Leo Vince db killers

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by VFRNZ, Sep 8, 2014.

1. VFRNZ

VFRNZ New Member

New Zealand
    Map
    When I got the bike it already had the Leo Vince exhaust sytem, but apparently the previous owner removed (or didn't fit) the db killers.

IMG_3273.jpg

Comparing the mufflers with some pics online, I guess those are the older SBK ones. There's no reference to the VFR anymore on the LV website.

I don't really mind a louder pipe, but on the long runs the drone of the exhaust is starting to annoy me.

When I just had the bike it didn't really bothered me, but now it seems as if they got louder over time.

I had a look but didn't know they had so many different type of baffles. Some are obvious they won't fit, but others really look alike and could be fitting (or not).

Just want to give it a try with the baffles. Does somebody know what type of baffles will fit those mufflers and where I could get them.

It's already not easy to get that stuff over here, and with Leo Vince getting out of business it didn't get easier.

2. Dead Eye Dick AKA Carpy

Dead Eye Dick AKA Carpy New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Just look on ebay for motorcycle exhaust baffles, theres loads on there. Just measure up the size you need and get some on order

Be safe
    D.E.D. aka Carpy

3. Arnzinator

Arnzinator New Member

United States
    Map
    VFRNZ, I could be wrong about this. The DB killers & baffles are two different parts. See pic

20140909_102503.jpg

The DB killers are the little disc's that insert in the front portion of the muffler.

4. Dead Eye Dick AKA Carpy

United Kingdom
    Map
    If you look up DB killers or baffles you end up with the same parts. If you put those discs in the front of the muffler you are putting one hell of a restriction in the exhaust. The o p wants to quiten his exhaust down not stop it flowing. If you put "motorcycle exhaust baffles" into ebay the results that appear will complete the required task.
    I have MTC cans on my bike with removable baffles for the same purpose.

5. Arnzinator

Arnzinator New Member

United States
    Map
    I wasn't by any means suggesting the OP install anything. Merely stating that DB killers & baffles are two different parts. At least when it comes to Leo Vince exhaust systems. Rather than go to the info-web I referenced the parts that came with the Leo's I installed on my 07 VFR. I also looked at the install instructions but those are poor at best.

Like I said, I could be wrong.

6. Dead Eye Dick AKA Carpy

United Kingdom
    Map
    With all due respect to you, considering you have fitted leos to your 07 VFR you appear to be rather vague as to your own set up ?

I fitted MTC cans to my 07 with removable baffles/db killers. I do not know how Leo Vince classify their constituent parts but from my own experience with my cans a db killer or baffle performs the same function, I do not have any of those disc like parts with my setup

Having looked up the word baffle here is what I found as a definition

noun: baffle; plural noun: baffles
    a device used to restrain the flow of a fluid, gas, etc. or to prevent the spreading of sound or light in a particular direction.

Obviously a db killer is to kill or reduce the number of db the exhaust is producing so the same effect as a baffle

Heres a link to a clip of mine in action, apologies for the poor clip but it shows what the op is trying to achieve

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_pLJZe0bwo

D.E.D. aka Carpy

7. VFRNZ

VFRNZ New Member

New Zealand
    Map
    I'm looking for the pipes you can insert in the back of the exhaust (on most of the webpages I saw they are called db killers).

I did a search on ebay and I can find similar items, but most of them don't have a reference to the dimensions, they refer to a model number (e.g. Leo Vince db killers nr 32)

I had a look on the LV website but couldn't find any documentation about the inserts.

The end pipes of the mufflers have an I.D. of 48 mm. I guess I need to know what product number would fit the pipes.

8. Dead Eye Dick AKA Carpy

United Kingdom
    Map
  9. Arnzinator

Arnzinator New Member

United States
    Map

You seem to think I'm disagreeing with you, I'm not. Just pointing out that according to Leo Vince DB killers & baffles are two different parts. You're right both reduce or control noise which is why people interchange or apply the term "DB killers" to both. As for my own set up I'm obviously running Leo's. No baffles or DB killers installed.

10. Arnzinator

Arnzinator New Member

United States
    Map

I double checked the install instructions & there is no part # reference to anything. As I said the instructions are poor at best. The system on my bike is the later or Evolution 2 with the conical style end caps. I checked the muffler outlet diameter & its 52 mm. With the baffle having a slightly smaller measurement of 51.75mm. There is a # stamped on the baffle 32B. When your looking for a baffle should you find someone that has the originals from Leo make sure you specify you have the earlier system.

If you're gonna try & go with something from ebay, you'll have to find something that matches the turn down angle of the tip.

11. VFRNZ

VFRNZ New Member

New Zealand
    Map
    Thanks for looking. I already noticed that most of the after market ones were straight inserts and wouldn't fit the Leo's with the angled down internal pipe. I don't really want to risk buying some that won't fit correct in the end, risking to never get them out again. That's why I like to have the matching original LV inserts.

I narrowed down my search to a couple of inserts in the 30 numbers (I guess I can scrap nr 32 from my list now :smug:). I guess in the end I'll get there.

12. VFRNZ

VFRNZ New Member

New Zealand
    Map
    Found a Dutch web site with the references for most of the LV db killers.

DB Killers.jpg

Compared some pictures of the ones with a 48mm diameter and at least I now what to get now. Nr 31 is the one I need.

13. Arnzinator

Arnzinator New Member

United States
    Map
    Nice find! I see you udated your avatar. Your bike looks awesome with the blue wheels.

14. VFRNZ

VFRNZ New Member

New Zealand
    Map
    Thanks, wasn't sure about having the wheels painted blue. I couldn't find much reference material. Apparently it hasn't been done often.

It turned out better than expected. I'm really happy with the final result.

15. MikesVFR

MikesVFR New Member

I know it's been a while but did you ever have any luck finding the DB Killers for your SDK's? I'm in the same boat, Carbon Fiber SDKs with no inserts - my neighbors are not going to be OK with this!

16. jethro911

jethro911 Member

United States
    Map
    If you aren't having much luck locating a bolt on solution you could always have something fabricated locally. Just a thought..since it isn't a complicated part to make.

17. VFRNZ

VFRNZ New Member

New Zealand
    Map
    I finally found them on ebay from a German seller.

MK Bikeparts

Just look for the nr 31 db killer. He has them listed for other bikes but they are all for the same mufflers.

18. B6_Dolphin

B6_Dolphin New Member

United States
    The Leo Vince db killers can be purchased through Parts Unlimited, a major aftermarket supplier to the dealerships, which means you order through the dealership's parts department.

For the 48 mm db killers, the Parts Unlimited P/N is 1861-1057.

A link to the db killer:

http://www.parts-unlimited.com/products/?productId=363187

19. rhoderage

rhoderage New Member

Canada
    Map
    I have the LV SBK's as well, and although the bike sounds GREAT without them, I run the baffles full time - the noise level without can certainly draw negative attention, it really sinks into my head on long highway rides, and i leave for work at 4am (i wouldn't want my neighbor waking me up with an unnecessarily loud exhaust)

Money well spent when you find them.

PS i have never inserted the discs pictured above, agree they must be crazy restrictive, and the baffle tubes muffle the sound as needed

20. rhoderage

rhoderage New Member

Canada
    Map
    I have the LV SBK 2, and although the bike sounds GREAT without them, I run the baffles full time - the noise level without can certainly draw negative attention, it really sinks into my head on long highway rides, and i leave for work at 4am (i wouldn't want my neighbor waking me up with an unnecessarily loud exhaust)

Money well spent when you find them.

PS i have never inserted the discs pictured above, agree they must be crazy restrictive, and the baffle tubes muffle the sound as needed

IMG_20150818_070435a.jpg