Kansas Girl

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by A.M, Oct 18, 2015.

1. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    We live voraciously around these parts Missy, so pictures of YOU and the bike please

2. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    The HOD SQUAD has spoken.

3. Knight

Knight New Member

United States
    Map
    Anne Marie it is refreshing that you did not let the bike's height stop you from getting it. Congratulations on getting an awesome bike and welcome to the forum.

My wife and I visited Kansas and it is a prime spot on the map for relocation for us.

In the download section of this site there are factory service manuals in PDF form. I hate using the computer screen and just collected an owner's manual, factory service manual, dealer setup instructions, and also a Honda Common service Manual. Many of these are available on ebay to save money but also available brand new at http://www.helminc.com.

I used http://www.hondapartshouse.com to lookup the tool sizes in the Honda toolkit. I then used https://www.harryepstein.com to purchase quality tools. They have a big country flag on the page of every tool, and most but not all tools are available as American-made, which was important to me. You very will not fit a complete set of tools under the seat, so for traveling you will want some sort of pack or luggage to carry them in.

This is the case on the 5th gen bike but I am not sure about yours: When I adjust my brake lever all the way forward, it stops when the brake light switch hits the bar. Just that touch creates a short circuit. So I must back the brake control off just enough to stop the switch from touching.

After 9 years the switches and connections on your bike are corroded. At some point I suggest you proactively pull apart the electrical connections, terminal blocks, grounds, open the switches, spray these clean, brush/emery contacts where necessary, and re-assemble. As you do that inspect for melted or black wires or connections and repair or replace any such. I bought a '99 and these things were failing when I got the bike. Do not wait for them to fail on the road but be proactive and refresh these connections sometime in the next couple of years.

If you have not then put the multimeter on the bike and check the battery's voltage after several days of sitting, and check the charging rate at idle and 5,000 RPM. Make sure the charging system is currently working.

How many miles are on the bike? Honda recommends valve inspection and adjustment around 16,000 mile intervals. You will find many people who completely ignore this because it can be a full-day expense for a mechanic. While people are hard-pressed to find any Honda engine whatsoever that has failed due to valve problems, you must always ask yourself if you want to take a chance. The other issue is having a trustworthy mechanic. So many bikers have had this stuff done, and the bike comes back with equipment disconnected and such. So just finding someone trustworthy to do this turns owners off completely. My Honda dealer did not even call back to quote the job, they just don't care. I am hoping my independent mechanic will inspect the valves as we prepare for him to take the bike for fall maintenance.

You will find people here with upwards of 150,000 miles on this bike. If you treat it well, it will treat you well.

4. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    :welcome: to the zoo :wave:
    Another shorty here :scubalong:
    Make yourself like at home. You will find many good info here
    and please don't wake up the WOLF :wink:

5. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    I'm feeling a bit put out here Duccmann; you never wanted any photos of ME!

6. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Bring it on fella

7. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    This one is a bit far away, but I'm just to the left of the guy in the striped jumper. I drew an arrow to make it easier to pick me out.

NewZealandFromSpace.jpg

8. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Funny guy you is...I see ya

9. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    Definitely my best angle.

10. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Welcome to Sapporo, on the south west coast of Hokkaido. Been there done that stayed in Ishikari for four nights. Fabulous trip that was.

11. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    Mm mm.....only 9000km out Randy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Had to go back and take a second look. Man with the cloud cover, that shot does look a lot like Hokkaido. Then again, I have never been to New Zealand....yet. My bad.

13. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    That's a very fine correction! You are forgiven your geographic transgression. NZ and Japan have a lot in common. If you watch the Tom Cruise movie The Last Samurai, that was all filmed here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    Welcome aboard KS girl.

Damn, you're ugly Cadbury.

15. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    Think I'm bad, well you should see my brothers:

295332_421581947923217_1235487333_n.jpg

I live in Auckland, where the Orcs come from.

16. thecat

thecat New Member

welcome Anne Marie. I am one of the shorties too.
    Here's what I did. Lower the seat by trimming the foam. You'll be surprised by the amount you can take off the top and sides. If I remember correctly, there are two foam layers and you can trim even down to the second layer. That would take an inch off and trimming the sides will help. It's firmer then but the trade off is a plus because if you shape it right, you will reduce sliding onto the tank under braking. Added benefit for me is that I feel I sit in and with the bike instead of feeling like I am top of it. I reckon the lower cg overall is another benefit.

I also have boots where half inch has been added to the soles.

I weigh 65 kg so I set my fork preloads to the softest , four lines showing. Also raise the forks 9mm.

The rear is also on the softest setting.

All these combined allow me to have both my feet flat on the ground particularly important when my wife is pillioning.

You can also adjust the clip ons to swing back a couple of mm to shorten the reach. And raise it too for comfort reasons if you have raised the forks.

Coming off the bike, I always put the side stand down first. Pushing the bike around, I grip both handlebars and have my right hip snug against the tank.

Always check out the gradient where you are stopping or parking to pick the more convenient option to resume your ride.

I avoid like the plague taking the bike on grassy areas as you never can tell where there holes that will catch your front wheel at low speed. As for control on gravel, our bikes are front heavy so try and reduce tracking by leaning back a bit, put a bit more weight on the rear wheel. It can help.

On the bike, prepare to stop by checking out the road camber and prepare to use the left or right foot to plant on the higher side.

Over time I have become familiar with the balance of the bike when it's at rest.

If you still want to lower the bike, the stock shock links can be rotated and I think the bike is lower by at least an inch. And it's free. You only have to get some help to do this...

Cheers

17. A.M

A.M Moderator Staff Member

That's awesome it worked great for you! All these comments are so helpful! After reading those last week, I performed seat surgery last night. :)
    I have also looked to the LR triangles and raising forks. Like you mentioned, I heard great things about that method. Glad to hear from you personally about it!!

18. A.M

That is eerie! This is an avatar name...it was my French name while taking French classes. Is your wife French?!
    Yes, much heavier than what I've been used to. I hope if I ever need, I'll be able to lift it...or ask. :)

19. A.M

LOLzzz, thank you for the welcome! Thank you for the helpful comments!

After doing some more reading throughout the week, I decided to wait on lowering and attack the seat first. The bike is definitely more top heavy than what I'm used to. I had more footing on my CBR600f4 and only ran into problems on that when trying to get out of a forest in Maine. LOL (dark at night, pulled off side of highway, made way through some trees, set up camp, woke up to wet leaf-covered ground...that kinda sucked).

So...last night I attacked the seat! I'm about to post about it and hopefully it could help others. Went out for a ride today...needlesstosay I'm SOOO happy with the results in more ways than just better footing. :)

I need to hit up the western Canadian provinces. Great to meet someone from BC! I LOVE CANADA!

YES, ATGATT or I don't ride.

20. A.M

LOLzzz, I'm on my own, but I'll try to get more pics of me and the bike here and there.

But I will be posting more of the bike and my adventures with my stock seat from last night! :)