is it possible to adjust clutch bite point? 5th gen VFR800

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by viffviff, Apr 6, 2014.

1. viffviff

viffviff New Member

Sweden
    Map
    Hi, I've just got a shiny new (for me) VFR800 (1999). The clutch bite point is very near the fully released position of the clutch lever. Is it possible to adjust the bike point back a bit (so it bites earlier as the clutch lever is let out), or is my clutch on the way out? The clutch doesn't seem to slip under load, but haven't really tested it with a good hammering yet. Many thanks

2. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Bleed the line and then use the lever adjustment wheel to bring the "engagement" point closer/further from the hand grip. As far as I know that's the only adjustability that's available.

Cheers

3. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    When's the last time you changed out the brake fluid? Possible the master cylinder's on the way out.

4. tcooper27

tcooper27 New Member

I had issues with my clutch engaging only at the very end like that. I rebuilt the master and slave before I pulled the clutch cover and found some aftermarket discs in there and the steel plates all burned dark blue. I swapped in new oem discs and plates and put in EBC springs and it's great now. It engages earlier and there's a nice wide, usable "friction zone".

5. kennybobby

kennybobby New Member

United States
    Heart of Dixie Georgia Boys mighta been usin' dat
    Map
    Your return orifice in the master reservoir is clogged. Tiny hole under the shiny metal plate in the bottom of the reservoir--clean out the spooge and the engagement point will move back to normal (closer to the bar). The engagement point is determined by the hydraulics and is not adjustable, but some levers have adjustments.

6. viffviff

viffviff New Member

Sweden
    Map
    Ventured into the garage this morning. and just given the return orifice a clean. Have only tried the clutch with the bike on the stand (it's pouring with rain outside - UK in April!) and it is so much better now. A big thank you for all the advice.

7. TNRabbit

TNRabbit New Member

Map
    I bled mine out yesterday & the bleeder was so badly corroded nothing would come out. I pulled it & clean/wired out the bleeder hole underneath, too as it was plugged with gunk. Works like a champ now.

Lint likes this.
  8. Boosh63

Boosh63 Member

Canada
    Map
    I just had my bike dealer serviced and it exhibits this characteristic. Could they have serviced the clutch without cleaning that orifice?

9. MotoMax

MotoMax New Member

United States
    Map
    Where do you bleed the clutch? and what is the best way to clean out that tiny orifice? Thanks for the intel. My clutch is releasing at the very very end too. It does have 40k on it though so I thought it was time for a new clutch and springs. I swapped out the fluid in the reservoir but did not clean that orifice. . .