Laminar Lip

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by rshimmel, Jan 7, 2003.

1. rshimmel

rshimmel New Member

I put a Laminar Lip on my 02 veefer and it does a pretty good job quieting the airflow in the cockpit. It's personal taste, but I think it looks more trick than a touring style replacement shield, too. And if you go for a pure sportbike ride with friends and are concerned about looking too much like Joe Touring, the lip detaches from its 3M mounts in about a nanosecond, give or take. ;D

2. rshimmel

rshimmel New Member

Well, I'm replying to my own posting because I noticed the program edited my description of the place from which one controls the bike, as in, the place from which one flys an airplane, and transformed it into "thingy"pit. Sorry about that.

3. michael

michael Guest

haha i thought i turned that stupid language filter off!

michael

4. jcm

jcm New Member

Hi Rick: I'm looking for a touring windshield. How much more height does the laminar lip add to protection ?

5. rshimmel

rshimmel New Member

The way they had the mounts positioned when delivered from Laminar, it added about 2" in height above the trailing edge of the stock shield, but that's kind of deceiving. When I get around to remounting it, I'll probably move it down a bit because what's more important with the Lip is the separation or gap between it and the windshield. The air flow from over the windshield is actually directed under the Lip and then lifted by the Lip's airfoil. I don't know how it's performance would compare with a touring windshield, but it sure quiets things down over the stock shield. Check out www.LaminarLip.com for details about the physics of it all, and some good photos...

6. jcm

jcm New Member

Hi Rick: I'm looking for more protection for some touring on my 01'. The Laminar Lip looks interesting. Does it raise protection enough in the cockpit that you can ride without a tuck and be comfortable? Also, where there other touring windshields you've seen that might be good? Thanks, Jeff McQueen

7. rshimmel

rshimmel New Member

I really can't say whether it performs as well as a taller, touring windshield...I just know it's better than the stock shield. GIVI makes a euro-style touring shield with a smoke tint that looks very nice, but I've never ridden behind one. You can see a picture of it at azmotorsports.com ... Good luck!

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Zero Gravity makes a nice sport touring windshield.

Easy to install.

Joe

9. rshimmel

rshimmel New Member

I've actually been toying with trying a double-bubble just to see how that compares to the stock shield and the Laminar Lip. Based on some of the comments in this forum, some guys swear by the double-bubble while others seem unimpressed, so it may boil down to personal preference--you would think the manufacturers would do wind-tunnel comparisons to market their products... :-/

10. Guest

Guest Guest

I have a Givi touring windshield on my 99. Moves the air right up to my helmet causing considerable buffeting. I put up with it as it keeps the cold air in spring and fall from connecting with my body exceptionally well. I think I am going to try this puppy as an alternative. Will post my comparo.

11. Guest

Guest Guest

I have a Givi touring windshield on my 99. Moves the air right up to my helmet causing considerable buffeting. I put up with it as it keeps the cold air in spring and fall from connecting with my body exceptionally well. I think I am going to try this puppy as an alternative. Will post my comparo.

12. rshimmel

rshimmel New Member

I finally got around to lowering the Lip on my bike by moving the 3M hook & loop mounts...that reduced the separation between the Lip and stock shield to about
    1 1/4" at the leading edge and 1 3/4" at the trailing edge. It seems to feel even better in that position, although this stuff is subjective. Over 80 mph the benefits are slight, but below that it feels pretty good. I still think one of our friendly cycle mags should do a shield comparison with wind-tunnel testing... If Lance Armstrong can do it, why not us? 8)