Is the new VFR 1200 selling?

Discussion in '7th Generation 2010-Present' started by runnerhiker, May 9, 2010.

?

Will you buy or consider buying the VFR1200?

1. I already bought one

13.8%
  2. I would consider buying one

36.2%
  3. I will NOT consider buying one

50.0%
  1. Grayghost98

Grayghost98 New Member

I'm sure Honda reads this, so here goes:

I would only consider the present VFR1200 if it included the centrestand, luggage and heated grips with a $1000 lower price than the base, stripped model...so $14999 out the door with all the previously mentioned options.

The style would grow on me, as would its porky curb weight. The present pricing is way too high...aspirational pricing, you could say. One other thing: for that price we should get 2-3 years warranty!

2. havcar

havcar New Member

Map
    ^^^ Good point, Ghost. At European machine pricing wouldn't it be reasonable to expect European warranties?

3. Cyborg

Cyborg New Member

United States
    You limeies go right ahead and pay too much for too little, we'll stick with more bang for the buck...

PS: My mom's Liverpool, born and raised, so I can bloody well say Limey all I wish! :whistle:

4. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    Anyone read Cycle World's sport-tour comparison? VFR1200F was fourth out of four bikes tested. No BMWs in the test.

5. alang

alang New Member

Map
    Of course I would buy one; I just did!

After demo riding one and getting a $3000+ discount, I bought bike #29 for me:
    A new VFR1200. Not sporty like my 08 CBR1000, and it's no Gold Wing either.
    Looks a bit strange; but I like it. Almost at comfortable as my Multistrada 1200, but without the FI glitches and snob duc dealers. The dealership was really good;
    maybe it's a good thing these things are not selling very well.

6. dogFM

dogFM New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Ha ha

Nope, anyone take any notice of these mg muppets anymore???:wink:

7. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
  8. dogFM

dogFM New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    A muppet

worth reading :cool:

9. Seemedo

Seemedo New Member

Map
    The reasons I bought one is because well it's a Honda, has ABS which could come in handy riding in the afternoon thunderstorms, I like the way the bike looks forgiving the exhaust which doesn't look so bad now, it fits my 5'8.5" fat busted up body perfectly, it's light well lighter then my soon to be departed HD, Truiumph dealer is 125 miles from my house, first ride felt like I was on a dirt bike meaning the way it just feels balanced and narrow which I think allows me to be flat footed when standing. I got mine used which saved a lot of beer money. Biggest thing that is hurting the 1200VFR is that all the other big 09 & 10 bikes are being discounted more then the VFR and Honda lovers are not used to seeing $15,999 0r $17,999 price tags hanging on new Hondas

Why do you see used 1200VFRs? Some where thinking more towards touring and comfort then decided the 1200VVFR didn't fit the bill or have never ridden a high performance bike before, scarred them a little.

Jeff,

ride dont whine

10. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    That's crazy that there are already used ones on the market. I hate to think about what kind of depreciation that early adopter had to eat when he sold to you...

Oh well. I appreciate that lots of people do change bikes frequently. Makes riding motorcycles affordable for the rest of us.

11. interceptorrider

interceptorrider New Member

I paid $9999 for my 402 mile "used" VFR1200. I wouldn't have considered for retail.

Mark

12. omnivious

omnivious New Member

I don't really think the 1200 should be called a vfr, what makes it a viffer? why didn't they just name it something else? I think honda just shet it out from the failure of their dn-01, but why put the viffer name on it and drag it through that? maybe it's just me but I can't see too many viffer riders switching to the 7th gen, personally I would buy another brand before I buy the 7 gen vfr. I love my 07 but there are no similarities between the 6th and 7th gen bikes to me...

13. Mortrude

Mortrude New Member

Bought one - the DCT - I love it!

14. ZenMoto

ZenMoto New Member

United States
    Map
    I don't know about that Omni. ...I had a '96 VFR, which I sold with about 120k miles on it (running like a Swiss watch), then a '99 which I sold with a paltry 50k on it (never bonded with that bike, it was bought used and the suspension was CRAP). Now I'm breaking in the '10 and it feels just a like a VFR to me. A little (and I mean just a hair) slower transitioning from side to side than my older Viffers, and on sharp canyon roads (1st or 2nd gear turns) you do feel the extra weight in the turns. Otherwise she handles like she's on rails, and once you're at 6k on the tach it lunges down the road with a with an immediacy that the previous VFRs could only dream of. ...except, of course, those lucky dogs with a Torocharger. :)

I'm sure it's mainly due to the horrible suspension on my 5th gen, and my unwillingness to dump another grand or so getting that sorted out, but the '10 gives me a much closer level of confidence in handling to my 4th gen than the '99 did. And of the 3, it's the only one that I regularly have people stop to tell me that it is a "beautiful bike".

I realize it's a polarizing design, and the weight will turn a few away, but it really does feel like a VFR to me.

All that said, the suspension is still disappointing for the money (I paid less than $15k otd with bags). When I sell my KTM 950 Adventure I will probably spend a small chunk at Jim Lindemann's shop anyway. The fueling feels a bit lean on the bottom end, and there is a small flat-spot around 4k. Perhaps Power Commander will release a new version soon that will allow us to tune that out.

All in all it's a fantastic bike, and I don't regret the purchase one iota!

I'm a V4 fanatic and starting with my shiny new Magna Deluxe back in 1995 through today I have roughly 300,000 miles on Honda V4s and this one deserves the name VFR in my book!

...just my $.02

15. Seemedo

Seemedo New Member

Map
    I considered the DCT but I missed a really good used one but I like to shift and clutch but I would never say anything bad about the DCT because I'm sure it's a great ride too. I have not read anything bad about it or the shifter 1200VFR except that it's not a sport bike but I don't think Honda is saying that it is the end all full sport bike. I will know more after Saturday's ride I'm going on my normal give or take a few miles 250 mile ride, can't wait I will post afterwards.

Jeff

ride don't whine

16. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I have ridden 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th gen VFRs. the 7th gen does feel like a VFR to me. The balance and weight make a natural fit for someone who is used to a VFR. Think of the VFR nomenclature as VeeFouR instead of VeeFourRace and it gets easier. The same things were said on every transition year. Would I get one? Prob not for a while, but it wasn't aimed at me, it was aimed at 40somethings that want something sporty, love V4s, and love Hondas. So maybe in a few years, I'll consider one. Hell, I think Honda made the past VFRs too good. Now we all get stuck on whichever model we have and get pissy if they change something. BTW, the 5th gen is still the best. :smile:

17. Richard Thompson

Richard Thompson New Member

Map
    Here in NZ the VFR 1200 is most certainly not selling very well, i know this because i have been trying to sell my used one for the best part of 12 months now. however i have noted that based on the price in the US and the deals being offered in Australia, they are waaayyyyy overpriced here. if i convert back to US$using the current FX rate it works out to $US 20,880. Infact since i bought mine the price has moved up $2000 NZ!
    They are obviously dreaming here if they think that this bike is going to sell at that price, and really it still hasn't helped my used one sell.

18. Badbilly

United States

LOL! I'm wondering who would call anything or anyone "omnivious" ?

19. NRESQ

NRESQ New Member

Uh, cause its got a V-4 engine?

20. Badbilly

United States

I think you may have something there. I'll run it by Crusty, just to be sure.