magnetic vs. strap tank bag

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by DVMSVFR, Mar 9, 2008.

1. DVMSVFR

DVMSVFR New Member

United States
    Map
    I know this may seem like a stupid problem but I am struggling between a magnetic vs. strapped tank bag on my '94 VFR. In the past I have had a strapped but now it seems magnetic are more popular. My tank bag stays on my motor almost all the time. I am a little worried about how easy a magnetic bag can be stolen. At the same time it seems convenient without the straps. I do plan on "electrifying" my tank bag via a accessory plug in the steering stem. Let me know your opinions. By the way I have chosen the Cortech 14liter. Thanks ahead of time.

2. cheyanne9

cheyanne9 New Member

I have tried the magnetic tank cover and it never fit quite right.
    I don't think I would purchase another one.

2006 VFR

3. SCraig

SCraig New Member

I like magnetic tank bags. I have a Nelson-Rigg that I use on both my bikes and love it.

As you suspected they are not secure to theft. All it takes is a good yank and they are off so I never leave mine unattended. If I go in somewhere it goes with me. Of course a few seconds with a sharp knife and one with straps would be gone as well.

Personally, given a choice between a strap-on bag and a magnetic bag I'll go the magnetic route every time.

4. SLOVFR

SLOVFR Member

United States
    Map
    I like my magnetic bag it has shoulder straps you can put on it and a built in bladder. You can take it around like a back pack and have your drink at the same time while protecting whatever you have in it!!!

5. drewl

drewl Insider

United States
    Map
    I have a little field sheer magnetc. I like it due to the ease of taking on and off, especially when feuling. The only thing I worry about is wear marks under the magnets. I do my best to wipe them off every time I move them.

6. SCraig

SCraig New Member

Oh yeah, that reminds me of an important point regarding magnetic bags: Always check to make sure the magnets haven't picked up junk like paper clips, straight pins, etc. before putting it on the tank. It will well and truly make a mess of the paint if there happens to be something there. Haven't done it myself but I've read enough sob stories to always check mine.

7. DVMSVFR

DVMSVFR New Member

United States
    Map
    What about leaving the tank bag on all the time? Does it affect the paint job? What about storing your wallet while traveling and having credit cards close to the magnet? Has anyone messed up something due to the magnet?
    Thanks.

8. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    I have used a Tecnik for two years now riding right through the winter's rain and all. I carry my wallet and all its contents in one of the side pouches near the magnets along with the Magnetic Swip Access card for my work. I have had not problems at all that way. The magnetic domes off easily but that is good. I remove it every time I park. And ride just about every day. I swear by the magnetic for it's eas of use. The point of scratching is a very valid one though. But my bike is Pearl White so the small scratches do not show.

9. LVVFR

LVVFR New Member

Map
    Dont electrify it

I would'nt electrify my tank/bike with a zapper alarm. I knew someone who did this to thier car and was sued when a child touched it. My friend was lucky the child was ok but very shaken up. I wanted to hook it up on my bike too, but it's not worth it. A thick Kryptonite lock and cable along with a motion alarm should do just fine.

10. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

I think he's talkin' about running a Powerlet type cord into his tank bag to charge a cell phone, run an ipod, etc. I don't think he was going for a security system......

11. DVMSVFR

DVMSVFR New Member

United States
    Map
    Correct, I am using the Powerlet package to bring power to the tank bag for electric vest, cell phone, etc.

12. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    I use a strap bag because I know that the foam pad will never, ever scratch the paint. I don't know what the magnetic bag will do. End of the issue for me.

13. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    even thou I'm not a fan of tank bags this is what sounds like what I have too. thou I converted mine to my Video equipment bag.

14. JTC

JTC New Member

United States
    Map
    What about the style that hard mounts to the gas door frame that never actually touches the gas tank. I'm trying to get a buddy of mine to lend me his for reg's BBQ.

15. BJ Sim

BJ Sim New Member

I've had the same RKA magnetic tank bag for 15 years and it's still good to go. With magnetics you can switch up which bike it's on without moving straps. They are very secure and padded underneath to protect the paint.

16. hondawolf

hondawolf New Member

I have an icon tank bag and it works great. have used it on a few different bikes and loaned it to friends. Has straps to wear as a backpack too. Big enough for a day trip, small enough to not get in the way. Never had a problem with it causing scratches or messing up the paint. The magnets are strong. Used it on my naked, cb600f, on windy days, it stayed in place no problem. I've had it for two years, gets used 99% of the time, and has about 15,000 miles on it. Still looks as good as the day I got it.

17. DVMSVFR

DVMSVFR New Member

United States
    Map
    For those of you who use magnetic bags, do you store the bag on the bike itself or take it off after every ride? There is a warning that comes with the Cortech bag recommending not storing the tank bag on the bike due to its magnet possibly damaging the paint. Didn't know if this actually happens or if they say this to protect themselves from litigation.
    Thanks

18. hondawolf

hondawolf New Member

I leave mine on the bike during the weekends. But ride the bike to work, so the bag is constantly coming on/off. Been using it on my vfr for a little over a year, and havn't noticed any problems. I get more light scuffs (that buff out) from my jeans on the tank. They might be saying that to protect them from the rare possibility something happens. Some paints are composed of different materials, and that might cause a problem, such as metalic paints, which have some metal flake in them.

19. Swoop

Swoop New Member

New Zealand
    Map
    I have one of the Dryrider magnetic bags and love it.
    As others have said, far easier to remove from the bike - ALL the time. I prefer to remove it since there are too many people with a knife that can get it off the bike or open it up.
    So long as you check the magnets have not picked up anything, the bag stays in place and dosen't do any paint damage.
    Mine came with a headstock strap (which has never been used), bungee straps, shoulder carry-strap and a rain cover.

I chose the two piece bag. The top section zips off leaving a smaller (4" high) bag, which is really handy for day trips with minimal junk to carry. The top of both bags have map pockets.:cool:

20. Nungboy

Nungboy New Member

Map
    Two rules for you:
    Don't ever leave a bag on a bike if you want to keep it when you walk away from it.
    Don't ever leave anything on a bike that you want to keep when you walk away.
    Don't leave anything on a bike that you don't want vandalized when you walk away.
    Oh, that is three things...I have heard of people pouring liquids and other goo into helmets that are left on bikes. People are cruel...
    You have two hands...use 'em when you leave your bike all alone...
    AND LOCK THAT BIKE UP TOO! :blah: :blah: :blah: