Looking at a 2000 VFR with just under 30,000 miles

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by Garrell Herndon, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Garrell Herndon

Garrell Herndon New Member

United States
    Greetings, saw a 2000 VFR on craigslist with less than 30,000 miles. The bike is about 2 hours away. He said he'd take $2500. Says there's a small scratch from a parking lot tip over. I haven't ridden in a few years, and have an itch to get a VFR. The price seems reasonable. He says there's no issues. I haven't seen the bike yet.

I have seen reports that some VFRs have issues with electrical. I don't want to purchase problems. I had a 97 VFR 750 that never gave me any issues. Is it crazy to buy a 17 year old bike and hope for no problems?

Thanks in advance.

2. GreginDenver

GreginDenver New Member

United States
    Map
    I prefer not to hope.

A year ago I bought a '99 with just under 20,000 miles on it. The bike had been cared for according to the prior owner, but "cared for" means different things to different people. My VFR's prior owner was careful about cosmetic things, he changed the oil regularly, he changed the coolant at least once and he replaced the chain and sprockets once.

So the bike looked nice when I bought it, but it was 18 years old and had never received any of the long-term maintenance a bike needs: it had the original fork oil in the front fork, original spark plugs, it had never had the valves adjusted, it had the original thermostat in it, the hydraulic brake and clutch lines where full of sludge, and the list goes on.

I ended up going through the bike front-to-back, top-to-bottom. http://vfrworld.com/threads/refurbishing-my-99-5th-gen.52488/

Garrell Herndon likes this.
  3. VFR4Lee

VFR4Lee Member

United States
    Map
    The mileage alone is not an issue.

Garrell Herndon likes this.
  4. bigbadbass

bigbadbass New Member

United States
    Map
    much like Greg in Denver...I acquired a '98 with 20K a few years ago and since purchase elected to do steering stem bearings, fork seals, full caliper rebuilds, associated bleeding, clutch discs, valve adjustment (11 were out!) , VTR fan mod, thermostat (extensively cleaning between the V while there) , fuel pressure regulator, starter valve synch, injector seals, POR 15 the tank, mosfet voltage regulator (replacing associated crusty wires while there) Racetec Gold valves, 929 rear shock, rear axle related service. And of course the usual ...tires, chain, sprockets.
    I'm sure I've forgotten to post some stuff too.

Keep in mind the sheer age of the bike justifies a full maintenance program, mine ongoing over a course of years within my ownership. I've about reached the end now.

The payoff? AWESOME PERFORMANCE and RELIABILITY...on a moments notice I'd jump on this thing RIGHT NOW (with 41K) turn the key and ride it cross country....without any hesitation.

Be cognizant going in...a 17-18 year old VFR will require some often overlooked or even consciously neglected basics.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
  5. VFR4Lee

VFR4Lee Member

United States
    Map
    There's a lot of stuff you can't clean thoroughly without some significant disassembly.
    Like any bike. :Yield:

6. GreginDenver

GreginDenver New Member

United States
    Map
    [​IMG]

Garrell Herndon and VFR4Lee like this.
  7. VFR4Lee

VFR4Lee Member

United States
    Map
    I remember the wooden work stand. :Clap2:

8. Garrell Herndon

Garrell Herndon New Member

United States
    The thread this came from reminds me of "zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance".

9. VFR4Lee

VFR4Lee Member

United States
    Map
    "Maintainence" in my mind does not involve taking it completely to pieces and cleaning every last nut and bolt.
    That would be more refurbishing. Anyway. :Yield: