Intoducing myself and have a bit of a clutch problem

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by EX-Wife'sChew-Toy, May 31, 2018.

1. EX-Wife'sChew-Toy

EX-Wife'sChew-Toy New Member

United States
    Map
    Hello
    Name is Joel. I live in Minnesota, and recently bought a 2005 Honda VFR800 with 7kmiles. I have done all maintenance and some upgrades. I recently opened up the clutch to take a look as I wanted to add some stiffer springs and was trying to see if there were any worn parts. My tranny is a bit clunky in first and second gear. More so if I am driving slow and shifting early in the rpm range. I opened up the clutch and found all were within specs. I lightly scuffed up the steel plates. Put it all back together with green Barrett 82lb springs. I like the feel of them better and sometimes take off hard from a stop and noticed that it would slip a bit, so figured heavier duty springs would help some.
    Took a test drive and It was fine for 15 miles or so in town with stop and go. Then got on the freeway and after a few miles at 80 or so I smelled some burning rubber. Only lasted for a second and wasn't sure if it was from my bike or another car. Was almost to my exit so I kept driving....shifting was fine. I was paranoid that the burning smell was from the clutch.

Here is what I did to the clutch.
    1. removed cover. Gasket intact.
    2. removed springs criss cross style - one full turn each until out.
    3. removed all the discs and plates.
    4. soaked the discs in oil until I got done scuffing up the steel plates....used steel wool and then cleaned them thoroughly.
    5. Put first disc in and verified that it sat above the friction spring and seat....never pulled them out.
    6. Put on the first of many steel plates with sharp edge towards me.
    7. Alternated the other discs with plates.
    8 put on the odd-ball clutch disc that has a slightly wider corked area...very subtle difference but it is obvious if you are watching for it. It went in the shallow slot.
    9. Put the pressure plate on.
    10. put in each spring two full turns and then criss-crossed them one full turn each until set and then torqued them to 9ft lbs.
    11. put cover back on...tightened bolts to 12lbs each....made up that number seemed snug.
    started bike. pulled in clutch bike went into first gear easily....clutch slipped for a split second or two when I released clutch, but I figured that was it just sticking because of install.
    12. drove around the neighborhood fine so I put the plastics back on and went for a drive.

I also just put on a new chain and both sprockets and used Honda chain lube before the ride. I did find a lot of chain grease thrown all around the swing arm, shock, etc. I guess that would explain the burning smell.

Hope you guys can help.
    thanks
    Joel

Last edited: May 31, 2018
  2. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    We told you not to mess with it, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". :)

Actually I wouldn't even hazard a guess at this point. I can't say anything because I've never had
    mine apart, so I'm not sure if your install is correct. Maybe somebody will chime in with some
    advice, but, for me anyway, it's hard to visualize a problem from someone's explanation. You may
    need to have an guy that's had one apart take a look. He may notice something very obvious that
    you might have overlooked.

Stop back and keep us updated.

3. EX-Wife'sChew-Toy

United States
    Map
    I am gonna ride it again after I get all the grease off of it..........I actually like the way it is now with the stiffer springs. I love the " I told you so". I am not bothered at this point, I am quite sure with the amount of white lithium grease that I found all over the lower part of the bike that it was near impossible for some not to have landed on the midpipe. Lots of big gobs too not just small amounts. I guess these things are full of grease when new.

thanks for answering
    Joel

Last edited: May 31, 2018
  4. EX-Wife'sChew-Toy

United States
    Map
    Just took the bike out for 20 miles on multiple highways. No smell, shifts great up and down......must have been the grease.
    thanks
    Joel

5. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    It was meant in jest, not a mean "I told you so", but kind of elbow nudge in the ribs. Please don't take
    offense, I really meant none. :Peace:

Glad to hear it seems to working out okay.

6. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Who in thier right mind would put lithium grease on a bike and where...and for what reason?

7. EX-Wife'sChew-Toy

United States
    Map
    I can take it buddy.....you dish it out and I will ask for more!
    thanks
    Joel

8. EX-Wife'sChew-Toy

United States
    Map
    I am no grease expert so I mis-spoke with lithium grease.......it is white grease and it came on my x-ring chain and I added more from the packet to the Master link. I then sprayed the chain with Honda Chain lube - which was over-kill. I don't have chain wax or I would have used it.
    thanks
    Joel

9. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    OK. I understand now. Carry on as if I was normal

VFR4Lee likes this.
  10. EX-Wife'sChew-Toy

United States
    Map
    I really wouldn't be interested in this site if people were normal. They don't know how to fix #@$%.
    Thanks
    Joel

34468 Randy likes this.
  11. EX-Wife'sChew-Toy

United States
    Map
    AFter a long ride this morning I am convinced that everything is just fine with the bike. Got a little nervous with the burnt smell but as another member pointed out there is not much chance I was smelling anything on my bike at 80mph. Must have been from another vehicle.

thanks....I couldn't do these " "unnecessary" repairs without your support.

Joel

12. Darth Vader

Darth Vader New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    You said you smelt burnt rubber ? The clutch doesnt contain rubber so must of been some crazy drunk driver smoking his tyres. We all get paranoid about our bikes but it sounds like yours is fine.

13. EX-Wife'sChew-Toy

United States
    Map
    Yes I know I was paranoid as it was my first clutch but at 80mph and an overwhelming smell hitting me I couldn't help but feel that I had screwed it up.

I have put about 100 plus miles on it...mostly town driving, so I consider it fixed.

thanks for your reply.
    Joel