Just finished my first clutch install... help

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Mason valenzuela, May 3, 2018.

1. Mason valenzuela

Mason valenzuela New Member

United States
    Hello all,

First off I have a 1999 vfr800 that I’m rebuilding. Bought it off craigslist for a penny and wanted a summer project. Anywho...

I Just finished my first clutch install, and she grips like a dream. However, just down the road after an encounter with orange county’s finest, I couldn’t start her up. (Let off with a warning for those of you wondering) Anyways I had to bump start to get back home, and she won’t start up via electronics anymore.

Symptoms:
    lights and controls dim to nothing when starter is pressed.
    2-3 struggling turn overs per starter button press.
    Higher pitch noise from the primary than usual... when starter button pressed.

Now I have two suspicions. 1) during the clutch job I just did, a gear popped out onto the floor. Upon online research I can assure you it is NOT the starter reduction gear, but it’s the one right next to it. (If you were to look at the clutch case it would go; clutch, starter clutch, gear I’m talking about, reduction gear. From left to right naturally) anyways, that bad boy popped out and the novice that I am I popped it back in where it fit. Is it possible that the fit was too snug and the starter is struggling to turn the engine over? orrrrrr 2) when removing the clutch primary cover, I had to remove the stater thing... and maybe I put it back wrong? I mean the lights on the bike turns on still and everything.

Thank you all,
    I look forward to any help!

2. OZ VFR

OZ VFR Member

Australia
    Map
    First off, you need to use a voltmeter to check your battery voltage.
    Not sure what the "starter thing" is, did you remove the primary gear?
    There's no need to do that for a clutch rebuild.
    The only gear that can fall out is the one to the starter motor, but that can only go in one way.
    Do you have a workshop manual?

3. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    On earlier models there was a spacer behind the starter reduction gear that could fall oot when the clutch cover was removed and the pin for the reduction gear stayed in the clutch cover. It was easy to miss that the spacer had fallen oot from behind the gear and the spacer kept the gear from coming into direct contact with the case and was the wear surface for the gear. When the spacer was not in place the gear would walk over and get stuck on the case causing the bike not to start. Cant find the spacer in question in a parts diagram for the later models but here is a pick of an earlier one.

https://www.google.com/search?q=vfr...QsAQIdw&biw=1024&bih=615#imgrc=P6rTZiCxi5hG5M:

4. Mason valenzuela

United States
    Yeah, I meant stator magneto thing. As in the small wired electronic bit that has a magnet on it, I can only assume is used to recharge the battery. I don’t have a workshop manual no. Here’s a link to what popped out. It’s in the right. (Just for the record, it popped out accidentally)

https://www.google.com/search?q=199...1#imgdii=cSPYDmpjA1jBFM:&imgrc=3r_9RkC4ifXrtM:

5. Mason valenzuela

United States

The gear that popped out is the one on the right of this picture. I’ll look around my garage floor.

https://www.google.com/search?q=199...1#imgdii=cSPYDmpjA1jBFM:&imgrc=3r_9RkC4ifXrtM:

6. Mason valenzuela

United States
    22A03659-4DA9-4A2F-8319-675F72C2CD3F.jpeg Here’s where the gear seemed to fit. I know this isint quite my model, but it looks extremely similar. I’ll post an actual picture when I open her back up.

7. CaptGarvin

CaptGarvin New Member

United States
    Map
    Fixing to replace my clutch on 2002, but have always had the factory service and parts manual, you should be able to find one online, but will probably be more than a penny, will you take $.03 for bike, you’ll triple your profit?

8. Mason valenzuela

United States

Yeah just bought a used one for $10 online. Thanks, but no thanks. I can get atleast a nickel for it elsewhere.

9. CaptGarvin

CaptGarvin New Member

United States
    Map
    OK, I’ll make it $.08 And I’ll throw in one glove but that’s my limit. Actually wish you luck, a working bike for a penny is priceless. I will keep lookout for your results I hope you post cause I’m about to do my clutch with an EBC kit, curious to what you find as your problem.

10. Mason valenzuela

United States
    Okay everyone I’ve fixed it, just In case you were wondering. I got my service manual in the mail, and read the intsillation procedures for the idler gear, starter reduction gear and the starter. I did all but the starter, and she works now. My only guess as to what was wrong is that when I initially put the gears and pivots back in, I didint lube then up with motor oil (as the manual says to do) and it was causing too much friction for the the gears or move.

But now I have a leaking gasket problem. :/

skimad4x4 likes this.
  11. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Thanks very much for the update - it really is helpful for others visiting forum threads to effectively finish off a thread.

Sadly too often I see Mechanics Garage threads which remain unresolved. Often questions are posed and advice given on this forum which may or may not have helped resolve the issue - but then the thread dies. So it really is great whenever people find time to return to a thread and explain what/how something was eventually sorted out. That way we can learn from you!

I hope you will get that gasket replaced quickly and can soon enjoy your Craigslist bargain VFR.

Ride Safe

SkiMad

34468 Randy and squirrelman like this.
  12. vVertigo

vVertigo New Member

United States
    That a boy! Did you use old gasket, ive done that And got away with it but will replace on new clutch installation. Did you need any special tool to get clutch out/apart? I had another post on a knocking sound after I start off that’s definitely not the cct, it’s intermittent hollow sound and more in the frequency of the final drive, almost like the chain slapping but sounds from engine case. Praying the clutch has something to do with it. Another nice thing to have is the parts book for your bike, it will have the parts as assembled in diagrams to help put things back together properly, and for ordering parts.

13. Mason valenzuela

United States

I’ve bought two gaskets so far and every gasket maker under the sun it seems like. From all the advice I’ve been given, about gaskets, is to use Honda bond and an oem gasket. Still can’t get her sealed up!!

My personal diagnosis is that the Hour that im waiting for it to dry to put it in the oil; is not enough time.

Next time ima let it seal overnight.