Looking for some tire advice

Discussion in '7th Generation 2010-Present' started by Robclo, Jan 23, 2013.

1. lshark

lshark New Member

i wore out the fronts faster than the rears on my vfr12
    got great mileage out of the PR 3s...much better than stock B-stones

2. Volfy

Volfy New Member

How the front and rear tires wear out depends on the bike as much as the rider. If you ride with a heavy right wrist, you might go through 2 or more rears for 1 front. Same applies to those who ride 2 up loaded with gear a lot. OTOH, if you like to dive into corners hard and/or generally a hard braker, then front might wear faster.

3. glory racing

glory racing New Member

United States
    Map
    Don't be confused. Since you have a new rear tire, have them install a new front and enjoy the ride!

FYI...I only get between 806 - 2300 miles out of a set of tires. You will be ok and love the new SET of tires!

4. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    What the hell. I live just a little west of you. I'm hurt . You never have called me to go for a ride !

5. Robclo

Robclo New Member

Canada
    Map
    No wonder you've got a few sets in the garage. I'd rather sacrifice a few miles for getting closer to the pavement as well, unlike your area we've gotta bit of a trek to get to the good stuff.
    Thanks for your thoughts, think I'm siding towards getting them to put on the 190 GT and I'll spring for the front.

6. jethro911

jethro911 Member

United States
    Map
    Some day I hope to knock on your door Randy, then we can scoot down to Long's for a beer and some brats.

7. glory racing

glory racing New Member

United States
    Map
    Being comfortable and confident is the key to riding smooth and safely...regardless of the pace. If the 190 will do that for you, then that is the correct decision. See, you weren't confused and made a good call! There is nothing like the feeling of that first ride after installing a new SET of tires...Enjoy!

8. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    IMO everyone here should join in in a big round of virtual applause for Randy and Jethro for including thier brats on rides.

9. lshark

lshark New Member

i ride in suburban NYC area, so anything heavy with the right wrist is typically followed by some heavy braking....and those VFR12 brakes are almost as much fun as the throttle, so i go through fronts faster

10. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Take your wheel off and call those boneheads and tell them they put the wrong tire on...size and brand and to pick it up and deliever WTF..is that how they treat there customers? I would be very concerned about ANYTHING they told you about the bike. F*+KING ASSWIPES. JMO

11. lshark

lshark New Member

call Honda and have them recommend to the dealer what to do

12. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    With all this sage advice about which end wears out first, what may we draw if both ends wear equally in places other than NY, Arkansas or East Timor.

13. Robclo

Robclo New Member

Canada
    Map
    Got to the dealer today and they made good. I decided on the Pilot 3's, they'll cover the cost of he rear and I got a bit of a deal on the front. Thanks for all the advice, I feel better about getting the matching front and the right size rear. Will be my first time deviating from stock, looking forward to seeing how they perform. Just have to wait a couple more months.

14. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Two thumbs up....glad it all turned out for ya

15. Volfy

Volfy New Member

PR3 is primo ST tire. Have them on my C14 and love them.

16. RustyBit

RustyBit New Member

Couldn't agree more, put the Q2's on mine a couple of months ago, the difference is staggering. I'll stick to the VFR over the ST though, my bro' has one, OK if you are 6' plus, I'm built like Dani P and couldn't push it backwards etc.

17. alang

alang New Member

Map
    +1 duccmann

18. Dangerous Dave

Dangerous Dave New Member

I'm afraid I have to disagree. I know many people that are blessed with living in or very near to twisty mountainous areas. The kind where one must go through a LOT of curves to get to a straight bit. I envy them and wish I was one of them. For the rest of us poor sods, we must go a few miles to get to an all too brief set of twisties that make us smile for a minute or two if we're lucky. I have mercilessly flogged "sport touring tires" in the some of the twistiest bits of road in America, with the wife on the back, the luggage fully loaded, and the footpegs scraping loudly. Modern sport touring tires are fantastic! Unless you're one of those lucky few who spend hours switching from knee to knee and butt cheek to butt cheek, be that in the Swiss Alps or at a track day at Barber Motorsports park, modern sport touring tires are as good as you'll ever need. If you're not one of the lucky few, "sport" tires will just square off all too quickly, and the side to side transitions will be horrible. You'll be forced to throw them away and buy another set in 2000 miles or less, especially on something as heavy as the VFR12. Sport tires are for the lucky few who see far more curves than straights. It's not about the bike, it's about where you're lucky (or unlucky) enough to ride.

19. RustyBit

RustyBit New Member

You may be right about the life span of the Q2's, time will tell, but anything that gives me an edge (pardon the pun) like these on the street - manouverability, braking & overall confidence, I'll live with. They seem to warm up even before the first corner and do not move around coming off the first few corners like the Roadsmarts. Correct me if I am wrong but I believe the centre compound, although narrower is harder than the Roadsmarts, I've put almost 1000k's on them mainly on the street and highway and am not seeing ANY wear. The Roadsmarts were great for a street tyre in the twisties, but they also square off, plus I only "legally" got just on 6000k's on the rear anyway. If they do start squaring off then I'll just have to force myself to go do a track day (bugger) or a good hard fang on the backroads. They are also cheaper than the equivalent "sports touring tyres" and IMHO they are worth it.

Cheers Rusty

20. lshark

lshark New Member

i got over 11,000 miles out of my Michelin PR3's..and they handle great !!! i'm on my second set of pr3's now, got 5,500 from the OEM Bridgestones and my fronts wear out before the rear