Is this milage too low?

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by headshrink, Mar 28, 2018.

1. headshrink

headshrink New Member

United States
    I'm looking at a 2014 with under 4K miles. On one hand that looks really attractive being barely broken in, but on the other hand I'm wondering why it doesn't have more mileage. Could this indicate a problem? Thoughts?

2. RllwJoe

RllwJoe Insider

United States
    Map
    You may still be able to find a brand new '14 with zero miles on it at a Honda dealership near you. So, it may not have seen many seasons yet.

3. Vulcanator

Vulcanator New Member

United States
    I bought my 2014 last January with 1800 miles on it. Made in 2014, sold in 2016, traded in for a Ducati in July 2017, purchased by me. I've put 1000 miles on mine with no issues, just replaced all the fluids to baseline my maintenance schedule. I suspect the bike you're looking at wasn't sold in 2014. Considering most bikes are bought for pleasure and used mainly in the summer months may explain the low milage. You can still buy these bikes for about $8000 brand new, so don't overpay for it if you decide to buy it.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
  4. OOTV

OOTV Insider

My 09, which I bought in 2011, only had 346 miles on it. I questioned the salesman with just about every question of why it had so little miles on it. Turned out the guy who bought it and then traded it in, didn’t like it as much as his previous 6 Gen (different VTEC engagement point) so he rode it lot less than he planned on. Sometimes people buy something with the greatest intentions but ultimately don’t live up to them.

Bubba Utah likes this.
  5. headshrink

headshrink New Member

United States
    Thanks for the replies. I'm in California, so bikes go for a premium here due in part to our 12 month season. The bike in question has all the bags too, so that is certainly a plus. I haven't seen an Interceptor at the dealer by me since Honda axed it in the US, but even if I got them to deliver one from a partner dealership I'm pretty sour on all the extra "fees" they add.

Bubba Utah likes this.
  6. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    May I ask if you are looking at a bike at a dealership or an individual? You can ask to find the original owners name in Utah if looking at one at a dealer, but some states may not or the dealer policy will not let you. Like someone said bikes are fickle to some. If they buy it on a whim and they do not research or ride the bike prior to purchase like some dealers will not do. They may find the bike is simply just not for them. Even if you are at a dealership, get the keys and open the seat up to see if there is a registration card with the other owners name and address, take a quick picture and see if you can contact them about the bike. I did this with a used car I was going to buy years ago before Carfax. The women was a little upset that I found her name but I did find out it had been wrecked hence the lower price.

Obviously if from an individual, you just have to be that person to ask the right questions and feel the response that you get. Is there a Bikefax? Maybe that is something for someone to start so you can see the history of the bike in question in the future if not now available. But life is life- divorce, job loss etc. Mine has 5,600 miles and if it came down to my mortgage or the bike, I would sell the car!;-)

Lint likes this.
  7. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map

How much are they asking for it if I may ask? With luggage that is another $900 plus add on.

8. headshrink

headshrink New Member

United States
    Individual. First asking was 8.9k

9. Vulcanator

Vulcanator New Member

United States
    I would show him some Cycletrader listings for new bikes and knock him down on the price. The genuine Honda luggage is a big plus though. Good luck.

10. Zeta

Zeta New Member

United States
    I bought a 2014 Dlx with ~4800 miles off Cycle trader from dealer in McKinney Tx for $6200 if that gives you any indications.....Offer trade in bluebook or a couple hundred more, then factor in luggage.

11. headshrink

headshrink New Member

United States
    Just talked with the guy. Add said single owner with clean title, but he told me he bought it to flip (older guy). Said original owner raced bikes, but bought this in 2014 as a cruiser, until injured in a car accident. Said bike sat for a couple years, and he's had it a couple months. He was really disappointed with my offer of 7.9k, and will call me back with answer. I can tell he doesn't REALLY know the bike, but says it's in "pristine" condition and fires right up. One thing I didn't mention, and wasn't in add, I can tell by the pictures it's a DLX model, which makes the premium easier to stomach.

I'm looking for all these supper cheap deals you guys are mentioning, but I can't find anything like that in CA.

12. Brian Boyer

Brian Boyer New Member

United States
    Map
    I really doubt you will regret the purchase regardless of the negotiations

13. headshrink

headshrink New Member

United States
    That's what I'm banking on, because I really can't afford it right now, but want to sell my current bike while I still can. :/

14. Vulcanator

Vulcanator New Member

United States
    I paid $6200 with title fees, mine was the base model. The DLX will command a bit more coin.

15. headshrink

headshrink New Member

United States
    It kills me that I paid more than that after fees for my CBR500r (Costco Negotiated price). Such is life at MC stealers in Cali.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
  16. Vulcanator

Vulcanator New Member

United States
    There's a reason I said goodbye to California 16 years ago. Good luck getting that bike at a good price.

17. headshrink

headshrink New Member

United States
    I hear you. Unfortunately I'm tied to CA by family and professional license. We have great riding though, and I get a leisurely ride into work every day. It usually takes only 20 minutes, but I have been known to turn the opposite direction in the morning and do 100 miles in the Sierra Nevadas before arriving at my office :)

OOTV likes this.
  18. headshrink

headshrink New Member

United States
    We agreed on 8K (since he's flipping it, I wonder what he payed). 8K was actually my target, so we're both happy.

He's a nice older man who doesn't ride himself. I just spoke to him and he said the title was transferred to him, but he later got a nasty-gram from the DMV because he didn't insure it. Said when he followed-up he explained the situation and they gave it a different status - "like a non-op, but not a non-op." I'm not sure what that would be. Could this make registering to me more difficult? He said he'd call them and ask in the morning, and also wanted to make sure I had insurance to take it home. I kind of want to adopt him as a new grandpa.

19. Zeta

Zeta New Member

United States
    7.9k is a very generous offer from you for a 2 owner bike. If it has all honda bags including honda top case and you planned on adding those on the bike then you would have had to spend at least $1500 maybe more, so you are offering ~ trade in value plus close to retail for the bags. Even going up to full price you have a very nice sport tourer that would be hard to touch for that kind of money especially if you plan to keep her for many years. If you don't want or need the luggage, tell him. BTW probably gonna need new tires soon, may need to factor that in, if he will shod new tires of your choice (and I would want so very good ones) I would pay 8.9 and never look back. If this is the bike you want, buy it and ride it till the wheels fall off and you will have gotten every penny out of it. I have a feeling he will counter offer and you probably can grab it for <8.5 and everyone walks away happy. The VFR is truly a great motorcycle and having the ability to hit the mountains and ride 12 months a year only makes her better and I would gladly pay a heavy premium for that privilege.

Bubba Utah likes this.
  20. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    Condition: New
    Year: 2015
    Make: Honda
    Model: Interceptor
    Category: Sportbike
    Type: Motorcycle
    Mileage: 2
    Stock Number: D00004
    Primary Color: White
    View On The Dealer's Website

I found this on cycle trader tonight. If you want a new one this could be it. I am sure you get that price down by a $1000-$1500 or more being 3 yrs old and not on the top of anyone's (AKA younger buyers 18-25 list) unless you are a true fan. I mean they have sat on this for years or brought it in from another dealer in a trade. I would pop out an offer of $7,500. It is costing them taxes and/ or inventory cost sitting on the showroom floor that if sold they could bring in a more saleable bike.

Wisconsin dealers where selling the 2014F at $6,400 back in 2016. The Deluxe was $7900.They collaborated to purchase back stock. Two years vs. 3yrs in inventory is a big deal to dealerships. I bought mine for $7000 in 2016 seeing the Wisconsin prices and negotiated with the local dealer printing off the offers there, but being a "f" and not knowing about the Deluxe until later after getting on this site and going back to the Wisconsin dealers to see about the deluxe. My local dealer still wanted the $10,500 discounted from Honda put the $300 discount at the time as well. 1 hour later they took the invoice price $7300 and took the Honda rebate of 300 and settled on $7000. Come on a $10,999 bike invoiced at $7300 and freed up the cost of it sitting there.

I may be wrong, but I thought the 2015 was only offered outside the U.S. I thought the white was not offered in the U.S after 2014. Again, I could be wrong very easily. I personally would be wary of someone trying to flip a bike and let him stew another week or 2. I may even ask him to see if you could contact the original owner being that he really does not know the history of the bike. Being a racer (How old) , putting bags on a bike does not mean it was not tracked hard and punished but I doubt it. I hope that all service records are available. I also hope that you have inspected the bike and did not put down a non refundable down payment to hold if not. With full luggage all the way around and if it is the Deluxe not the F, and you asked that a dealer go over the bike at his expense off the purchase price. Personally at $8,000 and with the bags I would pass just because I am a kinda "I want to know personally how I fucked up my bike and don't trust others being maybe my last bike." Also a bike new under $3000 to $4000 under list is what I have always bought in my wiser years. Used in my youth and new in my dementia years.

P.S if I post my bike for sale don't buy it!;-)" A wrencher is my goal, but the learning process and practice is on my current bike so stay away from it, I will get some poor sucker not on the site!;-) Maybe your seller did as well.

Zeta likes this.