It just arrived in my doorstep! Easter present from Jamie Daugherty!

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by JimFife777, Mar 30, 2018.

1. JimFife777

JimFife777 New Member

Map
    Lots of anticipation with this one, as the bike is way under sprung with just me on it. So now I'm looking over the bike and it does NOT look like an easy swap. At least not as easy as the gixxers.

What am I looking at as far as pitfalls? What tips you got for me or things to watch out for? [​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Jeff_Barrett and OOTV like this.
  2. Mind_Surfer

Mind_Surfer New Member

United States
    "That's a tight present."
    -Cameron Phillips

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

3. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

Kuwait
    Map
    On my 5G I was able to slip the shock in from below but I had to move the swingarm up and down a fair bit to do so. And for that reason I pulled the wheel off first and set the hub on a jack. If you worry about such things I'd suggest wrapping the shock in a plastic bag to prevent scuffing the spring paint.

4. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Yes a swing arm stand comes in handy big time plus help is a big plus to.
    OOTV helped me and has done it probably 5 times.
    Hope he chimes in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Somebody call? The biggest issue is the header gets in the way from it dropping straight down, particularly when the header has a catalytic converter. If you have a center stand that will help but ultimately you cannot use a rear stand to raise the bike but can use it to raise and lower the swingarm, having a jack would work just as well for that too though. Ultimately you need to raise the bike from the main frame, not the rear wheel.

The other part that can give you grief is the top mount as this has to thread through a hole slightly bigger than the bolt that goes through it. This is where having someone help comes in handy.

Essentially put the bike on the center stand (or whatever means you can) and remove the rear wheel. Remove the lower suspension links, the “dog-bone” and the triangle and remove the top mount nut (just behind the gas tank), the shock will want to slide down but will bind against the swingarm, this is where using the rear lift or jack will work for you. You’ll need to raise the swingarm to allow the shock to slide through the swingarm more. Once it drops down through the arm more, you can then wiggle it out as you lower the swingarm back down. It pretty much is self explanatory on how this works once you’re at it.

The installation is almost the reverse but this is where the top mount part gets tricky. The best way to do this is to put the top mount bolt on the shock but don’t torque it down, snug it up so that it stays put but can be moved so when trying to align it with the hole and get the shock aligned, the two should move independently. Again, having a helper here will make it easier to get the top bolt onto the bolt. Once that gets on then it’s a matter of torquing things down.

duccmann likes this.
  6. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    You are the MAN D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. JimFife777

JimFife777 New Member

Map
    Thanks. I have the center stand only, meaning no single sided rear stand. Hoping that will suffice. Jack, I have.

8. JimFife777

JimFife777 New Member

Map
    Thanks for the input guys, swapped out the shocks after work today. It is a completely new/different motorcycle! Only went around the block, but HUGE difference.

Old one was harder to get out than putting in the replacement. Especially with the hydraulic preload knob. I don't see those on all other same gen bikes. Maybe I'm just not paying good enough attention.

Regarding the pics below, is the dampening adjuster too close to the linkage bracket? Seems it would get closer when the suspension compresses.
    Also, nice to see a preload adjuster, but are there spanner wenches that can reach up there? Never had one before.[​IMG][​IMG]

9. VF1000Fe

VF1000Fe New Member

Canada
    [​IMG]

Mine arrived Friday, while out skiing (Bike all Summer, Ski all Winter).
    This one is for VF10000F #2.
    Makes a Huge Difference.
    The Original shock from the factory is Garbage.

I also had to find a PreLoad Tool.
    I got one of these direct from Honda.

10. JimFife777

JimFife777 New Member

Map
    Thanks for the link, no image though. If I can't get to the adjuster....

Can anyone confirm that the two adjusters on the reservoir are compression dampening and which is high speed and low speed?