Michelin Pilot Road 2 tires

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Puma Cat, Feb 28, 2008.

1. julianivfr

julianivfr New Member

Canada
    Map
    I don't why everyone keeps complaining about the OEM tires. I have 11k on my Bridgestones.:biggrin: The front has evenly spaced bumps on either side (same as mentioned on the first page of this thread. WTH do the bumps mean anyway?), and the rear has a baby's-bottom bald patch in the middle. They seem to ride okay...I think. The bike did wobble furiously when I tried to test out the ABS in the rain a couple of weeks ago :ninja:.

Before you folks descend on me, I am awaiting PR2s :cool:

Last edited: May 31, 2009
  2. newviffer

newviffer New Member

+1 on Michelin PR2 rear and PP front.

3. VT Viffer

VT Viffer New Member

United States
    Map
    Is Derby Cycles still the best price on the Net for the Pilot Road 2?

4. julianivfr

julianivfr New Member

Canada
    Map
    When I ordered, there was a $1 difference between Derby Cycles and Motorcycle-superstore. I've purchased PR2s from both. Derby shipped an hour after my payment was sent. Great service, either way you go.

5. VT Viffer

VT Viffer New Member

United States
    Map
    Just picked up the LAST ONE IN STOCK 170/60WR17 Michelin Pilot Road 2 from Dennis Kirk for $163.99 shipped (Derby Cycles was $191.99 shipped).

Going to ride out the Dunlop Qualifier on the front this season - although it's pretty cupped at this point. Hopefully this isn't too deadly a tire combo...:rolleyes:

6. VT Viffer

VT Viffer New Member

United States
    Map
    BTW - there will be a ceremonial send-off :evil: for the 6,000 mile old rear Qualifier. I'll be sure to post the YouTube link once it's up. :flame:

7. Sebspeed

Sebspeed New Member

United States
    Map
    Dude, throw a new front on there too. I've ridden harder with the PP/PR2 combo than ever before, and I was running Diablo's before. On a recent trip to TN/NC, I was comfortably dragging peg and knee left and right on many on the awesome roads down there.

People that use the VFR for it's sporting characteristics diss the stock tires because, while they wear like iron, they also ride like iron. I wouldn't give a Metzler Z4 to any of my friends. Not only did I not have any strips on those tires, they were shredding at the edges, even after warming up. They cold shear and slip like crazy when you try to push them!

I should also mention that this is my first time mixing tires, and it did take me 50-75 miles to get used to the difference in profiles, but now that I'm used to it, they rock!

8. Puma Cat

Puma Cat New Member

They're doin' great; I love them. I have at least 6000 miles on them and they still do not look worn; remarkable. They have excellent handling and nice ride quality. I can't say good enough things about them; I'm going to put them on my 600s for street use as well.

9. AOD

AOD New Member

I'll chime in since I've run a few tires on my 2006 VFR now and currently have the Pilot Road 2 on both front and rear.

For clarity, those saying they have a Pilot Power 2CT - these are NOT the same as Road 2. Road 2's are a 2CT tire, but with a hard center and Pilot Power-like side. The PP2CT's are race tires, even softer than the original PP.

I have almost 1000 miles on the Road 2's in about a month, I like the way they handle. They feel just like the Pilot Powers I removed.

Previously I ran the Pilot Powers. Great tire, but wore oddly on a ~1500 mile round trip that involved backroad highways. Grip was nice...more tire than I'll ever need, but since I take a few longer trips each year, I need a harder center.

I've run about 500 miles on the original Bridgestone tires, they suck.

I've run about 1500 miles with the Pirelli Diablo Strada's that came on the bike. Nice tires, good even wear to the end, good trip dry/wet.

I'll report in to see how the Pilot Road 2's do on mileage for me.

~Adam

10. VT Viffer

VT Viffer New Member

United States
    Map
    I don't know if this link will work for everyone, but here's my Facebook video of the VFR annihilating the Dunlop Qualifier. Gotta love it!

VFR 750 Burnout

11. JBzRed07

JBzRed07 New Member

Just ordered a pair of Michelin Pilot Road 2CT's from Motorcycle Superstore for my 2007 VFR - $286.98 incl. Free Shipping. Thanks to everyone here for the informative feedback regarding these tires.

I currently have the Dunlop RoadSmarts on my bike; however, I have been putting up with an annoying vibration from the front tire, in which I have had it balanced twice already without success. The dealer thinks it might be a defective tire; with that being stated, I am not taking any chances on it. Since most of you speak so highly of Michelin's line of Pilot sport tires, I can certainly respect your confidence and trust, as well as the expressed opinions of other riders in these tires. I do believe I've made a well-informed decision to purchase the PR2ct's.

Thanks! :high5:

12. buttonhook

buttonhook New Member

Maryville, TN (six miles from the dragon)
    do not buy the BT021's get the road smarts

13. Hootch

Hootch New Member

United States
    Map
    Nice...funny shit :)

14. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    Going on a couple of days tour with loads of back road twisties next week, what do folks think should I replaced my now shagged Front Pilot R2 with a Pilot Power or with a new R2 ?

15. Spectre

Spectre New Member

The Michelin Road Pilot 2CT's get my vote. :thumbsup:

16. pfbmgd

pfbmgd New Member

Having the R2 for 3000 km now .I would say to with the R2 .I have been cornering quite hard for the street without issues .

17. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    Looks to be a moot point as there are no R2's in the Country, will post how the Pilot Power front works with the Road 2 Rear.

18. hally

hally New Member

i have anew 08 vfr it came with dunlop sportsmax tyres and they suck put a pilot 2 road on the back last week and after 600 kms feels so much better i am pissing off the sports max onthe front soon cause it wont turn in with confidence and try a pilot i will let you know how it feels

19. hally

hally New Member

can anyone out there give me an exploded view of the mufflers of my 08 vfr as my mate and i want to cut them up and take the shit out of them

20. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    Ended up locating a R2 Front so decided when I'm onto a good thing I'll stick with it, just covered about 1000 miles in 2 days of dreadfully washed out potholed country back roads with total confidence, zero moments and unless an R3 comes out will continue to use Michelins brilliant Road 2's. :thumbsup: