LED Headlight Install - 5th Gen

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by zoom-zoom, Dec 14, 2013.

1. vfrcapn

vfrcapn Member

United States
    Map
    Update 9/23 - 3rd LED bulb burnt out, I'm down to one working bulb from the two kits sent me. I let it go since 7/31 since the bulbs were still working. Going to swap back to the halogen OEM asap and ask the eBay seller for a full refund.

2. zoom-zoom

zoom-zoom Member

Canada
    Map
    Hey Capn

I am very sorry to hear about your consistent issues with your LED's. That has to be the worst run of luck with a product I have heard about in a long time. What would be very interesting to know is exactly what is causing the failures in the first place. Wish I knew. Though I can't offer you your money back, I would offer up that I have a spare LED Headlight kit that I had purchased for my wife's bike, and since she is not yet riding the bike and likely won't be riding at night for at least a couple years, she has suggested that I offer you the kit for her bike. Shoot me a PM if you are interested and I will gladly send it to you. I realize I didn't manufacture the kit, but JEEZ with all the bad luck you have had, I feel bad for starting the thread and instigating your trip down the road from hell.

3. Mohawk

Mohawk New Member

Did you guys order the exact same kit ? I've not had any issues with mine in car, or either bike !

4. zoom-zoom

zoom-zoom Member

Canada
    Map
    Hey Mohawk

Yeah, VFRCapn and myself ordered the same kit through the same company. Unfortunately, it would appear that Capn has had nothing but issues with his LED's. The kit on my bike however, has functioned flawlessly ever since the install. I would venture to say that without a doubt Capn puts more miles on his bike than I do but my original kit has lasted for well over 4500 km's now with no issues. There was another member on the site that also installed a kit in his 4th gen, and he had an issue with one of the drivers failing as well, but only once and then he switched back to regular bulbs.

5. vfrcapn

vfrcapn Member

United States
    Map
    No worries, certainly not your fault in any way. I'll PM you about the other kit. Not sure which way I'm going but was leaning to putting the reliable halogens back in.

I'm not sure what is causing it, bad luck or maybe some voltage/amp spikes? I haven't had any electrical issues in a couple years. I've put maybe 6K miles on the bike since putting the original kit in.