LOWERING LINK FOR VFR800

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by MCT54, Mar 13, 2003.

1. JRotten

JRotten New Member

I am also 5'7" with a 29" inseam but instead of lowering, I raised my VFR by shimming 4mm the rear shock. The reason for this is mainly because I was grinding the hell out of my stock exhaust when I have it crank over during a right turn. After shimming I gained another 1/2 inch clearence which made me during stops reaching for the ground with my toes.

My VFR is a 2000 which had too SOFT of stock suspenion. I have riden a 2002 and the stock suspension is much better so I am not sure about the conering clearence issues have been resolved. Just something I wanted to point out.

2. Viffergirl

Viffergirl New Member

What is suggested for a lowering kit for a 2005 VFR? I'd like to stay upright this summer and not tip the bike like I did twice last year - because of a full tank of gas and my height which is 5'-4" tall. I shaved the seat last summer. That helped considerably. I can now sit almost flat-footed at a stop light. My concern is uneven roads at stops and gravel. Therefore I'd like to get the bike lowered. Any suggestions?

3. Dr WeaseL

Dr WeaseL New Member

Map
    Viffergirl, i think you can rotate the triangular shock mount, and that will lower the bike approx 3/4" and im told that you add a corbin or sargent seat then that adds a little lower center of gravity for you... lemme know i will look up the links for this mod for you...:peace:

Michael

4. Viffergirl

Viffergirl New Member

MCT54 - would those dog-bones fit a 2005 VFR?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2006
  5. Viffergirl

Viffergirl New Member

thanks Michael - that would be great if you could look up the links!

6. Dr WeaseL

Dr WeaseL New Member

Map
  7. Viffergirl

Viffergirl New Member

Thanx Doc! Much appreciated! I'll give that a go when the snow melts. LOL!

8. growler

growler New Member

I just installed this link on my 2000 VFR, and wow, I loved it immediately! I'm 5' 4", with a 29" inseam... and lowering the bike with this link made a huge difference! Before lowering the suspension, I could only touch the pavement with the rubber tips of my boots -- which made parking a bit of a puzzle. :tongue: But between lowering the bike, and then getting a custom-fitted seat (from Rich's Custom Seats in Seattle) I can now very comfortably touch the ground with the balls of my feet. Honestly, only a tiny bit of my heel does not touch the ground now.

(Interestingly, I didn't need to change the front forks myself, since the previous owner had lowered them (for some reason...) which had caused the bike to sorta "dive" into corners recklessly... but after lowering the rear, I took the bike out for a test drive, just to see how it handled before I touched the front... and I loved it -- it handles like a dream! No need to mess around with the forks.)

I did have a bit of a problem removing the old link, and had to remove the exhaust first; also, the freaking catalytic converter was pissing me off, and I thought a few times I'd just have to give up on the project. But my mechanic friend kept slaving away at it, cursing like crazy... and after snapping-off a few different tools, managed to get the original off (I swear the bolts were tightened by King Kong...). After that, it only took a few minutes more before installing the new link. But FYI: watch out for the exhaust on your 5th gen bike -- and that catalytic converter!!

Anyhoo... love the link. Highly recommended!

9. aussie Bob

aussie Bob New Member

Map
    Hi Ran
    I have just ordered one of your kit, and hope to get it really soon.
    Thankyou again
    aussie Bob

10. googus

googus New Member

lowering

I just lowered my 00VFR for free. I looked at the how to dos on the VFRDISCUSSION board. What you do in short is to rotate the triangle plate so th elettering is toward the back and facing up. This lowers the bike 3/4 of an in. Then I lowered the front about 2/3rds of an inch and I could not be happier. I can finally touch the ground with the balls of my feet intead of tippy toes. Again it was free.
    'Greg

11. aussie Bob

aussie Bob New Member

Map
    HI, I have just installed Randy's Kit for the VFR Now I have My feet on the ground, but It is there any one that can tell me how to re set the rear shock?
    aussie Bob

12. Viffergirl

Viffergirl New Member

Send Randy an email. He's very accommodating and I'm sure he will help you with this matter. He's MCT54 on this site. Let us know how it works out, eh?
    Cheers
    :smile:

13. aussie Bob

aussie Bob New Member

Map
    HI, I think I have worked out on the rear, but myu front fork bottonig out on big steep drive away, have only 3" left on the front, I will go and see if my fork need to be service and my be a new spring will be the go.
    aussie Bob

14. marcandmer

marcandmer New Member

I would like one also. Is it still available?

15. SAFE-T

SAFE-T New Member

Wow. This is an old thread. I bought one of these links, but later sold it because I changed my mind about lowering the bike. But it was excellent quality.

16. cooper_mm

cooper_mm New Member

Map
    Did you ever find out if this link fits on a 03? I'm interested in the link and a side stand.

17. vfr23

vfr23 New Member

Just to throw this out there to you guys, but I have been working on the lowering thing for a while and changing the distance of the hole on the triangle that goes to the swing arm is a lot easier than changing the lowering link. also lowering the vfr with the stock spring and shock makes it hard to ride two people and on hard dips and hard rights. anywho, if anyone wants more info about my way email me at joedanngnn@hotmail.com and i will make you a set of triangles labeled for positioning so you cant install it wrong and i think i will do it for around 35 US dollars.

18. bgarrett

bgarrett New Member

lowering kit

Is it still possible to get a lowering kit for my 99 VFR

19. arm1151

arm1151 New Member

I have an '06 VFR800. Would like to lower it for my wife.
    She is currently riding a '94 Magna with a seat height of 28". She has both feet planted flat on the ground with room to spare.
    Will your link work on my bike?
    What is the lowest seat height I can achieve?
    Any one know what after market seat sits the lowest?

20. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I don't know how much different it is, but my wife can sit on my bike with the sargent seat on it. She's 5'7 or 5'8 I think. I think she has her feet almost flat. Mine is a 5th gen, though so I'm not sure how close it is to yours. Tori would be a good person to ask. He is of a smaller stature and rides a 6th gen.