Let the farkling begin!

Discussion in '7th Generation 2010-Present' started by Dangerous Dave, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Endpoint is when your new bike weighs twice what it did stock. Less whoever is riding bitch.

2. Dangerous Dave

Dangerous Dave New Member

If weight were that big an issue, why would you even buy a VFR12?

3. Badbilly

United States
    Several reasons. I got a deal by paying cash and there is no sales tax in Ogeron. I bought my 91 new and saw no reason to dump it for any of the other "geromerations" Never did really understand that shit anyway. The real reason is that one time I got abducted by aliens on my 91 and I figured that a heavier bike would offer me more protection from thier beaming up ray than the 91.

I hope by the time you are done with your 1200. They will just pass you up instead of beaming you up. (pardon the use of the clumsy prepositional phrasing)

For your data base, check this out:
    Sport Bike Motorcycle Weights and Measurements, Horsepower, Torque and Fuel Economy - Dimensions - Sport Rider

More darn weights and measures than you can shake a schtick at. (whoopsie! another PP)

So the question now is 1314 lbs wet a better protection level from being abducted or am I gonna be OK with half that weight not including a hot bag of Jo-jo's?

Anybody got one of those germerational things on Honda 90's they can share?

4. Dangerous Dave

Perfectly ok, I've been known to end a sentence with a preposition once in awhile myself. So who am I to judge? Funny, your particular breed of humor (not knockin' it) reminds me of a guy I used to race with in WERA. Ironically, we all called him BBBB...that was for Bad Boy Billy Brownsberger. A very entertaining guy for sure. I saved a lot of his writing for the entertainment value until I lost it in a hard drive crash. That couldn't be you, could it??

Point is, everybody is all up in arms about adding 10 lbs of toys to a 590 lb motorcycle! It's already pretty damn portly by sportbike standards when a CBR100RR weighs almost 150 pounds less. If you want a lightweight sportbike, don't buy a VFR1200 and then quibble about 10 or 15 lbs. I accept it for what it is and 10 or 15 lbs of GPS, HID, RAM, or GIVI is NOT going to ruin this motorcycle! It's a luxo-sport-tourer and still will be when I'm done with it...even more so once I do up the suspension. We have a sand and gravel place right next door to my shop. I wish I'd weighed the bike when it was new and all stock (I take bikes there all the time and they weigh them for me). But I'll most certainly weigh it when I'm done decking it out, and we'll see just how much weight it's really gained. Your chart above actually surprised me. Most of the mags I read put the VFR12 at 590 +/- 1 full of fuel, while this chart puts it at 595 without fuel (of course they don't say whether that's with or without factory add-ons). That's a BIG difference. 4.7 galls of fuel is 28 lbs! That's just 25 lbs shy of my old school FJR WITH side cases on and 6.7 gallons of fuel on board. IOW, the VFR12 ain't exactly svelte. It carries itself very well for it's size and weight. But to make such a big deal about 10 lbs of toys on such a heavy bike is ludicrous. Say what you will, I'm going to fix it up the way I like and ride the shit out of it...fast.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  5. Badbilly

United States

At least now you know why harleydoods are never abducted by aliens or anyone else. Feeling economical with words this fine morning let us look to more graphic illustrations of potentially what can occur if some restraint is not shown. I point you to page 106 of the April issue of Cycle World magazine.

I have heard tales of dry weight being calculated on bikes not only sans fuel but oil and electrolyte. I would submit that the data in the spreadsheet was supplied rather than researched.

The sand and gravel outfit near my place in Seattle has a scale too. Never used it, but I think sweeping it first might be a good idea. Even a half inch or so of any cementatious material on who knows how many sq/ft of surface might throw the weight off a bit.

I'm a little confused about your last sentence. Are you going to add all this stuff fast or ride fast after you add all the farkles? One thing we can both be certain about, nobody here will ever catch up farklewise with one of our more prominent members.

6. Maz

Maz New Member

Unrelated question. How does the VFR compare to your 05 FJR?

7. Dangerous Dave

Damn Billy, you're tougher than my old Technical Communications instructor from college. I'm farkling slowly, but riding fastly.

So I guess you're not the Billy Brownsberger I used to know? You sure write just like him.

8. Dangerous Dave

I'll have to say it's apples and oranges. The similarities seem few to me. Something specific you're looking for??

9. Badbilly

United States

If the FJR is toast, the VFR must be a baguette.

10. Dangerous Dave

More like a croissant. ;-}

11. Badbilly

United States

Whew! Thanks. Can't have those machines talking to each other now can we? Next darn thing ya know they will be asking each other silly questions. Left to thier own devices they might ever develop a whole curriculum based on farkling.

The other BB with four B's sounds like the bee's knees.. ;)

12. Dangerous Dave

Fixed it for ya. ;-}

13. Badbilly

United States
  14. Badbilly

United States
    Apologies.. A baguette is a small bitch who just fell off a Harley. Fixed that damned PP right skippy..

15. Dangerous Dave

Heh, heh...you said PP. ;P

16. Badbilly

United States
    Prepositional Phase..

Read about a Urologist that had a custom plate that said "PPMD".

Somewhere in this unlverse there is a team of some sort that has the initials "PP" . Hopefully they are not flashing the #1 sign too often.

17. Dangerous Dave

Got it the first time. Still.....I just couldn't let it go. Dohhhhh! We're spiraling out of control now Billy!!

18. Maz

Maz New Member

I was thinking that they are in the same sport touring category - a sporty bike with bags, etc. I was wondering about handling in straight line and for cornering, comfort, wind flow, engine characteristics, like that.

19. Badbilly

United States
    All good. One must have a jo-jo sensor installed for the complete sport-tourer. Wind flow is great unless it's a side wind then it's just like any other faired bike.

20. Dangerous Dave

Ok, those are things I can address. Of course a lot of it is subjective. The VFR is DEFINITELY sportier than the FJR, which is why I've always thought it would be a good replacement. The FJR was never really sporty enough for me. That's not to say it won't haul ass around a corner, but it's a VERY top-heavy bike. You have to be comfortable throwing a BIG bike around a corner to enjoy the FJR. Fortunately, I fall into that category. It's the Ergos I could never get happy with. The Feej is just too upright for me, and if you're riding two-up, you can't really rearset the pegs, because then you start bangin' feet with the passenger. And you can't rearset their's because of the side cases.

Most FJR owners have been through a couple or three seats trying to get comfy. Seems the Russell "Day-long" and the Bill Mayer (sic) custom seats are the faves, if you don't mind your bike seat looking like it came off a John Deere farm tractor. I tried stock (unbearable!), Corbin (not comfy), and Sargeant (decent bang for the buck, but still not great). I've not ridden my VFR any long distance yet, so can't comment much, but stock vs stock I think it's better than the feej just by virtue of the riding position which is more sportbike-like (off your ass and tailbone). But I'll proabably be going with a Corbin for the VFR just so I can get a backrest for the wifey.

Likewise, every FJR owner has tried three windscreens trying to stop the buffeting and get some quiet behind the shield. I tried stock, Yamaha accessory, Cal-Sci, and V-stream before settling on a stock shield with Laminar lip. It was as good as or better than any of the others (and doesn't look like a barn door), which is why I didn't hesitate to buy the Honda lip for the stock shield. I've not installed it yet, but I have high hopes. The stock shield on the VFR isn't quiet by any means...definitely not as quiet as the FJR shield with the lip. But it's a nice clean wind blast off the stock VFR shield. No buffeting at all, but I can't hear the tunes from my Chatterbox on the highway either. I'm hopeful the lip will help there.

Engine characteristics? Now there's a can-O-worms. Again, apples and oranges. The Feej was an inline four that was geared way too short and with only a five speed (I think the second gen, '06+ got a sixth gear, but different ratios across the board). I was always looking for a sixth gear that didn't exist, but the engineering behind it was that you were more likely to be in the meat of the powerband for passing sans downshifting. Whereas on the VFR, I feel like the top two gears are almost superflous. On my backroads trip to work, I have to make myself shift out of fourth. It's just so damn smooth at 4 grand. I'm not used to a motor that pulls like a diesel, and while the engine can certainly pull down there, it's not nearly as smooth.

So...compare the two? There's no comparison. Just depends on what you like. If you're not a knee dragger, and don't mind a relatively upright riding position (relative to a sportbike), you could be very happy with an FJR...after finding the right seat/screen combo. If you're a sportbike guy like me, fuhgeddaboudit.

I'll spare everybody the "cruising range" discussion. It's just a sore subject for me right now. But the feej will go 250 miles on a tank even when I'm being a very bad boy. That saves alotta fuel stops when you're riding from Dayton, Ohio to Ft Meyers Beach, FL via Deal's Gap. 'nuff said.

Side note: The wife always said I was gonna jinx myself for saying this all the time...but the FJR is INVISIBLE to cops! I could pass a cop at a hundred and they'd just watch me pass and go back to their paperwork. Craziest thing I ever saw. Seven years of that shit and it never failed. Fucking INVISIBLE!