Kansas Girl

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by A.M, Oct 18, 2015.

1. A.M

A.M Moderator Staff Member

Hello from Kansas!

I am a proud owner of a 2006 VFR!
    This is my first VFR and I am excited to get to know how she feels and handles.

I am also excited to get to know others who love riding, love the VFR, and maybe even those who love long rides!
    I have the courage to go on long trips alone, but I do not have the knowhow should I get into trouble on the bike.
    The longest ride I took was 14 days/7,000 miles to Gaspe Peninsula, Quebec.
    If I didn't have responsibilities here, I'd be in Gaspe! I love riding just to ride and I will return to Gaspe some day!

Is there anything pressing I should know about the forum or the bike?

I am having her lowered next week because I can only tiptoe on the bike.
    The VFR is definitely bigger than what I've been used to and I want to feel I have better footing than tiptoes.

Hope to see you around here!

2. rjgti

rjgti New Member

welcome aboard

3. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Beware of HOD's on this site.

HOD=horny old dudes

4. rjgti

rjgti New Member

lmfao bb ^^^^

5. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    OMG BB way to say Hi.. sheesh Now as far as lowering. if it were me in that situation, I'd re form the seat first, lowering the bike via a drop in suspension is a way, yet at a cost of fouling up the ride, on a real thought though I understand your concern about tippy toes, I'd work on that confidence and know before I'd start messing with lowering, maybe, adjust the rear shock to it's softest setting might lower it a slight wwhen you sit on it a bit, so depending on your long term goal. that might be enough in the mean time. Of coarse once on the move ride height issues disappears right? if I may ask how tall are you? 32inch inseam? All that said welcome to the nut house. it's full of cool folks, I'd say be wherry of Badbilly, but he's all ready stopped by.

6. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    Welcome aboard Anne Marie. RVFR is offering good advice there, I'd definitely try putting the preload to minimum a both ends before lowering the bike. Next up (and for zero cost) would be slipping the fork legs up through the clamps by no more than 10mm.

If you do lower the bike, try and get both ends dropped equally, to preserve the steering geometry.

All these Hondas are pretty reliable but all share a common potential flaw (along with heaps of other makes/models) in their electrical charging system. The regulator or its wiring can fail, and either overcharge/cook the battery, or stop charging it. Lots of us have fitted a voltmeter to keep an eye on the output.

7. mofo

mofo New Member

United States
    Map
    Hi Marie. Welcome to the forum.
    I too have issues with my 28" inseam, but after lowering a GSX-R, I refuse to lower this one. Have had it for at least four years, and I already got used to its height.
    I do ride long distances alone as well. Been to several states and as long as I can, I'll keep rolling by myself.

8. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Welcome to The World Anne.Marie! Before you go too far with your lowering mod, check out some of the post on lowering here on the forum to see what options you have. I'm sure there are quite a few post that should help you to decide which way to go.

As far as anything pressing about the forum, there are few characters here but they are mostly harmless, the bike however could be a little different. As with any used bike it is always a good idea to give the bike a thurough once over and for peace of mind a full fluid flush/fill. The only real worry about the bike is the electrical system, this is the main wiring harness connections to the stator and R/R. These have a tendency to fail, if not maintained and/or not monitored. Basically, give the wiring harness a good look over and do a test of the stator and R/R to make sure they are performing well. Cleaning the connection terminals and ensuring your ground connections are good is the first step, otherwise these motors are pretty bullet proof.

Cheers!

9. A.M

It had crossed my mind to have the sag adjusted some. I may ask the shop about it next week.
    I am also contemplating cutting back the seat as well.

You are right...once you are moving, it's no big dea.
    But, I can barely back it up. I cannot move it forward at all.
    Beings that there is no way I will be able to pick up this bike should I drop it, I want to avoid dropping it altogether.

If I could maneuver the bike a bit better, that'd be great.
    I'm thinking of times where I rode in the woods looking for camping.
    Or times I was on loose gravel or sand.
    I can't do those things on this VFR yet.

I'm 5'3" with a 28" inseam. :(

LOLzzz, Badbilly.

Thanks for the advice and welcome!!

10. A.M

How do you roll the bike forward or backwards? I can backwards a bit, but would be nervous doing it on loose grade. I cannot roll it forward at all.

11. mofo

mofo New Member

United States
    Map
    I am 5' 4" 135 lbs of solid beauty and a 28" inseam, I can't back or walk the bike either -I do it off the bike when I need to- and I can pick it up myself. DAMHIKT.
    Watch some videos on how to pick it up. I'm not saying is easy for us vertically challenged, but is very doable.

12. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Welcome to the forum

13. A.M

Thank you for that advice! I'll search some of those posts on lowering and gather some ideas to present to the shop. It will have a look over also and get those fluids taken care of. The chain was filthy, but in okay shape. Getting that cleaned too. I just bought and installed a new battery today. That I can do! :)

Yes, I've been reading about the charging system problems. The wiring harness looks good so far and I need to get a meter to test the rest.

I'm on my own now, whereas before I had my exSO who was able to help me with anything on our former bikes.
    So I have a lot more to learn and nothing but basic tools. If I'm ever going to get on the road for a long trip, I have a lot to learn so I can handle things on my own. Reading on forums such as these have already been helpful. :)

14. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Regarding dropping it and not being able to pick it up, think again. There are videos on you tube that show the best way to pick up a downed motorcycle. In fact there is one where a young lady picks up a heavy Harley Davidson (that's redundant).

15. A.M

Ohhh Geee...

Amazes me you can pick it up!!

I have watched videos and practice with an old Katana that didn't mind being down for the purpose of me practicing.

I. Couldn't. Do. It.

I do have somewhat of a weak back, but have always had pretty strong legs and arms. I was surprised I couldn't ever do it.

I'll freshen up on some tips so I may have some more ideas should I need to try it. :)

16. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    Worst thing about dropping your bike is when adrenalin kicks in and turns your knees to jelly. I crashed on oil a week back, and was much relieved when a passer by gave me a hand to get my poor bike back on its wheels. I can't have been completely rattled as I did remember to deploy the side stand before we lifted!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Welcome Anne, I'm 5'6 and had the stock seat shaved between the thighs and alittle off the top, then installed Lustracing triangles to lower it...plus as what was mentioned, raised my fork tubes 10mm....you have to have the kickstand shortened so its not standing straight up....handles great, no adverse affects.
    When moving the bike around either in your garage or parking, always have it on the kickstand when backing her up.
    Alrighty then enjoy

18. MichaelD

MichaelD New Member

United States
    Map
    Welcome Anne Marie. Kinda erie but my wifes name is Anne middle name Marie. She's from Wichita also lol. The bike is somewhat heavy but as was said, watch the videos on picking up a bike. You will be impressed with what you might be able to do. Any problems you have with the bike have more than likley been experianced here. You will find plenty of help here to achieve any repairs needed.

19. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    ANNIE!. I am harmless, useless penniless and sometimes senseless. Well. maybe more often than not.

Welcome to the site. I think you should give yourself some time in the saddle before you start modifying the bike. There are many here that are unable to reach both their feet flat on the ground together and seem to manage fine. I hear you about trying to remain upright, but if you are leaning to the extent that you need a lower bike, I think the bike is about to be dropped. They are top heavy. Having gone through some hell with back surgeries, when mine reaches that point, I just guide it down to lessen the depth of the scratches then get someone to help me lift it. I have watch that video of the young small lady lifting the bike and she sure makes it look easy. But it is even more easy to ask for help to lift it.

We like pix here. If you have more than the avatar, post them up.

ATGATT

ride on sister ride on.

20. RobVG

RobVG Member

Canada
    Map
    White- Excellent choice!

Welcome and you'll find no shortage of advice here.
    And like billy says, watch out for those old guys.

Rob