Michelin Pilot Road 2 tires

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Puma Cat, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Puma Cat

Puma Cat New Member

I just put a set of Michelin Pilot Road 2 tires on my 1999 VFR. I only rode them to work today and back, but my initial impressions are very favorable. The tires make the VFR lighter steering, but no less stable. They make the bike feel more nimble than the other tires I've ridden that came on the bike. They also have a very, very nice ride quality...supple but not squishy. The bike really handles nicely with them. I will post again when I have ridden them harder in the twisties this weekend, but overall, I really like these tires. Thanks to John452 for his post in my other thread about these tires.

More later, count on it....

-PC

2. VFR Steve

VFR Steve New Member

I live in Las Vegas and deal with hot road temps. I am looking for new tires for my 06 and a local shop recommended the CTC Pilots for the area. Does anyone have anything to add regarding tires and hot road temps? I use my bike to commute to work almost everyday and need to maintain decent mileage. I only got 7,500 on my stock set of tires. The front is showing the wear bar with equally spaced bumps on both sides of the center of the tire. The rear has a lot of wear left but it does have a ridge on one side of the tire that could be attributed to the road crown. I have read that the stock tires are junk but I am not sure if what I described is common to these tires or if it is due to hot temps.
    Thank you in advance for your help.

3. elf800

elf800 Banned

i understand the heat brother dunlop has a new tire out called ROADSMART duel compounds soft edge harder middle is shown on the back of red rider mag this month with that awesome looking burgandy red vfr look them up ive had dunlops before on other bikes and had good luck with them my fav was 208's but think they are gone :( ive had mich metzler cont yoko bridge chen yes was in finanial distress then strug student . im gonna try them(roadsmart) but i ride smooth no burn outs and sliding around corners on the street like a crazy man so i get a little more miles out of them / i got 1400 on my mets and still have titties 3 inches from middle and yes my tire where line is half inche from edge...oh yea i believe dunlop r usa made mich france like to keep our people workin.........:drink:

4. VFR Steve

VFR Steve New Member

Thanks for the reply elf800. I have decided to go with the Pilot Power 2CT based on info. i received from some local riders. I'll post my thoughts on the rubber after i get a chance to put on a few miles.

5. bitterpil

bitterpil New Member

United States
    Map
    I switched to the Michelin Pilot Power 2CT when it was time to change up from the OEM Metzelers. It is like night and day. Changing tires totally changed the characteristics of the bike. Handling is much better and confidence is high. These tires are very grippy even when cold.
    These are a multi compound tire with a hard compound where you need it most. In the middle of the tread. Michelin claims little to no loss of traction through most of the tread life.
    I have over a 1000 miles on this pair and am happy.

I have some scrapes on my bike because of a low-side on the Metzelers. The tire was very hard and lost a considerable amount of traction even though it still had over 50% tread life left. Considering the hadling improvment alone of the Michelins I will never go back to the Metz.

I understand Dunlop came out with a multi compound tire called the Roadsmart. Ridermagazine.com (week of march 4th video) had a report on it that was favorable. Wet traction on these is supposed to be superb. I may try these next time around. But then again I really like the Pilot Powers.

6. John Kiewicz

John Kiewicz New Member

I just inherited a set of lightly used Michelin Pilot Power tires with the intension of putting them on my 2007 25th Anniversary Interceptor. However, the Michelin Pilot rear tire is slightly larger (190/50ZR17) than the stock Metzler ME04 (180/55ZR17). Another Interceptor guy I chatted with today said that the wider rear tire will negatively affect the handling.

1. Is this true?
    2. What size Pilot Sport rear tire are you guys running?

7. bitterpil

bitterpil New Member

United States
    Map
    My rear tire is 180/55 17. My bet is that the larger tire would change the handling. Acctually, various things about tires will change the handling. Tire compound, size and profile. The OEM metz is a more rounded profile which take a bit more effort (slower) on turn in. The Pilot powers are more traingle (cone) shaped profile which creates a faster turn in and thus a more nimble feel to the bike. Most touring tires are harder compounds and rounder profile.

Again, I would think that the wider tire particularly if not matched / balanced with the front would adversly effect handling. If you drive straight, Very straight, probably not so much. My opinion is that handling is one weapon you have in your defense out there on the road and you shouldnt compromise it.

Go for handling/traction then wear.

Just one opinion.

8. emon07

emon07 New Member

United States
    Map
    I have the Dunlop RoadSmart tires on my 5th Gen VFR and I like them a lot. I have been running them for awhile now and love the ride - firm but not harsh at all, stable on various surfaces, great feedback, excellent wet weather performance with confindence inspiring grip,(real stable on high speed sweeps, stable as hell leans on twisties). I am in NYC and I ride year round. It is still cold here, but the Dunlops RoadSmart tires get warm fairly quickly. I commute to work and do some out of State riding. The past wekends I have rode to Boston, Philly, NJ and Ct. The Dunlops are simply great in all aspects - grip, stability, feel/control, super stable on groved and grated surfaces, smooth ride. The stock tires originally on the bike were crap for me. I had the Avon Storm ST tires on my VFR and liked them mainly for the wet weather performance and they warm up quick, but feedback was vague for me. The Avon Storm ST tires also have a road hazzard warranty - I had flats on the front and rear tires during the first two months after I got the tires. Avon honored the warranty and replaced the tire both times. The Avons are good, but the Dunlop RoadSmarts are GREAT for me.

9. Superceptor02

Superceptor02 New Member

Anyone have any information that could help me to decide which tire to buy. I need to buy tires in the next couple of days and have narrowed it down to the Bridgestone BT 021 or the Dunlop Roadsmart. Any deciding info would be very appreciated.

10. emon07

emon07 New Member

United States
    Map
    Definately Dunlop RoadSmart.

11. nozzle

nozzle New Member

United States
    Map
    John: I have the Pilot Road 2's as well. So far so good, but I mostly commute vice hit the twists. You can ride with the 190 rear without clearance issues I think... but have no first hand experience. I don't see the point of going with a "higher performance" tire than the stock Metzlers if the tire shape is not what the suspension is designed for. If you were drag racing the slightly larger contact patch might be a good thing, but the VFR is not the bike to drag race.

You might want to ride the Metzlers until they don't do something you expected them to do, then go to your other tires and see if they are better or worse in the same situation.

Good luck with your choice.

Prosit,

12. bitterpil

bitterpil New Member

United States
    Map
    Honestly, If the roadsmarts were available when I as choosing tires, I would have bought them. I was looking for something that was better than the metzelers that came on the bike and the Power Pilot 2CTs were just that. They offered the best of both worlds. Milage with agility. That said, I think the Dunlop Roadsmart might be a better choice for our bikes.

13. bitterpil

bitterpil New Member

United States
    Map
    Honestly, If the roadsmarts were available when I as choosing tires, I would have bought them. I was looking for something that was better than the metzelers that came on the bike and the Power Pilot 2ct were just that. they offered the best of both worlds. That said, I think the Dunlop Roadsmart might be a better choice for our bikes though. Can't speek to the Bridgestone.
    you can go to ridermagazine.com and watch a video on the Roadsmart. Watch (week of march 4th video).

I do have to say, I really do like the 2CTs. They have a really sporty feel. My concern now is when I try the Roadsmarts next, I might miss the handling.

14. drewl

drewl Insider

United States
    Map
    I have been quite happy with the Pilot Powers that I put on last month. My dunlops were cupped in the front and flattened on th rear, so new tires make a world of difference. Only done mild twisting so far...so far so good.

15. John Kiewicz

John Kiewicz New Member

Nozzle,

The factory Metzlers have been pretty good, but a few weeks ago I was doing a pretty aggressive ride with a buddy who has a tuned Honda 954 and I reached the limit of the ME04's. The scrub patten went all the way out to the sidewall edge and the tires started to get greasy... to the point that in a right hand knee dragger the back end stepped out and I nearly low-sided the bike in grand fashion.

I would probably go with a factory sized rear tire had I not just inherited a nearly new set of Pilot's that spec out as 190 for the rear.

In other news... anybody know if the Interceptor's computer will freak out if I install a set of aftermarket headers, eliminate the cat, and run the stock exhaust silencers (it sounds odd, but I actually like the look of the factory mufflers)? Would such a combo add any power (I know that it would shed some weight).

16. Puma Cat

Puma Cat New Member

I'm still lovin' the Pilot Road 2s.....great tire.

17. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    The Powers wet or dry are a great tyre but they are light and wear down thin, have had 3 rear flats since 2004 all inconveniently in the rain and near their lifes end. I'm hoping the brilliant R2's are more flat resisitant.

18. nozzle

nozzle New Member

United States
    Map
    John: You are beyond my skillz to comment on what tire would help you. I don't ride her that hard. Glad she behaved and kept rollin' for you. :smile: -Paul

19. DVMSVFR

DVMSVFR New Member

United States
    Map
    How come nobody talks about the Continental Attacks? They are a great tire too :eek:(

20. nyteshades

nyteshades New Member

I had the 2ct's on my f4i and I loved them...down side is I would burn thru a rear in 4500-5k miles. When they heat cycle themselves to death they are worse than OEM tires. I think they are great for handling, but short on life.