My continuing education will help me fulfill my teaching requirement license for a while since I'm up for renewal next year. As mentioned a bit ,unfortunately licensed work like education and medical fields require continuing education, paid for by the individual, to receive continued licensure. Paying to work sucks, but it's what I chose to do.

I have entertained the thought of earning a doctorate degree but...after this crazy year in the classroom I'm reconsidering.

If you need to put that master degree to work, come on down to Doodah and you can practice on me...riding therapy?!

What lies ahead for you now? After Doodah therapy? ;)

19. DaHose

DaHose New Member

United States
    Map
    Hey there A.M.

Yes, the job changes happened right away. I am already teaching one PE course this term (Jeet Kune Do), and am working on picking up a psychology course. The longer term plan is to teach some in-person psych. courses, then do a couple online to have production experience in all the different environments.

I am actively looking around for administrative positions at other colleges that will let me use my combined backgrounds (IT, and educational psych.) to help grow instructional/institutional technology in ways that improve instructional delivery. I have learned over many years in my field, that asking dedicated academics to fully understand and evolve technology at an infrastructure level is a big ask. Our industry needs a new type of administrative role/professional that is expert at that specific area, and that is where I see myself fitting in. It's all about helping students prepare for next generation industry, by providing them the BEST technology resources in the classroom.

Jose

A.M likes this.