LCD not showing on VFR800 Fi-x 1999

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by bri69cho, Mar 6, 2013.

1. bri69cho

bri69cho New Member

Hi all

Am aware this been covered, am looking for spares rather than advise really.

had problem with battery after bike had been standing and fixed this although in process at some point the LCD dispaly has stopped displaying anything. Am guesssing something shorted when trying to start the bike with naff battery, it wasnt holding charge and started was draining it ridiculusly fast. Am assuming as well there is no easy fix and am hesitant at paying £250+ for a new panel.

Can anyone suggest anywehre i might pick up a second hand one in servicable nick?

2. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Are you sure it's not the fuse? My instrument console went out on me, everything but the clock, and it was a blown fuse. What was perplexing is that I could not find the cause of it while I was on the road. Finally found the issue with the front brake switch, as soon as I squeezed the front brake lever, out went the lights (literally). Not sure if the 99 and 09 have the same wiring setup for the instrument cluster but it's worth investigating.

3. SteveWhite

SteveWhite New Member

United Kingdom
    South Ockendon, Thurrock, United Kingdom, United K
    Map
  4. bri69cho

bri69cho New Member

Unfortunately it wasnt the fuse, the clock 10amp is fine :(

Battery was low last time i had key in but wasnt displaying with engine running which makes me fear the worst.

5. bri69cho

bri69cho New Member

Partzilla show it as £250+ :(

6. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Again, not sure if the two models are the same or different but the clock fuse on the '09 is different than the instrument panel fuse. When the fuse blew, the ONLY thing on the dash that worked was the clock, everything else went out, including the headlights.

7. SteveWhite

SteveWhite New Member

United Kingdom
    South Ockendon, Thurrock, United Kingdom, United K
    Map
    Sorry mate I read it as the LCD not displaying, thinking you meant the pcb was shot.

Found one on eBay, but that's still £249

8. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    this is what the board looks like with the LCD screen removed from it. My guess is that your board is likely bad and the display is fine. But really I have no way to know for sure and am no expert on such matters.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That's pictures of my spare. My gen 5 had a smashed gauge cluster and LCD display. I bought a serviceable unit off ebay and then swapped the boards with the good LCD display so that my mileage remained accurate.

There's a chance I'd consider parting with the spare board but with spring coming it's just a matter of months before another smashed unit shows up on ebay for cheap.