LCD Woes

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by UnknownVariable, Aug 6, 2017.

1. UnknownVariable

UnknownVariable New Member

United Kingdom
    Hey,

I've had a search and can't find a similar problem.

My LCD display on my 5th Gen is acting up. As soon as I turn the key so the ignition is live, the clock resets to 01:00am, and then around a second or so later the whole display goes completely blank. It'll remain blank all the time the bike is running. If I leave the bike overnight and return in the morning, the clock will then be visible and showing a time (however long ago it came back). As soon as the ignition is live, repeat the above problem.

The rest of the dash works fine.

The battery is new, so I can rule that out.

Any suggestions what could be causing this?

2. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    Hmmmm, have you tested your battery volts at idle, and 4-5k?

Wondering if your R/R is going south. It can cause all sorts of weird stuff. It even changed my email passwords....oh wait, or was that duh russuns?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
  3. A.M

A.M Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like a YUUUUUUGE problem. Think the russuns are the root of all electrical gremlins.

I haven't had the exact dash problem as you, but I have had issues intermittently namely with the clock. All sourced to electrical issues. New battery, inspected/cleaned grounds, and did same and greased up connectors, new wiring harness, now stator r/r replaced this summer. No more issues.

I'd stated with what Derstuka mentioned about testing. Do the drill:

http://vfrworld.com/threads/the-drill.52131/

Hope you get it solved.

4. tenko

tenko New Member

United Kingdom
    Last year my LCD went blank,the whole panel. clock,fuel gauge and temp you may not want to hear this but it was the printed circuit on the rear of the dash board it had been rubbing against a cable hence breaking the circuit .I,m no mechanic but top fairing off dashboard out meter over printed circuit if you cant see the break if it is you solder a piece of wire to create a loop over the joint job done.I can,t use a soldering iron to save my life so a pal did that part i done the rest not too bad a job for the weekend and no garage bill. happy hunting Bud.