Is the the '09 R2 an Inline 4 or V4 ?

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by John451, Sep 16, 2008.

1. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    What do folks think, with its Moto GP V4 like firing order should the '09 R1 be connsidered an honorary v4, pale pretender or something inbetween ?

'09 R1 extract from Online Motorcycle News site:

" The really interesting feature incorporated into the new engine that will make the most news is the cross-plane crankshaft that completely changes the firing order from the traditional even 180 degree layout to a 270-180-90-180 degree firing order through the use of offset crankpins. This of course completely changes the exhaust note and feel of the engine. "

MCNews.com.au Linky:
    2009 Yamaha YZF-R1 unveiled in Vegas

Youtube Linky to 2009 R1 commercial: ( contains '09 R1 engine sounds )
    YouTube - 2009 Yamaha R1 commercial- Oliepeil.nl

[​IMG]

2. Lgn001

Lgn001 Member

United States
    Map
    Uuuh, inline V-type?

3. Richard Thompson

Richard Thompson New Member

Map
    That R1 prom clip rocks. great sound too!

an IL4 that drives & sounds like a V-sounds good to me.

4. vfr89

vfr89 New Member

in line 4...and sounds very similar to our vfrs

5. SwiftTech

SwiftTech New Member

In the pic you can see 3 of the 4 header pipes so it has to be inline.

6. Action

Action New Member

United States
    Map
    One of the guys at work is an R1 nut. He's going to wait a few months to see if there are any glaring faults (like the fueling on the FZ1 when it first came out) before buying one. When he does I've already called dibs on a ride. I like the theory of a big bang (like) firing order on an IL4. I'm going to reserve judgment until I can actually sneak a ride on one. As far as looks - that black with a hint of red and the red/white colors are KILLER.

Action

7. Superceptor02

Superceptor02 New Member

What is the horsepower on the R1? Does it change up the power delivery a lot?

8. deepdish

deepdish Banned

purgatory.........................................
    not sure never seen the 09 r2 guess it will be out in 2109................

9. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Probably a hell of a good bike and engine. 180 degree cranks go back to the days of the Ford Model T. Done up well in Ford flathead V8's too with the Norden 180 crank.

Saw an "A Altered" early slingshot type fueler in a museum that was powered by a 59 A block (Mercury) with an Norden crank and Ardun heads. Ardun heads were designed by Zora Arkus Duntov of Corvette fame. They had rigged this engine to fire two cylinders at a time.

10. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Great motor idea wondered why Honda didn't jump on this being they are all about motor stuff, Mhee on the bike, kinda a weird looking beast not enough soul comes across that and IMO more like a wild cartoon character, still a great motor, gots to hand it to Yamaha for working it...

Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
  11. havcar

havcar New Member

Map
    I test rode an '09 last summer with akropovich slip-ons. In person it didn't sound anything like a V4. It didn't sound like an inline either. Power delivery was somewhere between an inline and a V4 also. I wasn't particularly impressed with it. I think a lot of it had to do with some very funky throttle responses. With both the normal and track fuel delivery maps, the on to off to on again throttle was vey jumpy. It felt like, even with smooth throttle operation, the bike wanted to jump out from under me, as if the throttle was cracked when in reality it was barely open. Not nearly as smooth as you'd expect from a V4 or a bike with three differant mapping choices.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
  12. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    Ok it doesn't sound like the VFRs V4 but I ride with a guy with the '09 R1 he bought in May with a full Akro system with carbon cans. My ear plugs out the best was hearing him come up behind me through my favourite close by twisties accelerate around me on a short downhill straight go into underrun into a 15mph corner then accelerate out uphill with me trying keep with his sound as long I could, it sounds pretty hot and not far removed from to Rossis GP bike. I love hearing it wind up our nearby mountain twisties when its ridden with purpose and is way better sounding than the Akro equipped '09 IL4 'blade that he regularly spars with although think my own VFRs "real" v4 is best. :cool:

'09 R1 Akro Arse
    [​IMG]

'09 'blade & '09 R1
    [​IMG]

13. havcar

havcar New Member

Map
    ^^^^ I totaly agree, they sound good, just not true V4 good. They definately sound meaner than a Fireblade, but for me that's where the R1's advantages ended. I rode all of the '09 Japanese litres last summer, except the ZX-10 (never been a fan), thinking I might buy one. I didn't, but had I, it would have been the CBR hands down. Not because I feel any great loyalty to Honda, but because it was just a solidly built, very refined, and an extraordinarly precise beast of a sportbike. I couldn't find a weak point anywhere in the tach over 2000rpm. The Yamaha was good too, if slightly underpowered compared to the CBR, but that twitchy throttle ended it for me. My bet is that Yamaha gets enough feedback on that glaring issue to make a fix and turn out a more accurate and responsive throttle for 2010.

14. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    Its a funny thing out of the last 3 friends that have bought Sports bikes one has bought the '9 R1 another the '09 'blade and most recent another the GSXR1000K9. The guy withe the R1 had a Gen 5 before buying a Superblackbird in '04 the reason he bought the R1 is it was the most interesting to ride my reading is Ducati like but with Japanese reliability. I guess he missed the VFRs v4 character when going from the Gen 5 to BB and often remarks the R1 even with its fueling is not only much more entertaining to ride it's also more comfortable over long (650+ mile per day) distances than his now much neglected BB.

The guy with the 'blade is somewhat of a motorcycle perfectionist with the most perfect Gen 6 I've seen to date. After he traded to the 'blade considered the best Superbike out of the box he still wasn't 100% happy so upgraded the suspension to Ohlins Forks and rear shock not long after buying it and loves its faultless holistic precision if not its long distance comfort.

15. havcar

havcar New Member

Map
    If I were to get another litre bike, other than the RSV4, your friends set-up is exactly what I would want. It's good to hear that he likes it. Then again, in a world with too few V4's, if Yamaha does manage to work out a few quirks, then the inline/V4 hybrid R1 may very well be a great compromise to spending $25,000 on the real deal and high maintenance Aprilia.

16. Chris71Mach1

Chris71Mach1 Insider

United States
    Map
    it really is a sad day, cause ppl here are right....despite its obvious I4 configuration, the YZF-M1 based motors in the 2009+ R1's really do sound more like a V4 than even the 2010 VFR. I instantly fell in love with the exhaust tone on the new R1 motor, where I was turned off just as quickly the first time I heard a 2010 VFR crank up, realizing it sounds just like any other lame-ass cookie cutter I4 out there.

Honda really needs to fix this, cause before they completely screwed the pooch with this 2010 bike, I had wanted to be first in line for one...now I'd just rather stick with a 6th gen when the time finally comes.

17. VIFFER RIDER

VIFFER RIDER New Member

United States
    Map
    Its a inline 4 with a 270 degree uneven firing pattern. Id have to say the R1 sounded slightly better then my VFR V4. Its very close but i like that R1 sound, i sure miss my bumble bee :(

[​IMG]