Isn't Chronic Pain Fun???

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by KC-10 FE, Dec 15, 2006.

1. R.W.

R.W. New Member

United States
    Map
    Damnnnn Jay, I remember the time you told me that story and feeling so bad a fellow rider had to experience such an awful accident :eek: Sure glad you decided to keep riding because the PNW wouldn't be same without you.

2. Ferris

Ferris New Member

Ditto what VaRoll said - if you are a good candidate for it, chiropractic therapy can make an amazing reduction in pain.

Hey man! Easy on the hippie lettuce! :pound:

3. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks guys, Yea crazy, got to know more myself about physical therapy than I care to, well it is a good thing, 1/2 hour every morning with stretches was doing the swim thing, I actually started to enjoy that, but then the insurance ran out. and then I'm like on a personal first name basis with my chiro, lucky me she's good looking too :) then to top it off the wiffie is pretty darn good with back rubs and getting to the right spot, did I mention the massage therapist..

4. Ken Larsen

Ken Larsen New Member

Chiropractic experience

After my fusion surgery I had to wait 6 months before I could go back to the Chiropractor. I have gone on a regular basis for the last 7-8 years. Unless something flares up I just go in for a weekly tune-up. I am a firm believer in chiropractics and as a matter of fact my doctor is a fellow rider and a very good doctor. My wife has also suffered with back pain from a car accident and also goes on a regular basis. My biggest test was the headaches associated with my surgery. if I can go as soon as the onset it really makes a difference.

5. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Yep get in, before she really flares up, I hear ya on that one.

6. freewheelburner

freewheelburner New Member

United States
    Ken, how would you rate your degree of normalsy ( if that is a word) after your fusion. I am currently at a crossroads with that decision. They did not do a fusion in the first op. just removed the disc. It has never felt solid since. I have lost all stability in my lower back and feel a disconnect of sorts with my upper and lower halves. I saw on Discovery where a guy with a fusion climbed Everest. I couln never carry that kind of weight in my current condition. Not really into another surgery but my condition seems to be getting worse the last year or so after a fall off a container a couple years ago. Something let loose and now it bothering me alot.

7. Ken Larsen

Ken Larsen New Member

chronic pain

The name of the disconnect feeling is a symptom of the injury, it is called lerneetz syndrome. it is actually a nerve condition associated with these types of injuries. I pondered the surgery myself for about six months and after a visit to my neuroligist, he referred me to a leading neurosurgeon and while visiting him he showed me my last cat scan and showed me the spot where my spinal cord was literally pinched between two vertibrae. He really worried me to the point that I was scared to leave the hospital and I think his concern was infact genuine. After meeting with him, I decided to have the procedure done and after about three months of recovery I was actually back up to about 70-80%. Come to find out that a friend of my family had a similar condition and decided to not have the surgery done and six months later dove into a swimming pool and just the resistance of entering the water abrased his spinal cord to the point that he is a quadrapalegic. The biggest thing that I noticed as far as getting back to normal is I lost some range of motion in my neck. Mostly up and down with some side to side. Not enough to be noticeable until I went to fold a load of towels from the wash and I could not hold the towel between my chin and my chest. I think the alternative is far worse than the minor issues I have noticed. My headaches have subsided to a manageable level. That was two years ago and I feel much better and most of the symptoms have disappeared. Occasionally I have that disconnect feeling in my nervous system due to minor swelling at the surgical point. After a week on steroids I am good for another 6 to 7 months. I cannot imagine suddenly becoming a quadrapalegic because I did not have what turned out to be a relatively simple surgery. I was in the hospital a day and the surgery took less than one hour. This last season I put the most miles on my VFR and with minimal pain. I do take something before I ride and normally I feel fine. I tried to ride before the surgery and It would literally leave me in pain for the entire next day. I would seriously consider the surgery and that advice comes from someone who had never had even as much as a stitch before this. Mine was the C3-C5 fusion and I guess this one is relatively simple I have a 2 inch scar at the base of my neck and the surgeon angled it to match the creases in my neck and you really cant tell. I also suffered with lower back issues when I was a heavy equipment mechanic and I have to believe that the surgery is ultimately going to preserve your lower back from further issues. Para or quadrapoligia does not bode well for motorcyclists! Good luck with your decision and I am sure you will do what is best for you,

8. freewheelburner

freewheelburner New Member

United States
    Geez! That was encouraging....LOL! Well I guess I never really thought of it that way. I am experiencing some instability in my lower back since the fall a couple years ago. I guess I broke loose whatever scar tissue or bone that was holding me together. I never thought of it giving way and injuring my spinal cord but the way I treat my body that might be a concern. Thanks for your input.

9. bear

bear New Member

Map
    You also have to remember that lower back is generally not going to paralyze you like the neck will. I had L5-S1 fused in 91. I still to this day have constant back pain, but it has become "normal" for me, so I tend to not really notice it anymore. When it gets bad, I start to limp. I do not usually notice the extra pain, but my body does, and compensates for it.
    I do however have a hard time getting into passenger side of the car. I will smack my head every time if I do not go slow and watch myself. Part of the "auto-self-preservation" is that I do not allow myself to bend enough to make it hurt. No problem on the bikes though. Just can't do the cruisers, they hurt.